Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollywix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
I am on a tight budget and have saved money in the past by buying last year's model. I really need a new computer now but have decided to wait cause a new one is around the corner. So my question for the tech folks is: Is the incarnation of the Imac now in stores just fine and ok for me to buy when it gets cheaper or, are there some problems that would make it worth it for me to spend the extra $ and get the latest and greatest. I have always bought the bottom of the line and found it more than adequate. I also tend to keep them 4ever. I do not do graphic design but I do use the mac for all my media (i.e. I have no TV). Thanks.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Have you looked into an apple refurbished model? When the new iMac is released they will clear out the 2011 units this way. You still can get apple care and a full warranty.

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I am on a tight budget and have saved money in the past by buying last year's model. I really need a new computer now but have decided to wait cause a new one is around the corner. So my question for the tech folks is: Is the incarnation of the Imac now in stores just fine and ok for me to buy when it gets cheaper or, are there some problems that would make it worth it for me to spend the extra $ and get the latest and greatest. I have always bought the bottom of the line and found it more than adequate. I also tend to keep them 4ever. I do not do graphic design but I do use the mac for all my media (i.e. I have no TV). Thanks.

If you are not able to buy the top-end new iMacs you can often get more for your money buying a model older. That is, you may be able to get a 2011 base 27" for a similar price than a top-end 2012 21.5". It is then up to you to weigh the pros and cons. For example, is USB 3 (2012 iMac) worth to getting 27" of screen real estate? That is a subjective question that you would answer different than other users.

The 2011 iMacs are great computers!

winnen03

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
Soon To Be An Imac Owner

Never owned an imac before, so I have no specific needs, just want a solid, reliable computer! Waiting for the 2012 version to be released.

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Yes of course it is

If the older model suits your needs and will continue to do so for as long as you need it to - why buy the latest model? This is exactly what I'm doing. Saving $500-800 is more important to me right now. I want the new one to come out so I can buy a 2011 at a discount.

On the other hand if I needed the most powerful iMac for work or a specific job I wouldn't hesitate to get what I need.

G.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
If you like the current gen machines than you should be able to save a decent amount when the new machines are released. I would also keep my eye on the refurb store as you see some great deals that pop up on there.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I've gotten 1/3 off original price buying refurbs of discontinued models. The more radical the new model is the greater the discount for the old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.