Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old May 2, 2012, 12:47 PM   #26
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
legal never has and never should mean it is ethical.

It is is a cake walk to be unethical and legal. Problem is in business ethics have gone out the window.
So, what you are saying is because they are within the bounds of the law it is still unethical? Ok.

Not debating the business ethics have gone out the window. I think in some instances this is true.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:50 PM   #27
bobr1952
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post
For some things I will continue to shop at Amazon but this will likely drive me more toward the local B&M stores. For me the only reason for shopping online is if the price is enough cheaper to make the hassle of returns worthwhile. And yes Amazon is certainly the best online retailer when it comes to returns, but a local dealer is always preferable IMHO.
I guess for me the returns are one of the best things about Amazon. Just go through their online menus and print the shipping label to send the item back free of charge--and get instant credit to your Amazon account. I suppose if there was a store nearby like Amazon it might be different but there isn't--and even Best Buy is not so close that I enjoy driving there.

As an example of my laziness, I buy a lot of my clothes from Kohl's and there is a local store that is not too far away but still I can't resist the urge to buy online--and pay Florida sales tax--and shipping.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:54 PM   #28
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

They've been talking about this for a while. Texas is not the last state that this will happen to, I think NC is right around the corner. I always compare prices anyway, Amazon is not always cheaper even after free shipping and no tax. The cheapest gets my business unless I need it right away and there is very little I need right away.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:58 PM   #29
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
So, what you are saying is because they are within the bounds of the law it is still unethical? Ok.
He is saying that merely being legal does not make something ethical.
Old May 2, 2012, 02:18 PM   #30
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
exactly.
Saying if you are 100% legal means you are also being ethical is setting your ethical bar VERY VERY low.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 04:05 PM   #31
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
exactly.
Saying if you are 100% legal means you are also being ethical is setting your ethical bar VERY VERY low.
Wow... ok then. I guess we can all agree to disagree then. If the law says you can do it, then by all means do it. If the law says you can't, and you do it anyways then you should be punished.

What is so unethical about shielding your money? I am sure you two pay taxes no? I am sure you use every single instance in the IRS hand book that allows you to shield your money so you don't have to pay as much taxes on the money you earned and maybe you get money back at the end of the year. No? What because they are in a different tax bracket this makes it unethical? Yeah ok.
Old May 2, 2012, 04:44 PM   #32
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
If the law says you can do it, then by all means do it. If the law says you can't, and you do it anyways then you should be punished.
That has nothing to do with being ethical or not. Surely, if someone does something deemed legal then they are within their rights to do it. However, that doesn't necessarily make it ethical.
Old May 2, 2012, 06:22 PM   #33
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

In the US I bought 95% of my electronics, guitars, etc online because I didn't have to pay sales tax (or I could get away without paying anyways). Now that this damn HST is tacked onto everything I can't remember the last thing I bought online. Its really a damper when you are about to purchase something for a couple thousand and the government tacks on a good 2-300 bucks.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:02 PM   #34
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
That has nothing to do with being ethical or not. Surely, if someone does something deemed legal then they are within their rights to do it. However, that doesn't necessarily make it ethical.
I think we both can agree to disagree again. Different philosophy on this subject.

I don't see it that it is, doesn't matter what the tax bracket is, you and RP do. Fair enough.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:47 PM   #35
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
I think we both can agree to disagree again. Different philosophy on this subject.

I don't see it that it is, doesn't matter what the tax bracket is, you and RP do. Fair enough.
I never said anything about taxes. We can disagree on what we consider ethical behavior, certainly. But are you deadset on claiming that if something is legal, then it must be ethical? Or perhaps you aren't, and you've only been talking about this specific issue, in which case we've been talking past each other for a few posts.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:41 PM   #36
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
I never said anything about taxes. We can disagree on what we consider ethical behavior, certainly. But are you deadset on claiming that if something is legal, then it must be ethical? Or perhaps you aren't, and you've only been talking about this specific issue, in which case we've been talking past each other for a few posts.
Noooo nooo.. Just this issue and topic.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:58 PM   #37
senseless
macrumors 65816

Pennsylvania gets Amazon sales taxes starting in September. They have a distribution center in the state, so they are eligible.
senseless is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 12:09 AM   #38
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

This bites. I spend quite a bit on amazon, and the no tax thing really made me choose amazon above all else. The tax in California is nearly 10%, so this will certainly make me more of a comparison shopper.

