Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iosupdates.jpg

Apple has released a number of updates to several of its apps for the iPhone and iPad. The iLife apps, iPhoto, Garageband, and iMovie, all received minor updates, while Apple also pushed out bug fixes to the Cards greeting-card app, and to iTunes U.

None of the updates offer any significant new features -- the updates mostly offer "performance and stability improvements" or fix other bugs. All the updates can be obtained via the App Store app on the iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: Apple Updates Cards, iPhoto, Garageband, iMovie, and iTunes U iOS Apps

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Probably not. WWDC is about seven weeks away and these are mostly bug fixes: "None of the updates offer any significant new features."

Apple might preview major feature enhancements to these apps (and iOS) at WWDC as developer previews/technology demos, but of more interest would be new APIs in iOS itself so third-party developers would have access to new functionality.

It's not like third-party developers have much say what features should show up in Apple's own end-user apps. The developers do get to choose how to implement new APIs and iOS features in their own apps. This is the main point of attending WWDC, to learn about the new features from a developer's perspective, not as the end user.

Last edited:

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
While bug fixes are always great, I want to point out that there are many flaws with iPhoto, iMovie, and Cards. For iPhoto, the journals feature is awesome, but non existent on iPhoto for Mac. For iMovie, the whole app is still to basic for my liking with few transitions and things of that nature. And for crying out loud Apple, could you make your OWN apps universal like Cards and Apple Store. Other than that, bug fixes are always a good thing though :) :apple:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I'm wishing Apple would start to consolidate some of their iOS apps. There's a lot of similar/redundant functionality and in the spirit of keeping people focused on the content, it'd minimize bouncing around from app to app. Perhaps make some of them in-app purchase add-on modules. They'd each pack a bigger punch if:

Calendar = Calendars + Reminders
Notes = Notes + Stickies + Calculator or simple speadsheet column for running totals
iChat = FaceTime, FaceTime VOIP, Mail, Messages, Twitter
iBooks = iBooks + Newsstand + Catalogs
iPhoto = Pictures + iPhoto + Aperture Filters + a semi-intelligent online community gallery to replace instagram + Cards
iMusic = Music + Garageband + Podcasting
iMovie = Videos + Youtube + Netflix + Vimeo + [Picture in Picture option] + iMovie + Motion & Storyboarder
Remote = Remote, + Netflix/Hulu commands + Frontrow interface w/ Gestures... etc...

Prob need a quicker processor & a bit more ram tho.

Last edited:

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Hope this means iLife 12 is close behind
Unlikely.

Apple probably needs to release OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, then would proceed to release iLife 2012 which would be backward compatible to 10.7 Lion. The new operating system would allow for enhanced functionality for those running the latest operating system.

Remember, these are just a bunch of bugfixes for today's iOS app updates. Same thing for these iLife iOS apps. A released version of iOS 6 would probably be necessary for major functionality changes in these apps.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
I'm wishing Apple would start to consolidate some of their iOS apps. There's a lot of similar/redundant functionality and in the spirit of keeping people focused on the content, it'd minimize bouncing around from app to app. Perhaps make some of them in-app purchase add-on modules. They'd each pack a bigger punch if:

Calendar = Calendars + Reminders
Notes = Notes + Stickies + Calculator or simple speadsheet column for running totals
iChat = FaceTime, FaceTime VOIP, Mail, Messages, Twitter
iBooks = iBooks + Newsstand + Catalogs
iPhoto = Pictures + iPhoto + Aperture Filters + a semi-intelligent online community gallery to replace instagram + Cards
iMusic = Music + Garageband + Podcasting
iMovie = Videos + Youtube + Netflix + Vimeo + [Picture in Picture option] + iMovie + Motion & Storyboarder
Remote = Remote, + Netflix/Hulu commands + Frontrow interface w/ Gestures... etc...

Prob need a quicker processor & a bit more ram tho.

Not too bad of an idea right there except im not going to pay for all of that, it better be free man. Consolidation in some areas such as Calendars and iChat would do OS X and iOS justice. But relax, im sure more consolidation is coming in Mac OS 11 and really some of that is coming with OS X 10.8, aka, hybrid between iOS and OS X :cool:

Last edited:

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Maybe it's just me, but I wish app developers would tell me which particular bugs were fixed in an update, rather than just state "- Bug fixes."

I'd like to know if that particular bug that I noticed or heard about was fixed, or if I'm going to have to continue to deal with it.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but I wish app developers would tell me which particular bugs were fixed in an update, rather than just state "- Bug fixes."

I'd like to know if that particular bug that I noticed or heard about was fixed, or if I'm going to have to continue to deal with it.

I think that many bugs aren't necessarily manifested to the end-user, and even if they described the fix, most users wouldn't understand it anyway.

Plus, describing the fix can help or hurt the developer's reputation - a fixed bug can make the developer a hero, or expose incompetence.

Just a few reasons why you might not see descriptions of app development.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Give this person a break. Looking at this person's profile, apparently he (I'm guessing it's a guy) is not a native English speaker, but Japanese.

He should probably consider hanging out at Japanese-language Apple forums instead (where he could contribute more effectively), but there's no policy here against non-native English-speaking participants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.