Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 1, 2012, 06:27 AM   #1
ZebraineZ
macrumors 6502

How to mount network hd as nfs?

Ugh I'm already ripping my hair out.

So basically I have an Airport Extreme, I have a simple external HD attached to it in the usb place.

I have a jailbroken Atv2 and afp/smb streaming works fine for the moment (although in xbmc the drive doesn't show up at all).

I want to watch more high def stuff I've ripped but it's impossible because I've tried everything to mount that drive as an NFS drive (nfs has much better quality and practically no buffering).

The error I get through terminal doing all that stuff and with NFS Manager (and anything else there is) is this

Code:
exports:1: kernel export registration failed: NFS exporting not supported by fstype "afpfs" (fh)
the path I have for the drive is '/Volumes/NetworkHD' (without quotes).

So I honestly have no idea what to do or what this means and I just really need help I've looked ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL over google and the ONLY site I found this error was on this ONE greek forum that I couldn't even understand even with the page translated, seems like no one found a solution and I reallllllllllyyyyyyy hope no one ignores this.

I'm just assuming AFP isn't compatible to be re-shared or whatever as NFS? or something? urgh -__- thanks.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:08 AM   #2
EvilC5
macrumors 6502a

how is the drive formatted. not sure if my situation was the same, but my drive was NTFS and i tried to do a NFS, and never got it to work, then I reformatted it os extended and it worked.
iPhone 4, 4s, and 5.....the ihome!
EvilC5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 07:39 AM   #3
stomer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stomer
Airport Extreme only supports SMB and AFP file sharing.

Youíll have to create exports on a Mac (or any UNIX machine) and share those exports with your Jailbroken ATV for NFS to work.
stomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 10:23 PM   #4
ZebraineZ
macrumors 6502

I don't know the exact one....but it's the same formatting that a time machine drive would use.

And what the heck? Airport extreme doesn't support NFS? Wtf?

So is there no possible way for me to use it as an NFS and not have to leave my computer on? Or would I need to 'export' it as NFS or something from my computer connected to my computer? Sigh .

Also EvilC5 did you do that with an Airport Extreme or no?
Old May 3, 2012, 01:12 AM   #5
stomer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stomer
The Airport Extreme is a consumer device, NFS is far from a consumer technology. Itís normally used by sysadmins on servers so that other servers can have some form of remote storage.

NFS is very different from SMB and AFP. In most cases itís not the right tool for the job, for example, NFS does not support authentication.

If youíre trying to use NFS simply to gain some extra transfer speed, then Iíd give up, any speed increase over SMB/AFP would be marginal. Youíd be better off reconfiguring your local network with fatter pipes.
stomer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 07:42 PM   #6
ZebraineZ
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomer View Post
The Airport Extreme is a consumer device, NFS is far from a consumer technology. Itís normally used by sysadmins on servers so that other servers can have some form of remote storage.

NFS is very different from SMB and AFP. In most cases itís not the right tool for the job, for example, NFS does not support authentication.

If youíre trying to use NFS simply to gain some extra transfer speed, then Iíd give up, any speed increase over SMB/AFP would be marginal. Youíd be better off reconfiguring your local network with fatter pipes.
Sigh. Thanks a lot though! At least I can give up and rest.
And to anyone else attempting what I'm attempting, save the trouble use SMB and live happy.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:31 AM   #7
waw74
macrumors 68020

USB is your bottle neck here, AFP and SMB can both handle way more speed than USB2 can.
and if you're using wireless, that's even slower than USB, For pushing HD around your network, you almost have to be wired.

And i've no experience with it, but seen several posts mentioning how slow the airport extremes are with disk access.

I've got a Linux box with a RAID and all sharing is done via AFP (netatalk and avahi) and can play uncompressed blu-ray rips back over the network with pleanty of room to spare.
The RAID is connected via USB3, i get reads to the local machine about 115MB/s, and shared over the network (gigabit) at about 75MB/s

--the following are from my general experience--
USB2 drives are about 25MB/s max.
wireless N - 5Ghz - about 10-12 MB/s
wireless G - about 2-3 MB/s.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 04:03 AM   #8
itickings
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
USB is your bottle neck here, AFP and SMB can both handle way more speed than USB2 can.
Actually, the bottleneck is the CPU, as with most cheaper NAS devices lacking in performance. You won't even reach the USB2 limits.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater