Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 1, 2012, 04:25 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Updates Cards, iPhoto, Garageband, iMovie, and iTunes U iOS Apps

Apple has released a number of updates to several of its apps for the iPhone and iPad. The iLife apps, iPhoto, Garageband, and iMovie, all received minor updates, while Apple also pushed out bug fixes to the Cards greeting-card app, and to iTunes U.

None of the updates offer any significant new features -- the updates mostly offer "performance and stability improvements" or fix other bugs. All the updates can be obtained via the App Store app on the iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: Apple Updates Cards, iPhoto, Garageband, iMovie, and iTunes U iOS Apps
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 04:26 PM   #2
MacFan23
macrumors regular

In prep for WWDC?
MacFan23 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 04:44 PM   #3
cvaldes
Banned

Probably not. WWDC is about seven weeks away and these are mostly bug fixes: "None of the updates offer any significant new features."

Apple might preview major feature enhancements to these apps (and iOS) at WWDC as developer previews/technology demos, but of more interest would be new APIs in iOS itself so third-party developers would have access to new functionality.

It's not like third-party developers have much say what features should show up in Apple's own end-user apps. The developers do get to choose how to implement new APIs and iOS features in their own apps. This is the main point of attending WWDC, to learn about the new features from a developer's perspective, not as the end user.

Last edited by cvaldes; May 1, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
cvaldes is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 04:50 PM   #4
AppleGuesser
macrumors regular

While bug fixes are always great, I want to point out that there are many flaws with iPhoto, iMovie, and Cards. For iPhoto, the journals feature is awesome, but non existent on iPhoto for Mac. For iMovie, the whole app is still to basic for my liking with few transitions and things of that nature. And for crying out loud Apple, could you make your OWN apps universal like Cards and Apple Store. Other than that, bug fixes are always a good thing though
Old May 1, 2012, 04:51 PM   #5
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

WWDC any chance a new API for SIRI and 3rd party apps?
Old May 1, 2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFan23 View Post
In prep for WWDC?
Probably in prep for 10.7.4
Peace is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 04:53 PM   #7
lifeguard90
macrumors 6502a

great, more iOS news, updates.. wheres the Mac ( iMac/ mbp news)
lifeguard90 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 04:53 PM   #8
jenoki48
macrumors newbie

Apple is nothing learned from users voice
jenoki48 is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 04:56 PM   #9
rpaloalto
macrumors 6502a

Hope this means iLife 12 is close behind
rpaloalto is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 04:59 PM   #10
xionxiox
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenoki48 View Post
Huh?
Old May 1, 2012, 05:02 PM   #11
AppleGuesser
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xionxiox View Post
Huh?
I think he is referring to my post?? Idk, you have you use quotes for people to understand what is being said sometimes haha
Old May 1, 2012, 05:05 PM   #12
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

I'm wishing Apple would start to consolidate some of their iOS apps. There's a lot of similar/redundant functionality and in the spirit of keeping people focused on the content, it'd minimize bouncing around from app to app. Perhaps make some of them in-app purchase add-on modules. They'd each pack a bigger punch if:

Calendar = Calendars + Reminders
Notes = Notes + Stickies + Calculator or simple speadsheet column for running totals
iChat = FaceTime, FaceTime VOIP, Mail, Messages, Twitter
iBooks = iBooks + Newsstand + Catalogs
iPhoto = Pictures + iPhoto + Aperture Filters + a semi-intelligent online community gallery to replace instagram + Cards
iMusic = Music + Garageband + Podcasting
iMovie = Videos + Youtube + Netflix + Vimeo + [Picture in Picture option] + iMovie + Motion & Storyboarder
Remote = Remote, + Netflix/Hulu commands + Frontrow interface w/ Gestures... etc...

Prob need a quicker processor & a bit more ram tho.

Last edited by ThunderSkunk; May 1, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
ThunderSkunk is offline   -18 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:08 PM   #13
cvaldes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaloalto View Post
Hope this means iLife 12 is close behind
Unlikely.

Apple probably needs to release OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, then would proceed to release iLife 2012 which would be backward compatible to 10.7 Lion. The new operating system would allow for enhanced functionality for those running the latest operating system.

