Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 1, 2012, 06:29 PM   #1
crashwins
macrumors member

Simple question about iPad 3 for those with experience

I played around with my father's iPad 2 for about a month when he was away..I really enjoyed it for reading, chess, a few other "cerebral" games, netflix, etc. Nothing very taxing for the little machine..

Now, I want to get my own. I have an option for an iPad 2 for $300 that's mint. However, the new screen on the 3 looks great for reading, which I do a lot of. My question concerns the heat: is it going to get much more noticeably hot than the 2 for reading? I'm not worried about heat for watching Netflix, but for reading when it's on my lap, it's a little more concerning.

I also use cases..Like the Speck. Would all of this be moot with the case anyway? I'm sure someone has asked this somewhere, but I'm not a big peruse-r of the forums. Thanks for reading!
crashwins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Ecoh
macrumors 6502a

My iPad 3 does not get hot. It only gets a lithe warm sometimes when watching videos or playing games, never while just reading. I hardly notice the temperature change at all.
Ecoh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:39 PM   #3
SandboxGeneral

My iPad (3rd gen) does not ever get hot. In fact, it barely gets warm. I suppose if I played games more taxing than Angry Birds or GeoDefense, it'll get warm. But for general usage like Tweetbot, Safari, email and other assorted apps, it doesn't get hot and performs like a champ.
Old May 1, 2012, 06:41 PM   #4
jimHdk
macrumors regular

My new iPad never gets hot.
jimHdk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:48 PM   #5
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a

There is, nor never was, a heating issue accept perhaps a few units. It runs warmer than the previous iPads, but not any warmer than a laptop computer or other tablets with comparable graphics chips.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWheelMan View Post
There is, nor never was, a heating issue accept perhaps a few units. It runs warmer than the previous iPads, but not any warmer than a laptop computer or other tablets with comparable graphics chips.
What?! So there is and isn't an issue?quite a paradox.
Mrg02d is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 07:19 PM   #7
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
What?! So there is and isn't an issue?quite a paradox.
There IS no issue, and there NEVER WAS an issue. Get hooked on phonics dude.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:22 PM   #8
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWheelMan View Post
There IS no issue, and there NEVER WAS an issue. Get hooked on phonics dude.
That ipad spell check sure is a beach, huh?
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Jackintosh
macrumors 6502a

Never gets hot. The heat thing is very unusual and more of a myth.
Jackintosh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 07:44 PM   #10
ant69
macrumors regular

the whole issue of ipads overheating was blown out of proportion! - my iphone 4 gets way hotter than my iapd, my ipad gets slightly warm, but nothing alarming. media creating stories out of very little.
ant69 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 11:11 PM   #11
HogWild
macrumors newbie

Case

I used my iPad for several weeks before my case came in. Never more than slightly warm. Is now always in a pad and quill case and have NEVER noticed any heat issues
HogWild is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad