"Just Boot Tethered" question for 5.1 tethered JB - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

"Just Boot Tethered" question for 5.1 tethered JB

To just boot tethered in Redsn0w after installing an app that requires a reboot, or after the battery dies, how do you get the phone off to enter DFU mode?

The battery will be dead, or the phone will be stuck at the apple logo - in either case, you can't simply hold down the power button & swipe to turn off. Is a hard reset required?

Oddly enough, I can't find a thread/YouTube video with the specifics of this process outlined...

Thanks!
ZCherub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:03 PM   #2
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCherub View Post
To just boot tethered in Redsn0w after installing an app that requires a reboot, or after the battery dies, how do you get the phone off to enter DFU mode?

The battery will be dead, or the phone will be stuck at the apple logo - in either case, you can't simply hold down the power button & swipe to turn off. Is a hard reset required?

Oddly enough, I can't find a thread/YouTube video with the specifics of this process outlined...

Thanks!
Phone does not have to be off to get into pwned DFU mode.
Start Redsn0w, get to the just boot tethered page
Depress both Power and Home button for 8 seconds, then release Power button, keep Home button depressed for 6-7 seconds until Redsn0w sees the phone in DFU and begins the tethered reboot.

Look for me here Jailbreak/Unlock Chart
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:04 PM   #3
NanoNyrd
macrumors regular

You can press power and home for 10 sec, then it turns off.

Actually, as far as I know you don't even have to turn off the phone before entering DFU mode. Just press power and home for 10 sec, then keep holding home for another 15 sec. The phone turns off after around 8 sec of pressing power and home, just as it would have done if you had switched it on by pressing power and then proceeded to keep power and home pressed for 10 sec.
NanoNyrd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:08 PM   #4
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlizard View Post
Phone does not have to be off to get into pwned DFU mode.
Start Redsn0w, get to the just boot tethered page
Depress both Power and Home button for 8 seconds, then release Power button, keep Home button depressed for 6-7 seconds until Redsn0w sees the phone in DFU and begins the tethered reboot.
I see - thanks. The one time I've had to boot tethered w/ Redsn0w, the phone came back up to the stock springboard (similar to the semitether), & the instructions stated to connect, then turn off the device, hold power for 3 secs, home & power for 10, then home for about 15.

I assumed that this had to be followed to the letter (including powering off) w/ each boot up.

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:23 AM   #5
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoNyrd View Post
You can press power and home for 10 sec, then it turns off.

Actually, as far as I know you don't even have to turn off the phone before entering DFU mode. Just press power and home for 10 sec, then keep holding home for another 15 sec. The phone turns off after around 8 sec of pressing power and home, just as it would have done if you had switched it on by pressing power and then proceeded to keep power and home pressed for 10 sec.
One other question about this comes to mind... Should I do the method above to get into DFU mode from the stuck apple logo, etc., or should I attempt to follow the prompts in Ressn0w (power for 3 secs, P & H for 10, then H for 15)? Does it matter which method is used, or will they both get me into Pwnd DFU just as effectively?

Thanks again
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCherub View Post
One other question about this comes to mind... Should I do the method above to get into DFU mode from the stuck apple logo, etc., or should I attempt to follow the prompts in Ressn0w (power for 3 secs, P & H for 10, then H for 15)? Does it matter which method is used, or will they both get me into Pwnd DFU just as effectively?

Thanks again
It doesn't matter: both methods will work just fine.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks