Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kzoonut

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2002
Colorado
I'm trying to settle an argument between myself and a friend -

My friend seems to think that optimizing and defragmenting a hard drive is a necessary maintenance task in OS X. After a recent bout with Norton Speed Disk, Disk Doctor and DiskWarrior he's rendered several previously bootable disks unmountable on several occassions - but is still convinced that there's bad sectors out there that need to be cleaned up on the drives. He says "don't shoot the messenger" in regards to these tools - but I can't help but think those tools might have caused more problems than they supposedly identified and tried to fix.

My thoughts are that the new UNIX underpinnings of OS X do a much better job of handling fragmentation and although I'm sure it still occurs at some level, it's not enough to seriously hamper performance. I also think that OS 9 and windoze OS's did a very poor job of handling files and that why those tools are so predominant on those platforms. I've played with Linux for a couple of years and have never heard of a defrag tool for any *NIX.

What are the significant differences between HFS+ and UFS systems in regards to fragmentation? Does having a drive with OS 9 and OS X installations cause optimization/defrag nightmares? What roles does the fsck utility play? Isn't that executed as a disk check everytime OS X boots? Is a disk optimizing tool needed for OS X? Should it be part of a regular maintenance schedule? Is so, what is the best tool?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.