I know I pretty much stopped using newegg altogether when I moved from MA (no tax on newegg) to CA (taxed).
Old May 20, 2012, 02:00 AM   #39
InvalidUserID
macrumors 6502a

It's a bummer for me since they'll start tax in California shortly but I think I'll still buy the majority of my items from Amazon. If price is even close, Amazon will get the nod since I have Prime and I'd much rather get it delivered to my door than have to go out to buy it. Time is money and aggravation avoidance is priceless.
Old May 20, 2012, 03:09 PM   #40
danny_w
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUserID View Post
It's a bummer for me since they'll start tax in California shortly but I think I'll still buy the majority of my items from Amazon. If price is even close, Amazon will get the nod since I have Prime and I'd much rather get it delivered to my door than have to go out to buy it. Time is money and aggravation avoidance is priceless.
For me having to be home for the delivery is far more time consuming and aggravating than shopping. To each his own.
Old May 22, 2012, 01:02 PM   #41
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
For me having to be home for the delivery is far more time consuming and aggravating than shopping. To each his own.
Depends. For me if I can wait a few days I tend to order it from Amazon and it is nice to get home from work and have it at my door. After work and the drive home I tend to be beat and really do not want to go out and get something. It is much easier to get it on my way into my house
Old May 22, 2012, 09:15 PM   #42
InvalidUserID
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If signature were required, I might be in trouble. The majority of the time it's shipped via UPS, which requires no signature. If I know I'm not going to be home when they deliver (my UPS delivery time is late evening, so I'm usually home), they can deliver to the front office and they sign/hold for the residents.

Sure beats stores filled with bratty kids, people who take up the entire aisle, rude workers and inconsiderate people who open their car doors too wide.
Old May 22, 2012, 09:24 PM   #43
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

This won't change my Amazon shopping habits. I'm a prime member and only buy things that are eligible for the free 2-day shipping. I value my time (and my sanity) so shopping online almost always wins out over going to the mall.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:37 PM   #44
Gator24765
macrumors 6502a

sorry, for reviving an old thread.. I didnt want to start a new one..

This sucks!! I just bought an item on Amazon and saw sales tax. WTF! Just bought something two weeks ago and was fine..

I love amazon prime and the free shipping... but paying tax now is a huge deal breaker

13" MBP 2012 2.5 i5; iPhone 5 16gb (Sprint)
Gator24765 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:44 PM   #45
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator24765 View Post
sorry, for reviving an old thread.. I didnt want to start a new one..

This sucks!! I just bought an item on Amazon and saw sales tax. WTF! Just bought something two weeks ago and was fine..

I love amazon prime and the free shipping... but paying tax now is a huge deal breaker
as pointed out before legally speaking you should of been paying that money any how. All this agreement does is shift the burden from you the consumer over to Amazon.

That being said I did order about 200 worth of stuff of amazon I needed on June 30th to avoid paying 16 bucks worth of sales tax.

Also I have to believe it should of been done a long time ago because it was giving companies like Amazon a massive unfair advantage against any brick and mortar store as they are getting an extra 8.25% discount. All it does is level the playing field.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:02 PM   #46
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Pretty minor, if you ask me. Not only are you being rather petty, but you're technically supposed to be doing it anyway.

I guess if it is a deal breaker for you, then you're free to take your business elsewhere. Just remember that you still owe tax on all that stuff you bought from newegg.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:06 PM   #47
Gator24765
macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure one of the main reasons a majority of people shop their is because they are (were) tax free... now that they are not, numerous people will go else where.

I don't owe tax on ****... Here government, take some more of my hard earned money on stuff that I am using my taxed money to buy.. ridiculous.

13" MBP 2012 2.5 i5; iPhone 5 16gb (Sprint)
Gator24765 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:11 PM   #48
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:

I don't owe tax on ****... Here government, take some more of my hard earned money on stuff that I am using my taxed money to buy.. ridiculous.
Whether or not you like it is irrelevant. You owe it. Not liking it doesn't change that fact.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:23 AM   #49
lokerd
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr1952 View Post
Just go through their online menus and print the shipping label to send the item back free of charge--and get instant credit to your Amazon account.
Uh, not sure if you know this, but Amazon does NOT pay for the shipping back. Yes, you can print the label for free, but read the fine print. If you use THEIR label, then they are going to deduct $$$ from your return. You have to choose the option to print your own label. So, watch out returning stuff...they are making a little money on the return because you can normally ship it for less on your own.

as far as the Tax business, I am in SHOCK!!!! I buy stuff almost daily on Amazon...at least weekly. In the last 30 days, 10 orders. But, today was the first one from Amazon LLC!!! $6 in taxes just became a bad deal on an item that was only marginally less at Amazon. ARGH!!!! But it was so easy with Amazon. I even pay for the Prime for 2 day shipping. This is so frustrating to find out about!!!!

I was going to cancel the item, but I need it before a trip. I was going to put in the cancellation reason "Sales tax?!?!?!?! What the heck!!!! Sorry...but will need to buy this from somewhere else. Please loose the Sales Tax QUICK!!!! Or, change to Tax Exempt...I am eligible. Thanks!" But I decided I needed the item too bad, and there are very few in the country to even have any at any price.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:03 AM   #50
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

I couldn't care less about paying tax at Amazon. It's fine by me. Guaranteed one to two day shipping, the best customer service, and access to pretty much anything you want to buy, including digital downloads. They give me too many free magazine subscriptions, MP3 credit, among other stuff, like great deals, for me to really care about the tax. They are a company that stand behind their customers, and they try and do as much as they can to make things right. At least that's my experience.

Other places just don't come close.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events