Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
mr_blood_drive_banner_2012.jpg

This is the Third Annual MacRumors Blood Drive, which runs for the month of May. We encourage our forum members and site visitors, including first-time donors, to donate blood and platelets this month. We hope to top our Blood Drive results from the two previous years. We're in cyberspace so we don't collect blood ourselves. We ask you to donate blood or platelets at your local hospital or other donation center. Donated blood or platelets go to people who need them to survive or recover from injury, surgery, or illness.

Why do we hold blood drives? Because it saves lives. MacRumors is an online community where users regularly help each other with technical issues. We're applying that same spirit to the real world community, where there is a constant need for donated blood and platelets. Most people are eligible to donate but only approximately 3% to 4% of the population chooses to donate blood. We would like to see that percentage increase.

Why should you donate? Because one hour of your time can save the lives of three people in your community. Donating to charities is one way to help people in need, but no amount of money can replace a unit of blood or platelets when and where it's needed. Saving another person's life is the greatest act of charity.

How to participate in the MacRumors Blood Drive:

1. Donate blood or platelets in May

Pick a day when you can spare an hour. Donate blood, platelets, or plasma at any donor center in your city. For more information see our Blood and Platelet Donation Guide.
2. Let us know about it
attachment.php

The reward for donating is personal satisfaction that's hard to describe. But we want to add to your reward by giving you a well-deserved pat on the back.

After you donate take a photo of your arm, with its bandage, plaster, or the small mark on your arm. Show it to us by posting in this thread. Even if you don't take a photo, tell us about the donation you've made. Mention if it's blood or platelets, how many units, and if you're a first-time donor. We're keeping a Blood and Platelet Donor Honor Roll (see below) to give you public thanks for your generosity, and to encourage others.
3. Spread the word
  • Not everyone can donate. Some people are unable, unwilling, or ineligible based on the rules in their country. If you're nervous as a first-time donor, talk to those who have faced that problem before you. Every donor has taken that first step.

Even if you can't donate yourself, you can help. Let others know about the need for blood and platelet donations. Convincing someone else to donate blood adds to the supply just as much as donating yourself. If you convince a friend or family member to donate, tell us about it or take a photo of their arm and post it here. We want to recognize your efforts.

• Copy/paste this line into your forum signature:
    :) [color=red]I support the [thread=1365614]MacRumors Blood Drive[/thread]![/color] :)​
    It'll come out like this:
    :) I support the MacRumors Blood Drive! :)

• If you have an avatar, use our Blood Drive avatar this month:
    Blood-Drop-Avatar.gif

Two other important ways to save lives

1. Register to donate your organs and tissue after your death, and tell your family about your intentions.

2. Register to join your country's National Bone Marrow Registry.
For details see our new Mac Guide:
If you've registered to donate organs, tissue, or marrow, please post in this thread to let us know!

Notes:
  • This thread is for celebrating the participants in the MacRumors Blood Drive. If you want to discuss cultural and religious concerns about donating and receiving blood, restrictions on gay donors, or other social issues, please post in the news thread or our long-term Give Blood! discussion thread.
  • The MacRumors Blood Drive was planned by the MacRumors staff and volunteers with help from forum member Shaun.P.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
attachment.php

The following MacRumors users have reported their blood, platelet, or plasma donation in this thread. Congratulations and thank you for doing your part to help people in need!

May 1 or before:
T-Will: blood
benadd: blood
ironpw: platelets, 3 units
DrV: blood
jmhays: blood
eawmp1: blood, 2 units
Shaun.P: blood
Doctor Q: blood
skinuca: platelets, 3 units
aardwolf: blood

May 2:
dmrowley: blood
cakedandgreen: blood
steveza: blood

May 3:
pgardella: platelets, 3 units

May 4:
josueg942: blood

May 5:
sparkyodom2005: blood

May 9:
mjw11: blood
erzeszut: blood

May 10:
spillproof: blood, 3 units (donated with family)
Timelordprime: platelets, 2 units

May 11:
MasterHowl: blood
ManWorkingHere: platelets

May 14:
G4-power: blood
rcappo: blood

May 16:
stridemat: blood

May 17:
ironpw: platelets, 3 units
oscsjc: blood

May 18:
funone0: blood, 2 units
j-beda: blood

May 19:
mikeyredk: blood

May 22:
itboom: blood

May 24:
Timelordprime: platelets
Oli3000: blood

May 30:
Dylatron2000: blood
TEG: blood

May 31:
AtomicEdge: blood (first-time donor)
rick snagwell: blood (with a team of co-workers)
Mr. Chewbacca: blood

35 Units of Blood and 16 Units of Platelets were donated - 51 units total!

Last edited by a moderator:

benadd

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2007
Leeds
My 11th Donation

One unit of AB+ is winging its way from my arm to a patient near you.

Ar1pxyHCAAELW6a.jpg

Donate over 10 pints in the UK and get this fancy card!

Last edited:

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
We just had a blood drive at my work last week on 4/25; this was my 18th donation.

jmhays

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
+1

This is perfect timing! I just donated yesterday (Monday April 30) at work so one unit of A+ blood is now at the Red Cross with my donor ID on it. I am part of the three gallon club (been donating blood for a long time).

For extra bonus points I am already listed on my drivers license as an organ donor and I signed up 22 years ago as a bone marrow donor.

Last edited:

ironpw

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Triple Units of Platelets at the Torrance Red Cross.

I donate every 2 weeks, baby!

Attachments

• platelet.jpg
    platelet.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 615

ironpw

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Is that healthy? The maximum you can donate in the UK is four times a year, with a minimum of 12 weeks between donations for men.

For platelets can donate every 2 weeks. The apheresis machine centrifuges your red blood cells from the whole blood and returns the red blood cells back to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apheresis

Cancer patients, people with severe trauma, and hemophiliacs depend on the platelets. And human platelets don't have a long shelf life...just 4 days. Whole blood can be stored safety for 35 days. So the shortage of platelets is critical and they are always low on inventory.

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Donate over 10 pints in the UK and get this fancy card!
I didn't get a card, but I got free cookies for donating one unit of whole blood. And think about it - how often does a medical professional tell you to eat cookies?

Attachments

• Doctor-Q-blood-drive-2012.jpg
    Doctor-Q-blood-drive-2012.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 588

skinuca

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
New York City
Too funny reading macrumors from Stanford blood center

Doing a triple platelet donation. 45 min into my 2 hours. Will post photos fom home. Can't do it fom iPad :apple:

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
I donated at work today. The bloodmobile comes every 2 months to our factory and ends up with around 200 units each time.....

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
This annual blood drive here on MacRumors is wonderful! I think this is very educational to many people who don't normally donate blood. It is very important to note though, that donation into the general blood supply is needed year round so for those who can donate, please continue to do so when you are eligible.

I personally have donated dozens and dozens of times over the years, but in the past year a medical condition was discovered and I can no longer donate.

I will also add, that I am an engineer who works for one of the major global blood collection companies for 20 years and I have personally worked on manual collection systems (standard blood bags) as well as various apheresis systems for collecting platelets, plasma, and red cell components. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer as best as I can. I'm also interested for those who are donating if you know which machine you are collecting on and any feedback you have.

Jfizzy

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
I am on deck to donate blood just before Mother's Day. I encourage everyone who thinks they might be able to donate bone marrow to get on the registry as well. I donated bone marrow 3/26/09 and it was an experience that I would repeat in a heartbeat. I never met the recipient and I never will. God bless to all who give...

cakedandgreen

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
Lincoln
Blood and other animals...

69debd2e7c0311e1be6a12313820455d_7.jpg

My contribution to the world of blood. Pint number eight of my 'O-' Rh negative.
Two more and I get a bronze coloured donor card!!!

DrV

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Northern Europe
I visited the local vampires slightly before the start of this campaign (April 30, 1300 UTC). A bag (450 ml) of A- blood, 38th (or so) donation.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
I gave on the way home from work yesterday...

Attachments

• IMG_2946.jpg
    IMG_2946.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 605

Timelordprime

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Toronto
Donated platelets 8-times so far this year

I make my platelet donations in Toronto, at the Canadian Blood Services (CBS) clinic on College Street, near hospital row. I've already donated 8-times this year, and will likely donate two more times this month. I usually make between 20 to 24 donations a year. It's partially paying back for services used by relatives, and to pay it forward, in case I eventually ever need CBS products.

I love that a tech news service is promoting blood donation. Keep up the great work MacRumors.:D
Apherisis photo.jpg Blood Donor Card.JPG
l.jpg
College Street Clinic new beds MacRumors.jpg

Last edited:

Timelordprime

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Toronto
Is that healthy? The maximum you can donate in the UK is four times a year, with a minimum of 12 weeks between donations for men.

In Canada, whole blood donors only have to wait 56-days, meaning they can donate up to seven times per year. The people who are donating every two-weeks, like myself, are donating platelets. Canadian Blood Services (CBS) allows donors to make plateletpheresis donations up to 24 times per year, or twice a month (over 52-weeks, that means an extra week's waiting period, four times a year, which still works out to twice a month). See the CBS website for more information

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Hey, I did a double unit pheresis, so add 1 unit to the tote board. :p

This is perfect timing! I just donated yesterday (Monday April 30) at work so one unit of A+ blood is now at the Red Cross with my donor ID on it. I am part of the three gallon club (been donating blood for a long time).

For extra bonus points I am already listed on my drivers license as an organ donor and I signed up 22 years ago as a bone marrow donor.

I donate every 2 weeks, baby!

I didn't get a card, but I got free cookies for donating one unit of whole blood. And think about it - how often does a medical professional tell you to eat cookies?

I donated at work today. The bloodmobile comes every 2 months to our factory and ends up with around 200 units each time.....

My contribution to the world of blood. Pint number eight of my 'O-' Rh negative.
Two more and I get a bronze coloured donor card!!!

I visited the local vampires slightly before the start of this campaign (April 30, 1300 UTC). A bag (450 ml) of A- blood, 38th (or so) donation.

I gave on the way home from work yesterday...

Congratulations and well done! I have updated the Honor Roll :).

You can further support the blood drive by updating your avatar and signature on the forum - see the original post under point 3 :cool:.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Donated my one unit of blood today.

Well done to everyone else who has donated already - especially the guy who got his gold award (for 50 donations) while I was there.

Attachments

• blood.jpg
    blood.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 538
Last edited:

pgardella

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2004
KY
Donated 3 units of platelets tonight!

If you are counting donations before May 1st, but for 2012, count me in for 14 units of platelets, 2 of plasma, and 1 whole blood.

Next time will be 50 donations :)

-patrick

P.S. Yes, they put the wrap on WAAYYYY too tight. :(

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 4,897

chaleyer

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Sydney, Oz
In Oz, Plasma can be donated every fortnight and Platelets monthly.
Put me down for a double tap of Platelets and a single of Plasma in very late April - in my usual time of ~88 minutes.
Next appointment booked for May 21st.
Congrats to all and keep spreading the word.

gulfie

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Lapsed donor... but not for long!

I donated for years in the UK - blood, then platelets, then blood again, with over 200 donations on record but my working life became somewhat nomadic a couple of years ago making it difficult to get to sessions, so I've not donated since.

The blood drive is a great idea and it has prompted me to sort out getting back on the donor list and into a donor centre. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.