Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 1, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1
koala11
macrumors newbie

Lost/Stolen iPhone activation

My sister lost her iPhone 4S little more than a month ago, she got crazy and somehow got a new phone from them (Verizon). So few days ago the phone turns up. I thought that I might be able to activate it and use it for myself. So I called Verizon and told them that I have an iPhone 4S that would like to get a line for with them. They asked me for the IMEI but they said that is blocked due to being claimed lost/stolen. They suggested to tell the owner to remove the lost/stolen claim, something my sister doesn't want to do as she thinks she will have to return the new phone or that it will get blocked instead (I believe that too, is it correct?).

So, it is any way to activate her old iPhone? Can I unlock it and use it with another carrier? Or there is no way to reuse the phone?

Thanks in advance
koala11 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:05 PM   #2
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

Nope... Verizon will not activate it... ever.
You have a nice iPod Touch. Enjoy.

Technically your sister should return the new phone since her original was recovered.
But since she doesn't want to go that route, she can call and tell them she found it and pay for the replacement phone she received from them so she won't have to worry about the line being deactivated.
Then both of you will have one.
Old May 1, 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
falterego
macrumors 6502

Based on every insurance contract I've seen from the carriers, including Verizon, the lost phone must be returned to the insurance company if found. If the person decides to keep their original phone, they are required to send back (at the user's cost) the replacement phone they were issued. You didn't pay for two devices, so I don't see why you should expect to keep two devices.

Edit: rjohnstone beat me to it by seconds.
falterego is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Gator24765
macrumors 6502a

Yeah this phone will have a bad esn and it basically a paper weight.

13" MBP 2012 2.5 i5; iPhone 5 16gb (Sprint)
Gator24765 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:20 PM   #5
lexdiamonnyc
macrumors member

you can get it activated on one of the cheaper month by month services......metro, h20, etc, etc........
lexdiamonnyc is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:23 PM   #6
blueroom
macrumors 603

Technically it's no longer your phone. Return it and move on.
blueroom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 07:07 PM   #7
aneftp
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala11 View Post
My sister lost her iPhone 4S little more than a month ago, she got crazy and somehow got a new phone from them (Verizon). So few days ago the phone turns up. I thought that I might be able to activate it and use it for myself. So I called Verizon and told them that I have an iPhone 4S that would like to get a line for with them. They asked me for the IMEI but they said that is blocked due to being claimed lost/stolen. They suggested to tell the owner to remove the lost/stolen claim, something my sister doesn't want to do as she thinks she will have to return the new phone or that it will get blocked instead (I believe that too, is it correct?).

So, it is any way to activate her old iPhone? Can I unlock it and use it with another carrier? Or there is no way to reuse the phone?

Thanks in advance
Phone insurance fraud 101.

And this s example umber one why phone insurance deductibles have gone way up.

Although it was innocent lost claim by your sister. Many others in the past have purposely tried they maneuver.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:11 PM   #8
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Depending on who the insurance is through, they may tell you to just keep it.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:13 PM   #9
aneftp
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Depending on who the insurance is through, they may tell you to just keep it.
Bottom line. It's a Verizon iPhone with bad esn. Like other posters said. Verizon will not activate on their network.

They have an iPod touch or try to find someone who can flash it to other CDMA carriers like metro pcs.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:27 PM   #10
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Bottom line. It's a Verizon iPhone with bad esn. Like other posters said. Verizon will not activate on their network.

They have an iPod touch or try to find someone who can flash it to other CDMA carriers like metro pcs.
If it's unlocked, and they do tell you to keep it, you can always sell to an overseas buyer.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:36 PM   #11
lexdiamonnyc
macrumors member

c'mon guys, it's not that serious or complicated......

like I said before, Metro PCS or H20 will activate it for you.......and it will function as a normal iphone would.

it has a bad ESN so none of the major carriers will activate it for you.

you can sell it on craigslist for $300-400 even with a bad esn......
lexdiamonnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 07:49 PM   #12
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

It wont work with h2o since that's gsm and uses AT&T towers.
Metro I believe will allow it to be activated on their network.
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:39 AM   #13
Mrslewis25
macrumors newbie

Yeah, it may work but will you be able to download iTunes and apps? Because my iPhone 4S was stolen and in Houston,TX we don't have Metro here! In my case, the girl who take my phone, I don't want her to activate my iPhone! And I hope that she turn on the "Find My Phone" on, because I'm still tracking my iPhone down! (activate or not)
Please late me know because I payed $700.00 for a new iPhone. But I still miss my old one!!!!
Mrslewis25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:01 AM   #14
Lelegyrl
macrumors newbie

The 4s' have sim cards as well.. Find one cut it down exactly like the one in the 4s. My brother in law did it with his "lost" 4s and hooked it up. Shouldnt be a problem after that. Or you could flash it to a cell phone "mom&pop" shop. Actual metro store might not do it..
Lelegyrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:45 AM   #15
ANMA dojo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala11 View Post

Thanks in advance
if it has not been updated to iOS 6, you can unlock it for AT&T or T-mobile (or other GSM networks) with a Gevey Sim... $10-15 on ebay.
ANMA dojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:48 PM   #16
ammarkr
macrumors newbie

When you guys say that a phone is "blacklisted" by Verizon, what does that actually mean? That it's not receiving any more network coverage, it is receiving coverage but can't make any calls, or that the phone has been locked altogether and can't even get to the home screen until it goes through the activation process again (through iTunes or whatever)?

And from what I've been able to tell online, the guy who's posted the question will be able to activate the phone for use on smaller carriers such as Cricket but not on any of the major ones such as AT&T right (unless he uses a hardware unlock such as Gevey or rsim, in which case he can use it anywhere)? Firstly, how would one go about this activation? Is flashing to a custom firmware required?

Secondly, if I were in a similar situation, could I (without doing any sort of activation in the US) simply take the iPhone abroad with me and start using it on any international carrier (only simple GSM networks), or would it still somehow be locked and require activation before use? (I'm assuming that it's an iPhone 5, which would have come factory unlocked and not require unlocking for intl use).

Thank you in advance for bearing with someone reviving an old thread
ammarkr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:24 PM   #17
617aircav
macrumors 68020

If your sister calls then they will take the esn off the blacklist. She won't have to return the other phone. The insurance company and Verizon are separate.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:56 PM   #18
ammarkr
macrumors newbie

Oh, and further to my questions above, let's suppose I buy a bad ESN iPhone 5 and it turns out that, even to use it abroad, I need to get the ESN cleaned and the phone unlocked.

If I get it flashed to Metro (or any other carrier) and get it activated by them, will this mean that it's now got a clean ESN and is now SIM unlocked, so that I can use it freely on any network abroad? (Even if it's not SIM unlocked, there are unlocking services out there that can unlock it once it's got a clean ESN).

I'm asking this because, from what I've been able to find online, ESN cleaning costs upwards of around $75, and unlocking around $10-20, whereas this carrier flashing/activation process costs only around $50, so that would actually save me money.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:30 PM   #19
617aircav
macrumors 68020

The esn status doesn't affect its use abroad. I really doubt esn can be cleaned.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:19 AM   #20
ammarkr
macrumors newbie

Yeah, the ESN itself shouldn't be a problem abroad, but what I'm worried about is the unlock status. If the phone is locked to Verizon (which I've heard the iPhone 5 shouldn't be), then I would first have to get its ESN cleaned, and then get it unlocked (since that's a prerequisite for unlocking, from what I've been able to gather online).

Secondly, I'm worried that if I upgrade the firmware in the future, the phone would then require activation through iTunes (not through the carrier). Again, in such a case I would have to get the ESN cleaned.

Hence my earlier questions about whether flashing to a smaller carrier cleans the ESN, and whether Verizon iPhone 5's come factory unlocked so that they can be used with local SIM's abroad.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:33 PM   #21
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammarkr View Post
Yeah, the ESN itself shouldn't be a problem abroad, but what I'm worried about is the unlock status. If the phone is locked to Verizon (which I've heard the iPhone 5 shouldn't be), then I would first have to get its ESN cleaned, and then get it unlocked (since that's a prerequisite for unlocking, from what I've been able to gather online).

Secondly, I'm worried that if I upgrade the firmware in the future, the phone would then require activation through iTunes (not through the carrier). Again, in such a case I would have to get the ESN cleaned.

Hence my earlier questions about whether flashing to a smaller carrier cleans the ESN, and whether Verizon iPhone 5's come factory unlocked so that they can be used with local SIM's abroad.
Not sure about Verizon, but I was able to unlock an att iPhone 5 with bad imei using eBay.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:06 PM   #22
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
If your sister calls then they will take the esn off the blacklist. She won't have to return the other phone. The insurance company and Verizon are separate.
Poster only posted once, and that was almost a year ago. Why respond to him now ?
SR45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:24 PM   #23
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
Poster only posted once, and that was almost a year ago. Why respond to him now ?
Never checked to see when the og post was done. The topic just showed up on the main page.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:24 PM   #24
possh23
macrumors newbie

my metro pcs phone

I lost my metro pcs phone, I reported it lost, I had insurance so I paid a lower price for a new phone and I found my phone so now my question is can I reactivate it? give it to my daughter ect? are they unlockable
possh23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:43 PM   #25
jmarquez730
macrumors newbie

Found out the iPhone 4s phone I bought online is either reported lost or stolen it's unlocked the only carrier not mainstream is cricket will they connect for me???
jmarquez730 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone