Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 15, 2013, 08:56 AM   #1
SVTmaniac
macrumors regular

Switching to 5S today from Android and traveling internationally next week.

Hello everyone, long time Android user here. Recently I converted my entire home over to Apple. I bought two new retina macbooks for me and my wife and a iMac for the office. I swapped my new Nexus 7 for an iPad Air and now the final piece of the puzzle is getting rid of both of our old Android phones in exchange for two new 5s.

We are currently on Verizon and I will be staying with them, my question is that we are traveling at the end of next week to London for 5 days and then continuing on to Dubai for another 5 days before returing back to Arizona. I've traveled overseas once before with my current Droid Razr MAXX and when I did, I just popped in a local SIM card and used my phone. This worked ok but I had to trim the SIM card down because my phone uses some Micro SIM or something. Also my data would not work at all when I was there.

I'm hoping that the 5s will work a little better when we travel next week. Will I be able to just pick up a SIM card in London and Dubai and pop it in and go? Or will I need to trim the card again like I did last time and will data work? I want to be able to pull up google maps and stuff while I'm there so that I don't get lost walking around.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
SVTmaniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2013, 08:59 AM   #2
revenent
macrumors member

When i travel, i usually just request for a Nano SIM card if i am purchasing for my iPhone 5 or a micro SIM card if i intend to use it in my iPad 2. Not sure if it works in a similar way in Dubai but when i travelled to London, i was able to get them.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Go here and check your phone's IMEI number:
http://iphoneimei.info

(Can be found in Settings > General > About)

If it says it's unlocked, you're good to go. Just buy SIMs as you travel. If it's locked to Verizon then you'll have to call them. I have no idea what their policies are. AT&T unlocked my 2 year old iPhone when I traveled, but only because the contract was paid off. You'll have to talk to Verizon to see what their policies are. They change so often I can't keep track.

If they unlock it, great. But if they won't unlock it then your choices are to either pay whatever international roaming fee Verizon wants to charge you () or just put your phone in airplane mode and use it on just Wifi when you travel (and get a cheap little local phone for making phone calls).
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Graphixx30
macrumors newbie

All Verizon iPhone 5S's are factory unlocked.

Old Nov 15, 2013, 09:27 AM   #5
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040

As others have pointed out, all Verizon iPhone 5/5c/5s are GSM unlocked.

As for the SIM card, if you can't get a nano SIM, you're going to need to trim it down.
T5BRICK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:18 AM   #6
SVTmaniac
macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips everyone. So if I'm understanding correctly the 5s takes a Nano Sim card? Looks like my current Droid takes a Micro Sim Card. That sucks because I was hopeing to just swap SIM cards and keep my same number today.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTmaniac View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone. So if I'm understanding correctly the 5s takes a Nano Sim card? Looks like my current Droid takes a Micro Sim Card. That sucks because I was hopeing to just swap SIM cards and keep my same number today.
Your number shouldn't change if you swap SIM cards. You're talking about Verizon, right?

*EDIT* Additionally, the fact that your data wasn't working when you were in Dubai last time may have had something to do with your APN settings.

Last edited by T5BRICK; Nov 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:37 AM   #8
SVTmaniac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5BRICK View Post
Your number shouldn't change if you swap SIM cards. You're talking about Verizon, right?
I know it won't change if I swap them, but the 5s uses a Nano and my Droid uses a Micro SIM, so I won't be able to just swap them like I wanted to.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:39 AM   #9
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I know it won't change if I swap them, but the 5s uses a Nano and my Droid uses a Micro SIM, so I won't be able to just swap them like I wanted to.
If it works anything like AT&T, when you activate your new phone, it is activated with the included SIM which disables your old SIM.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:43 AM   #10
SVTmaniac
macrumors regular

Quote:
If it works anything like AT&T, when you activate your new phone, it is activated with the included SIM which disables your old SIM.
Yes but I added a line to my Verizon account so it's going to come with a new number. I had planned on just swapping the Sim and giving the new number to my old phone, and keeping my old number for the new phone. I didn't realize they took two different size SIM cards though. Hopefully they can help me out when I pick it up at the store today.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:46 AM   #11
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yes but I added a line to my Verizon account so it's going to come with a new number. I had planned on just swapping the Sim and giving the new number to my old phone, and keeping my old number for the new phone. I didn't realize they took two different size SIM cards though. Hopefully they can help me out when I pick it up at the store today.
Ah, yeah, they should be able to. At the very worst, you could pick up a SIM adapter to throw the nano SIM into the Droid, and cut down the micro SIM and throw it into the 5s.

Are SIM cards even required in Verizon phones? My wifes old iPhone 4s works fine without one installed.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:47 AM   #12
SVTmaniac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Ah, yeah, they should be able to. At the very worst, you could pick up a SIM adapter to throw the nano SIM into the Droid, and cut down the micro SIM and throw it into the 5s.

Are SIM cards even required in Verizon phones? My wifes old iPhone 4s works fine without one installed.
They are required to use LTE, since the 4s doesn't have LTE it didn't need one.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:49 AM   #13
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a

You can buy a $10 car trimmer on Amazon and trim the cards you buy overseas down. Really simple and cheap solution. Just search nano sim cutter on amazon.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone