Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHartford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
I have an iPhone 4 on 4.1 that is jailbroken and unlocked. Is there anyway I can upgrade to 5.0.1 and if so can I still unlock it? Unlocking it is not an absolute necessity, but need to upgrade and Jailbreak. Any advise on how to go about it will be greatly appreciated, especially since 5.0.1 is no longer the official iOS.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
I have an iPhone 4 on 4.1 that is jailbroken and unlocked. Is there anyway I can upgrade to 5.0.1 and if so can I still unlock it? Unlocking it is not an absolute necessity, but need to upgrade and Jailbreak. Any advise on how to go about it will be greatly appreciated, especially since 5.0.1 is no longer the official iOS.

Thanks in advance.

If you're already jailbroken - make sure you have SHSH blobs and APTicket for 5.0.1 saved, then follow the tutorial on iClarified.com under tutorials > Jailbreak > (select appropriate tutorial for your computer type and device).

If you do NOT have SHSH blobs and APTicket saved, you're stuck updating to 5.1 and doing a tethered jailbreak (unless that turns you off), or staying on your current firmware. I personally went this route the other day. Haven't messed with it much, but it seems to be stable and running smoothly.

Good luck.

CTHartford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Thanks for the reply..

If you're already jailbroken - make sure you have SHSH blobs and APTicket for 5.0.1 saved, then follow the tutorial on iClarified.com under tutorials > Jailbreak > (select appropriate tutorial for your computer type and device).

If you do NOT have SHSH blobs and APTicket saved, you're stuck updating to 5.1 and doing a tethered jailbreak (unless that turns you off), or staying on your current firmware. I personally went this route the other day. Haven't messed with it much, but it seems to be stable and running smoothly.

Good luck.

ZCherub,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if I have the saved SHSH. I am not sure if I want to go with the tethered jailbreak, will wait it out. Hope the dev-team will come out with one soon.

Appreciate your assistance.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
ZCherub,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if I have the saved SHSH. I am not sure if I want to go with the tethered jailbreak, will wait it out. Hope the dev-team will come out with one soon.

Run your phone through Tiny Umbrella and it will tell you which shsh save on your phone.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
ZCherub,

Either way. If you're good about managin your battery & not installing Cydia packages unless you're near your computer, tethered isn't a bad option - enjoy!

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
I'm in the same boat as the OP and a little confused.

Background info:
-Currently JBd on 4.2.1 with ATT so I don't need to be unlocked.
-I'd like to update to at 5.0 (Bc of cool apps)
-Cydia shows me my SHSH are saved from 4.0 - 5.1

Can I updated to 5.0 and keep my untethered JB?

"Better to bring up an existing thread than waste a new one"

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
I'm in the same boat as the OP and a little confused.

Background info:
-Currently JBd on 4.2.1 with ATT so I don't need to be unlocked.
-I'd like to update to at 5.0 (Bc of cool apps)
-Cydia shows me my SHSH are saved from 4.0 - 5.1

Can I updated to 5.0 and keep my untethered JB?

"Better to bring up an existing thread than waste a new one"

Do you show 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs saves? Did you save your APTicket? If the answer to either of these is "no", you'll have to leave it as is, or update to 5.1 & do the tethered JB (what I did, & I'm happy w/ it so far).

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Do you show 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs saves? Did you save your APTicket? If the answer to either of these is "no", you'll have to leave it as is, or update to 5.1 & do the tethered JB (what I did, & I'm happy w/ it so far).

I assume since he said 4.0 through 5.1, 5.0.1 would be included.

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
Yes I have 5.0.1 SHSH saved. But here might be my downfall....what is an APticket? Not sure if I have ever received the APticket bc I've never been on 5.X.X

Last edited:

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
I assume since he said 4.0 through 5.1, 5.0.1 would be included.

I would, too - but we all know what happens when you assume...

----------

Yes I have 5.0.1 SHSH saved. But here might be my downfall....what is an APticket? Not sure if I have ever received the APticket bc I've never been on 5.X.X

I think the 5.0.1 ship has sailed for you, then - sorry. Again, 5.1 tethered JB is a good option. Just keep an eye on your battery (have a car charger, etc.) & don't mess w/ Cydia tweaks/apps when away from your computer & you'll be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.