Remember, these are just a bunch of bugfixes for today's iOS app updates. Same thing for these iLife iOS apps. A released version of iOS 6 would probably be necessary for major functionality changes in these apps.
cvaldes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:14 PM   #14
AppleGuesser
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
I'm wishing Apple would start to consolidate some of their iOS apps. There's a lot of similar/redundant functionality and in the spirit of keeping people focused on the content, it'd minimize bouncing around from app to app. Perhaps make some of them in-app purchase add-on modules. They'd each pack a bigger punch if:

Calendar = Calendars + Reminders
Notes = Notes + Stickies + Calculator or simple speadsheet column for running totals
iChat = FaceTime, FaceTime VOIP, Mail, Messages, Twitter
iBooks = iBooks + Newsstand + Catalogs
iPhoto = Pictures + iPhoto + Aperture Filters + a semi-intelligent online community gallery to replace instagram + Cards
iMusic = Music + Garageband + Podcasting
iMovie = Videos + Youtube + Netflix + Vimeo + [Picture in Picture option] + iMovie + Motion & Storyboarder
Remote = Remote, + Netflix/Hulu commands + Frontrow interface w/ Gestures... etc...

Prob need a quicker processor & a bit more ram tho.
Not too bad of an idea right there except im not going to pay for all of that, it better be free man. Consolidation in some areas such as Calendars and iChat would do OS X and iOS justice. But relax, im sure more consolidation is coming in Mac OS 11 and really some of that is coming with OS X 10.8, aka, hybrid between iOS and OS X

Last edited by AppleGuesser; May 1, 2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: I didnt see the first part where he mentions an in-app purchase for some of those changes. Pass on that. I wouldnt pay for it
AppleGuesser is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:14 PM   #15
GSPice
macrumors 68000

Quote:
what the
Old May 1, 2012, 05:29 PM   #16
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's just me, but I wish app developers would tell me which particular bugs were fixed in an update, rather than just state "- Bug fixes."

I'd like to know if that particular bug that I noticed or heard about was fixed, or if I'm going to have to continue to deal with it.
mrgraff is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:32 PM   #17
Xenc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiljoy616 View Post
WWDC any chance a new API for SIRI and 3rd party apps?
I'd like to see that. But how would it work in terms of clashes?
Xenc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:36 PM   #18
Flood123
macrumors 6502a

I removed this because in hindsight it wasn't very nice.

Last edited by Flood123; May 1, 2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Cutting a dude some slack.
Flood123 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:41 PM   #19
GSPice
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgraff View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I wish app developers would tell me which particular bugs were fixed in an update, rather than just state "- Bug fixes."

I'd like to know if that particular bug that I noticed or heard about was fixed, or if I'm going to have to continue to deal with it.
I think that many bugs aren't necessarily manifested to the end-user, and even if they described the fix, most users wouldn't understand it anyway.

Plus, describing the fix can help or hurt the developer's reputation - a fixed bug can make the developer a hero, or expose incompetence.

Just a few reasons why you might not see descriptions of app development.
Old May 1, 2012, 05:49 PM   #20
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPice View Post
Plus, describing the fix can help or hurt the developer's reputation - a fixed bug can make the developer a hero, or expose incompetence.
That's a really good point.
mrgraff is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:00 PM   #21
lssmit02
macrumors 6502

Quote:
All your base are belong to us.
lssmit02 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:04 PM   #22
cvaldes
Banned

Give this person a break. Looking at this person's profile, apparently he (I'm guessing it's a guy) is not a native English speaker, but Japanese.

He should probably consider hanging out at Japanese-language Apple forums instead (where he could contribute more effectively), but there's no policy here against non-native English-speaking participants.
cvaldes is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:08 PM   #23
iLilana
macrumors 6502a

hmm

now if they could only fix logic pro
Old May 1, 2012, 06:09 PM   #24
GSPice
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
there's no policy here against non-native English-speaking participants.
but there is a policy against participants who make baseless, unfounded statements. It's called
Old May 1, 2012, 06:11 PM   #25
cvaldes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPice View Post
but there is a policy against participants who make baseless, unfounded statements. It's called Image
Hey, this site is called MacRumors, not MacFacts.

Heck, if the site required fully documented news, they would probably post once a week.

cvaldes is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion