Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:18 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Reselling Apple Products on Launch Day: "This whole game is over"

Last week, we reported on long return lines at Apple's 5th Avenue retail store filled with Chinese iPad resellers. Resellers try to buy up as many iPads as possible on launch day to quickly turn around and sell them for a profit. According to our report many of these resellers were returning their iPads with some individuals returning up to 30 devices at one time. We speculated the reason for the returns was due to a an adequate launch supply of new iPads by Apple.

Reuters dug deeper and found that these resellers are having trouble making a profit on Apple's most recent launch, despite a healthy demand for the product in China.

Reuters reports that some of the new pressure comes from Chinese custom authorities which have told shipping companies to stop accepting iPad shipment orders. Meanwhile, the iPad has been added to a list of taxable items entering China. The end result has been much tighter margins than in the past.
Quote:
An electronics dealer in Oakland, California, said he struggled to break even this year, a far cry from previous iPad releases when he shipped upwards of 1,000 tablets and pocketed profits of $50 to $100 per device sent to his buyer in Hong Kong.
The other major factor seems to be an abundance of supply and a simultaneous launch in 10 countries including Hong Kong. As a result, black market prices for the new iPad in China has been falling.

One dealer even said "This whole game is over", due to the overabundance of supply, describing the market as "flooded".

Article Link: Reselling Apple Products on Launch Day: "This whole game is over"
MacRumors is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:20 PM   #2
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Had the same problems this year. Last year buying dozens of iPads a day making $500-$1000 per day for two weeks and this year I still have inventory and will be lucky to break even.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
chatfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhollberg View Post
Had the same problems this year. Last year buying dozens of iPads a day making $500-$1000 per day for two weeks and this year I still have inventory and will be lucky to break even.
I feel really bad for you…NOT
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Invincibilizer
macrumors 6502a

Sorry Apple

The iPad has oversaturated the market, time for android tablets to rise!

Last edited by Invincibilizer; Mar 25, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Invincibilizer is offline   -211 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:21 PM   #5
AriX
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to AriX Send a message via Skype™ to AriX
I assume this is good news for regular customers - less people going into stores and buying up as much supply as they can means more for everyone else.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:22 PM   #6
gadget123
macrumors 68000

Looks like those profit sellers won't be able to do it now.

I remember the Ipad 2 was really hard to get a hold of but now there's enough on the market for everybody.
gadget123 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:23 PM   #7
chuckd83
macrumors regular

I live in China and my family sent me a Kindle through the mail. I had to pay RMB300 (around US$50) to Customs. It's supposed to be 10% of the value of the device. Then I look at the customs receipt and it lists my Kindle as worth RMB3000. Now I know why...friggin resellers.
chuckd83 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:24 PM   #8
sha4000
macrumors regular

Its really ridiculous to have a long thread in the IOS blog section and now put it in this forum
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1347479
sha4000 is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Velin
macrumors 65816

Love it. Hope these scammers wasted scores of hours and cried in frustration.

Thank you Apple.
Velin is offline   100 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Formul
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invincibilizer View Post
Sorry Apple

The iPad has reached its saturated the market, time for android tablets to rise!
i guess you missed the part where Apple sold more iPads than ever this time
Formul is offline   97 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

2 guys in my office bought 2 each, one to keep and one to sell for profit. They decided to return the unsold ones on Friday. Seems Apple did a great job in the supply of these devices this time.
Kebabselector is offline   55 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:31 PM   #12
Ellmer
macrumors newbie

GOOD. Shouldn't be allowed refunds either. Lessons must be learnt.
Ellmer is offline   53 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:32 PM   #13
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

I guess for the next launches Apple will limit the return policy to 2 or five per ID. I can imagine that there is substantial cost involved for Apple with shipping and accepting the returns, checking and reselling those iPads.
andiwm2003 is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Absolutely breaking my heart.

I weep for your plight...
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:35 PM   #15
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
A sad story indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invincibilizer View Post
Sorry Apple

The iPad has oversaturated the market, time for android tablets to rise!
Um no. I think they simply figured out supply and ran with it.

Last edited by r.j.s; Mar 25, 2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: cleanup
GoCubsGo is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:36 PM   #16
Radio
In Time-Out

I returned my iPad because I ended up getting another one tax free
Radio is offline   -24 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:37 PM   #17
Icy1007
macrumors 6502a

Glad the "resellers" aren't making a profit. What they do (did?) should be illegal.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:37 PM   #18
firewood
macrumors 603

Looks like Apple did what was necessary to remove these parasites from the hot new iDevice distribution eco-system. Cut them off financially at the knees by working with customs authorities and purposely flooding the biggest neighborhoods of potential end-user buyers, to thus keep them away from non-authorized resellers. Apple only has to randomly do this every other new device intro or so, and the front companies that pay people to get in line will get cold feet after taking their first loss.
firewood is online now   22 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:39 PM   #19
rsocal
macrumors 6502a

It's nice to see everyone who wants to buy an iPad not have to wait. I'm glad to see Apple plan so well for this launch!
rsocal is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:43 PM   #20
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

I ordered 2 and returned one

Due to the initial LACK of information, while only wanting one, I ordered two.
One AT&T and one Verizon. There was very little information on using these globally and I was trying to pick the best one for that purpose...

Eventually, I decided on one and canceled the other. But had it taken me longer to decide, I'd have had to return one later.

Actually, when I canceled the one, the other was far enough along I couldn't have canceled it (and then it sat in a FedEx warehouse for days and days) so I almost couldn't.

Obviously, my plan wasn't to resell it, but I had assumed that I could have if I needed to. I'm glad I didn't go that route.

Gary
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:47 PM   #21
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmer View Post
GOOD. Shouldn't be allowed refunds either. Lessons must be learnt.
It's amazing how ignorant some people are. The resellers are simply taking part in capitalism. It's what the U.S economy is based on. All companies do it. Buy things at one price, sell them at a higher price, make a profit. The resellers do nothing wrong. They wait in line, they use real money, they find workers to wait in line, they (presumably) pay them to do so. They find buyers, they pay expenses, they make a profit. Sound familiar? Is it just because many of them may be of Asian descent that we view them with such disgust? Or is it jealousy, because we didn't make a buck ourselves. Stop being such hypocrites. Don't you think Apple uses its muscle to buy up parts and get cheap prices for labor and other things to raise their profit margin? What's the difference?
Blorzoga is offline   -29 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:49 PM   #22
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velin View Post
Love it. Hope these scammers wasted scores of hours and cried in frustration.

Thank you Apple.
Explain how they are "scammers". Who are they scamming?
Blorzoga is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:49 PM   #23
class77
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Excellent. Hope you wind up losing money because it's guys like you who make it harder for average people to get an iPad.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:50 PM   #24
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewood View Post
Looks like Apple did what was necessary to remove these parasites from the hot new iDevice distribution eco-system. Cut them off financially at the knees by working with customs authorities and purposely flooding the biggest neighborhoods of potential end-user buyers, to thus keep them away from non-authorized resellers. Apple only has to randomly do this every other new device intro or so, and the front companies that pay people to get in line will get cold feet after taking their first loss.
Parasites?
Blorzoga is offline   -25 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:51 PM   #25
Apple OC
macrumors 68040

personally I think scalpers lined up to sell back to Apple at cost Hilarious

whether they are buying up all the good seats to an event or buying available product so the general public cannot get said items ... scalpers are greedy jerks

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion