Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
Don't bother trying to find a decent antiglare film that doesn't make your iPad 3rd Gen screen look like vomit. I have tried several different brands and the level of graininess added to the screen is unacceptable, as much as I hate gloss screen protectors looks like thats whats going on my new iPad.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences with this are...

Oh I pray the ipad 4th Gen has this rumoured newfangled anti-reflective glass as a new feature....please Timmy...

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Which brands have you tried? Any pictures? I usually find people who buy an AG screen protector and then sensationalize their opinion by saying they've bought many. The fact is that it is no secret that the AG screen protectors will diminish the resolution slightly. I have one on my iPad 1 and undoubtedly the trade off for not having a virtual mirror in front of me is slightly less quality picture. It never bothered me, not as much as seeing my face and the overhead lights from the airplanes looking back at me.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I just ripped off my screen protector, despite the amount spent on it. While it did make scrolling more smooth, I felt it degraded the quality of the screen to the extent that it defeated the point of having a high-res display.

Looking at the screen, it is like I just came out of eye surgery...:p

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
I just ripped off my screen protector, despite the amount spent on it. While it did make scrolling more smooth, I felt it degraded the quality of the screen to the extent that it defeated the point of having a high-res display.

Looking at the screen, it is like I just came out of eye surgery...:p

Ripped mine off 2 - I agree with your summation of it being the equivalent to coming out of eye surgery.

retina display + antiglare screen protector = moronic [kinds like rubbing vaseline all over an uber expensive DSLR lens and wondering why your captured image looks like a $2 instamatic shot]

As for Jessica's post I think you'd really need to have a retina display to see the effect [I had an iPad 2 and the same anti-glare protectors didn't affect the image quality like they do on the iPad 3]

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Which brands have you tried? Any pictures? I usually find people who buy an AG screen protector and then sensationalize their opinion by saying they've bought many. The fact is that it is no secret that the AG screen protectors will diminish the resolution slightly. I have one on my iPad 1 and undoubtedly the trade off for not having a virtual mirror in front of me is slightly less quality picture. It never bothered me, not as much as seeing my face and the overhead lights from the airplanes looking back at me.

I don't have photos, but to me, the reduction in clarity of the screen was fairly noticeable. Compared alongside an ipad2, you can still see that text look smoother and sharper. However, overall, it appeared less bright and vibrant. And I think it is saying something when a screen protector makes an ipad3 screen look even worse than an ipad2's. :eek:

Funny thing though, my ipad's screen and bezel now seem more smooth than before I applied the protector, as though the adhesive of the protector were still forming some sort of coating on it. The screen also seems to attract fewer fingerprints than before. Or maybe I am just imagining it. :confused:

Only thing is that without a screen pro, I am now more conscious about how I handle it. No more touching it with wet, greasy or sweaty fingers, dropping food on it and the like. :D

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I don't have photos, but to me, the reduction in clarity of the screen was fairly noticeable. Compared alongside an ipad2, you can still see that text look smoother and sharper. However, overall, it appeared less bright and vibrant. And I think it is saying something when a screen protector makes an ipad3 screen look even worse than an ipad2's. :eek:

It does. I've also applied once to an iPad 3 (the one at http://www.dealextreme.com/p/screen...h-cleaning-cloth-for-ipad-2-transparent-80181 ). It's like looking at snow in sunshine on the iPad 3 - VERY distracting and VERY annoying.

Only thing is that without a screen pro, I am now more conscious about how I handle it. No more touching it with wet, greasy or sweaty fingers, dropping food on it and the like. :D

IMHO, no need to be extra cautious. It's VERY hard (almost impossible) to scratch these screens. It's probably only true diamond that can truly scratch them. There are several reasosn glass is used in these screens - one of them being almost completely resistant to scratches.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I've been wondering about the necessity of a screen protector. Just got my iPad last Friday and haven't put a screen protector on it yet, was still debating the subject. I love the display and don't want to do anything to diminish the image but I also don't want to risk my clumsy self messing up that beautiful screen. Right now, I have a Belkin protector on the back and a smart cover on the front. The guy at Best Buy actually told me that if I wanted to enjoy the retina display to not put a screen protector on it at all, kind of surprising since they're usually trying to sell the Zagg ones. I'm just wondering if leaving it naked is really safe?

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
IMHO, no need to be extra cautious. It's VERY hard (almost impossible) to scratch these screens. It's probably only true diamond that can truly scratch them. There are several reasosn glass is used in these screens - one of them being almost completely resistant to scratches.

I beg to differ, I'm extremely cautious, I will sometimes even shift my position and hold it above a counter top or something to reduce the fall distance if I somehow managed to drop it, and I have no fingernails, no stylus, no accessories, and I managed to put 2 scratches (not noticeable by touch, when the screen is on, or even any time other than when the screen is clean and off) less than an inch long, within the first 3 weeks of having it.

It may be hard to get a noticeable really problematic scratch, but don't be surprised if you notice a few small ones after pushing a little to hard when cleaning your screen with a soft cloth.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
It's great when people create a new account just to push their product in their very first message. You should have left a few messages first to look just a little legit. :cool:

PK2

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2012
I have a moshimonde anti glare , and I really like it, but it definitely affects the sharpness, u get used to it though

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
blaming the screen protector doesnt seem the right way :D

maybe something you ate, and vomit just when you were holding the ipad for casuality?

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
FWIW ...otter box came out with screen protector for the new iPad but didn't have one for the iPad 2 even tho the new otter box is now for new iPad and iPad 2. The screen protector on it sure does make it look bad and grainy.

The iPad 3 screen needs to be nekkid

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
*sigh* I have to agree, I just bought a Belkin Screen protector (which didn't have anti-glare or anti reflective written ANYWHERE on the package) and was supposedly 'optimum clarity' and it looks awful :( Now I shall have to fork out for another :(

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I'm leaving mine naked, and I never do that. I'm usually paranoid of scratching or breaking a screen but this display is just too gorgeous to cover it up, even with the best screen protector.

If I were going to put one on here, it would be the moshi. They had them at our local Mac dealer and it actually looks sorta decent, but I still wouldn't want it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.