Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davegl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
So, my iPhone has a tethered jailbrake on 5.1 with redsn0w. Yesterday my phones battery died. Usually when this happens I have to plug it into the computer and boot it with redsn0w. It still charges in the wall, but when I plug it into the computer, it does not charge and I get the error 'usb device not recognized'. I've tried putting it into DFU and that does nothing, it just starts up the device and keeps looping. What can I do? I'll do anything just to use my phone.

Last edited:

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
So, my iPhone has a tethered jailbrake on 5.1 with redsn0w. Yesterday my phones battery died. Usually when this happens I have to plug it into the computer and boot it with redsn0w. It still charges in the wall, but when I plug it into the computer, I get the error 'usb device not recognized'. I've tried putting it into DFU and that does nothing, it just starts up the device and keeps looping. What can I do? I'll do anything just to use my phone.

so you have tried booting from the wall?

davegl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Then you're probably mis-stepping and actually putting it into recovery.

I tried putting into DFU through the steps in redsn0w and nothing even happens on my phone. The computer just continues to say 'usb device not recognized'

davegl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
everything is up to date. It's doing the same thing on multiple computers

j4l

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
everything is up to date. It's doing the same thing on multiple computers

Had a simular problem a while ago - i tried a number of things without any success, but by removing the logic board off the battery for couple of mins and re-fitting it and then do a clean restore & re-jailbreak - hopefully will do the trick, worked wonders for me at that time..

davegl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Had a simular problem a while ago - i tried a number of things without any success, but by removing the logic board off the battery for couple of mins and re-fitting it and then do a clean restore & re-jailbreak - hopefully will do the trick, worked wonders for me at that time..

Just did that. Still looping and still unrecognized by the computer

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Clear your hosts file and update iTunes and/or reinstall iTunes. Make sure your computer is up to date.

Just because I honestly don't know - how would he do this if his phone is stuck in a loop and won't enter DFU?

----------

Since nobody else has said it, have you tried rebooting while holding the volume up button to boot into safe mode?

You said that you've reinstalled Redsn0w - does selecting the option to kick the device out of recovery do anything?

Let us know how it goes...

j4l

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
Could be software problem. What else u could try is restore to official 4.1 firmware & see if the problem is still there..

davegl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Just because I honestly don't know - how would he do this if his phone is stuck in a loop and won't enter DFU?

----------

Since nobody else has said it, have you tried rebooting while holding the volume up button to boot into safe mode?

You said that you've reinstalled Redsn0w - does selecting the option to kick the device out of recovery do anything?

Let us know how it goes...

I just tried booting while holding the volume up button and it still boots up into the loop. I even held it for several minutes.

I do have redsn0w, and i just tried the recovery fix option, but that first requires me to be in DFU mode, which does not work.

I don't understand why my phone is doing this. It won't even charge in the computer for some reason. I wasn't able to find anyone with the same problem.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
I just tried booting while holding the volume up button and it still boots up into the loop. I even held it for several minutes.

I do have redsn0w, and i just tried the recovery fix option, but that first requires me to be in DFU mode, which does not work.

I don't understand why my phone is doing this. It won't even charge in the computer for some reason. I wasn't able to find anyone with the same problem.

A shot in the dark, but you might try a different data cable. Sounds too simple, but you never know... Good luck, and let us know when you make progress on it!

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
did that too...no luck

Wow... That's not good. Can you take it to a 3rd party repair shop and make sure your home/power buttons are working correctly? It would be odd timing for one of them to give up just as the power dies and prevent DFU from being attainable, but this is obviously an odd situation - so maybe it's worth a shot...

davegl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Wow... That's not good. Can you take it to a 3rd party repair shop and make sure your home/power buttons are working correctly? It would be odd timing for one of them to give up just as the power dies and prevent DFU from being attainable, but this is obviously an odd situation - so maybe it's worth a shot...

Well I know both buttons are working correctly because that is how I am able to turn the phone on and off. Something I recently noticed was that when it is plugged in the phone isn't able to remain off. When I hold both buttons to turn the device off, it shuts off, but the second I let go it reboots into its loop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.