Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 1, 2012, 03:40 AM   #1
mrwonkers
macrumors 6502

Post Antiglare screen protector for iPad 3rd Gen made me vomit

Don't bother trying to find a decent antiglare film that doesn't make your iPad 3rd Gen screen look like vomit. I have tried several different brands and the level of graininess added to the screen is unacceptable, as much as I hate gloss screen protectors looks like thats whats going on my new iPad.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences with this are...

Oh I pray the ipad 4th Gen has this rumoured newfangled anti-reflective glass as a new feature....please Timmy...

Last edited by mrwonkers; May 1, 2012 at 03:45 AM.
mrwonkers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:06 AM   #2
MacAttacka
macrumors 6502

Made you vomit? Good thing you had a screen protector on it.
MacAttacka is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:36 AM   #3
mrwonkers
macrumors 6502

I only gotta tiny bit off sick in my headphones - iPad was O.K. phew...
mrwonkers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:04 AM   #4
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

If I were you, I'd see a doc about that touchy stomach...
Old May 1, 2012, 06:18 AM   #5
MacAttacka
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonkers View Post
I only gotta tiny bit off sick in my headphones - iPad was O.K. phew...
How do you know its the screen protector that did it and that you just dont have a bun in the oven?
MacAttacka is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:32 AM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Which brands have you tried? Any pictures? I usually find people who buy an AG screen protector and then sensationalize their opinion by saying they've bought many. The fact is that it is no secret that the AG screen protectors will diminish the resolution slightly. I have one on my iPad 1 and undoubtedly the trade off for not having a virtual mirror in front of me is slightly less quality picture. It never bothered me, not as much as seeing my face and the overhead lights from the airplanes looking back at me.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

I just ripped off my screen protector, despite the amount spent on it. While it did make scrolling more smooth, I felt it degraded the quality of the screen to the extent that it defeated the point of having a high-res display.

Looking at the screen, it is like I just came out of eye surgery...
Abazigal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 07:45 AM   #8
mrwonkers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
I just ripped off my screen protector, despite the amount spent on it. While it did make scrolling more smooth, I felt it degraded the quality of the screen to the extent that it defeated the point of having a high-res display.

Looking at the screen, it is like I just came out of eye surgery...
Ripped mine off 2 - I agree with your summation of it being the equivalent to coming out of eye surgery.

retina display + antiglare screen protector = moronic [kinds like rubbing vaseline all over an uber expensive DSLR lens and wondering why your captured image looks like a $2 instamatic shot]

As for Jessica's post I think you'd really need to have a retina display to see the effect [I had an iPad 2 and the same anti-glare protectors didn't affect the image quality like they do on the iPad 3]
mrwonkers is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 08:10 AM   #9
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Which brands have you tried? Any pictures? I usually find people who buy an AG screen protector and then sensationalize their opinion by saying they've bought many. The fact is that it is no secret that the AG screen protectors will diminish the resolution slightly. I have one on my iPad 1 and undoubtedly the trade off for not having a virtual mirror in front of me is slightly less quality picture. It never bothered me, not as much as seeing my face and the overhead lights from the airplanes looking back at me.
I don't have photos, but to me, the reduction in clarity of the screen was fairly noticeable. Compared alongside an ipad2, you can still see that text look smoother and sharper. However, overall, it appeared less bright and vibrant. And I think it is saying something when a screen protector makes an ipad3 screen look even worse than an ipad2's.

Funny thing though, my ipad's screen and bezel now seem more smooth than before I applied the protector, as though the adhesive of the protector were still forming some sort of coating on it. The screen also seems to attract fewer fingerprints than before. Or maybe I am just imagining it.

Only thing is that without a screen pro, I am now more conscious about how I handle it. No more touching it with wet, greasy or sweaty fingers, dropping food on it and the like.
Abazigal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
I don't have photos, but to me, the reduction in clarity of the screen was fairly noticeable. Compared alongside an ipad2, you can still see that text look smoother and sharper. However, overall, it appeared less bright and vibrant. And I think it is saying something when a screen protector makes an ipad3 screen look even worse than an ipad2's.
It does. I've also applied once to an iPad 3 (the one at http://www.dealextreme.com/p/screen-...nsparent-80181 ). It's like looking at snow in sunshine on the iPad 3 - VERY distracting and VERY annoying.

Quote:
Only thing is that without a screen pro, I am now more conscious about how I handle it. No more touching it with wet, greasy or sweaty fingers, dropping food on it and the like.
IMHO, no need to be extra cautious. It's VERY hard (almost impossible) to scratch these screens. It's probably only true diamond that can truly scratch them. There are several reasosn glass is used in these screens - one of them being almost completely resistant to scratches.
Menneisyys2 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 02:32 PM   #11
ladytonya
macrumors 6502a

I've been wondering about the necessity of a screen protector. Just got my iPad last Friday and haven't put a screen protector on it yet, was still debating the subject. I love the display and don't want to do anything to diminish the image but I also don't want to risk my clumsy self messing up that beautiful screen. Right now, I have a Belkin protector on the back and a smart cover on the front. The guy at Best Buy actually told me that if I wanted to enjoy the retina display to not put a screen protector on it at all, kind of surprising since they're usually trying to sell the Zagg ones. I'm just wondering if leaving it naked is really safe?
Old May 1, 2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post

IMHO, no need to be extra cautious. It's VERY hard (almost impossible) to scratch these screens. It's probably only true diamond that can truly scratch them. There are several reasosn glass is used in these screens - one of them being almost completely resistant to scratches.
I beg to differ, I'm extremely cautious, I will sometimes even shift my position and hold it above a counter top or something to reduce the fall distance if I somehow managed to drop it, and I have no fingernails, no stylus, no accessories, and I managed to put 2 scratches (not noticeable by touch, when the screen is on, or even any time other than when the screen is clean and off) less than an inch long, within the first 3 weeks of having it.

It may be hard to get a noticeable really problematic scratch, but don't be surprised if you notice a few small ones after pushing a little to hard when cleaning your screen with a soft cloth.
Redjericho is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 02:56 PM   #13
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a

You're not supposed to eat it...
Old May 8, 2012, 02:34 PM   #14
Vanessa567
macrumors newbie

Tru protection

Have you tried TRU PROTECTION? I have the HD Anti-Glare Film for my iPad and it works great!

Thought that might be a helpful suggestion...check it out -
http://www.truprotection.com
Vanessa567 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 05:17 PM   #15
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

It's great when people create a new account just to push their product in their very first message. You should have left a few messages first to look just a little legit.
TB07-NJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 05:29 PM   #16
PK2
macrumors newbie

I have a moshimonde anti glare , and I really like it, but it definitely affects the sharpness, u get used to it though
PK2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 05:50 AM   #17
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa567 View Post
Have you tried TRU PROTECTION? I have the HD Anti-Glare Film for my iPad and it works great!

For the price they charge, I would go with a company that has a track record.

My best guess is that Truprotection is reselling one from SGP or Powersupport.
ZipZap is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 05:54 AM   #18
mrwonkers
macrumors 6502

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa567 View Post

Infomercials have also been known to make me vomit...
mrwonkers is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 02:34 PM   #19
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

I just vomited on my iPad! Lucky I had a screen protector on it
Fruit Cake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 03:10 PM   #20
iKIKO
macrumors regular

blaming the screen protector doesnt seem the right way

maybe something you ate, and vomit just when you were holding the ipad for casuality?
iKIKO is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 03:16 PM   #21
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Cake View Post
I just vomited on my iPad! Lucky I had a screen protector on it
Pics or it didn't happen! You know the rules of the internet!
AlphaDogg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 03:46 PM   #22
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
Pics or it didn't happen! You know the rules of the internet!
Actually, I think this is one case where we can skip the pics...
Old May 9, 2012, 08:22 PM   #23
Ipadfever
macrumors 6502

FWIW ...otter box came out with screen protector for the new iPad but didn't have one for the iPad 2 even tho the new otter box is now for new iPad and iPad 2. The screen protector on it sure does make it look bad and grainy.

The iPad 3 screen needs to be nekkid
Ipadfever is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 11:02 PM   #24
LiloThePleo
macrumors 6502

*sigh* I have to agree, I just bought a Belkin Screen protector (which didn't have anti-glare or anti reflective written ANYWHERE on the package) and was supposedly 'optimum clarity' and it looks awful Now I shall have to fork out for another
Old May 11, 2012, 10:43 PM   #25
ladytonya
macrumors 6502a

I'm leaving mine naked, and I never do that. I'm usually paranoid of scratching or breaking a screen but this display is just too gorgeous to cover it up, even with the best screen protector.

If I were going to put one on here, it would be the moshi. They had them at our local Mac dealer and it actually looks sorta decent, but I still wouldn't want it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad