Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1, 2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Obi-Wan Kubrick
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Re-install OS X 10.4 in iMac G5 help

I have an iMac G5 (iSight) and I want to re-install OS X 10.4 to start fresh again.

Is this advisable? I know Apple no longer supports 10.4, so how would I get the other 10.4 updates, etc? Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Obi-Wan Kubrick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 10:39 AM   #2
tayloralmond
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Missouri, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post
I have an iMac G5 (iSight) and I want to re-install OS X 10.4 to start fresh again.

Is this advisable? I know Apple no longer supports 10.4, so how would I get the other 10.4 updates, etc? Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Most definitely. 10.4 still has a modern browser (TenFourFox) and plenty of people (including myself) still use it on our PowerPC's. The only recommendation I'd give is to install 10.5 if you happen to have an install disk. An iSight iMac would run Leopard easily and Leopard has more modern software available. In regards to updates, you'd just need to click "software update" in the apple menu until you've downloaded everything such as java updates and updated the OS to 10.4.11 (Tiger) or 10.5.8 (Leopard). Also be sure to check for updates if you install iLife or iWork because Apple generally has some updates and bug fixes for the various versions of those programs that aren't included on the install disks.
__________________
Mac Pro: 1.86GHz (8 Core), 17GB RAM, Radeon 5770
PowerMac G5 Quad: 16GB RAM PowerMac G4: 2x1.5GHz PowerBook G4 12": 1.5GHz
iMac G3: 600MHz iBook G3: 466MHz
The Blog I Work At: MyMacCollection
tayloralmond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Obi-Wan Kubrick
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloralmond View Post
Most definitely. 10.4 still has a modern browser (TenFourFox) and plenty of people (including myself) still use it on our PowerPC's. The only recommendation I'd give is to install 10.5 if you happen to have an install disk. An iSight iMac would run Leopard easily and Leopard has more modern software available. In regards to updates, you'd just need to click "software update" in the apple menu until you've downloaded everything such as java updates and updated the OS to 10.4.11 (Tiger) or 10.5.8 (Leopard). Also be sure to check for updates if you install iLife or iWork because Apple generally has some updates and bug fixes for the various versions of those programs that aren't included on the install disks.
Thanks, I though Tiger was no longer supported? When I run "software update" will the updates up to 10.4.11 still be there?

I would love to get Leopard but I'm not about to drop the money on it.
Obi-Wan Kubrick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 11:16 AM   #4
tayloralmond
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Missouri, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post
Thanks, I though Tiger was no longer supported? When I run "software update" will the updates up to 10.4.11 still be there?

I would love to get Leopard but I'm not about to drop the money on it.
By "no longer supported," it means they don't have any more new updates. You can still download the updates for OS 9 if you wanted to.
__________________
Mac Pro: 1.86GHz (8 Core), 17GB RAM, Radeon 5770
PowerMac G5 Quad: 16GB RAM PowerMac G4: 2x1.5GHz PowerBook G4 12": 1.5GHz
iMac G3: 600MHz iBook G3: 466MHz
The Blog I Work At: MyMacCollection
tayloralmond is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Obi-Wan Kubrick
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Good to know. Thank you!
Obi-Wan Kubrick is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is possible to install Ati HD 6670m (iMac 2011 21,5) in iMac 27 late 2009?? Gianca90 iMac 4 Nov 5, 2013 04:08 PM
iMac G3 Install OS X Help ilikecorn500 PowerPC Macs 28 Aug 3, 2013 12:23 PM
cant install OS on my Imac 6.1 sunnygirl iMac 13 Jun 20, 2013 11:16 PM
How do I install OS 9 on a G4 iMac? Grimsrud PowerPC Macs 10 Nov 30, 2012 02:19 PM
Can't install OS X on a G3 iMac Macintosh X Apple Collectors 13 Sep 5, 2012 12:33 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC