Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2012
bought a macbookpro 15 last week. imstalled 16 g ram and went to town. installed windows and parallels and bought logicpro, etc. been using it like nobodys business all week long. im on vacation for a month, relaxing and decompressing from my last job. so i returned it last night since the new ones are right around the corner and i TOTALLY forgot about that when i bought.

problem is, now im actually depressed. i got addicted to that thing and even though were only a few months away from the new releases im actually considering going back and getting my macbook back from the apple store. am i crazy? i mean, i will most likely lose 1000 bucks when. it comes time to sell it. i will definitely be getting the new macbookpro 15 with retina and ivybridge, thats not an option. so basically ill be renting this one for like 300 bucks a month. plus im going to the east coast for a few weeks and was looking forward to bringing that thing with me. now i have nothing but my ipad.. am i nuts for even considering going back and rebuying that? as corny as this sounds, i got emotionally attached to that macbook pro. i did three jobs on it while i had it.. dam..

john

Teem45

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Dallas, TX
As someone who bought a 13-inch I didn't need a couple weeks ago and regret it but decided not to return it, I would say try to get over your depression and wait it out. It can't be too much longer, and you'll be a whole lot happier then and hopefully look back on this depressed couple of weeks and laugh at yourself. Don't throw your money away on last year's model when you really want this year's model. I will take my own advice going forward. ;)

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
I know how you feel. Last night I almost bought a MBP, i swear to you i was going to get on the train.

You've come this far. Wait.

:apple:

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
bought a macbookpro 15 last week. imstalled 16 g ram and went to town. installed windows and parallels and bought logicpro, etc. been using it like nobodys business all week long. im on vacation for a month, relaxing and decompressing from my last job. so i returned it last night since the new ones are right around the corner and i TOTALLY forgot about that when i bought.

problem is, now im actually depressed. i got addicted to that thing and even though were only a few months away from the new releases im actually considering going back and getting my macbook back from the apple store. am i crazy? i mean, i will most likely lose 1000 bucks when. it comes time to sell it. i will definitely be getting the new macbookpro 15 with retina and ivybridge, thats not an option. so basically ill be renting this one for like 300 bucks a month. plus im going to the east coast for a few weeks and was looking forward to bringing that thing with me. now i have nothing but my ipad.. am i nuts for even considering going back and rebuying that? as corny as this sounds, i got emotionally attached to that macbook pro. i did three jobs on it while i had it.. dam..

john

Just... WTF. Where to start? First, who confirmed a new macbook pro? Apple? NO. There will probably be one, but we don't know. It's very very simple, do you need/want a macbook pro now? Then go buy it and shut up about a new one. There will ALWAYS be a new one.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
Depending on how much you got paid for those 3 jobs, how many hours you spent on those 3 jobs (on the MBP), any other costs that I'm not aware of for your job, plus what you'll get for it after sale, and your MBP might have already paid itself off.

That being said, if you can't handle this in your life and you've become emotionally distraught, delete your account on Macrumors, purge your cookies/history, and remove yourself from the technological world because this is par for the course and it isn't changing any time soon. All you're doing is adding unnecessary stress on your mind and body, which could negatively affect your future productivity, personal life, and health, with no gains to offset it.

tl;dr: There is more to life than having the newest and greatest in Macbooks...if the gains in productivity do not supercede the costs of purchase by a material amount, who cares?

MacBiz

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
Cali
Wait it out. I am looking for a used one and posted stuff to trade for one until the new MBP come out. I just need something to get me by until then. Old one just crapped out.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Unfortunately you are not alone. Thankfully I am not one of them. But there are people like yourself, who are so caught up in needing the latest and greatest of everything that they don't stop to realize that happiness and contentment is right in front of them. It's sad for sure. The industrial revolution that the unibomber wrote about is partially to blame. In the end, man will become a slave to technology, if it hasn't already taken place. Judging by your post, I think you have been enslaved by the Apple Gods.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
ivy bridge is likely to be a "meh" upgrade for 15" users (big news is GPU, and you have discrete, so...).

retina is yet to be announced, if you had a hires the screen is already decent.

if you have to have the new shiny on release just because... well, i can think of plenty of better things to spend my money on (beer, hookers, whatever). upgrading every hardware rev is expensive and not really a huge win. wait until haswell then upgrade in 2013 or so.

jkeekij

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Emotionally attached to a computer?? :confused: How pathetic is that?? Time to get a life, friends, and hobbies.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2012
was looking for a little solidarity. maybe a little laugh.. maybe a little love.. im a bit taken back by some of the sarcasm. strange. i was addicted to the experience of having creativity at the bridge, not the machine.. but i didnt think i needed to explain that.. maybe im in the wrong place. i have a life and i have friends.. just wanted to share. have a good night..

flipnap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2012
by the way, i was venting a little and having some fun. that macbookpro was a blast and for the first tme in 5 months i sat down to do a little project all for myself. fun. no dailies, no directors, no budget meetings.. had a blast.

why am i being called pathetic and to go find some friends? venomous. this place is as bad if not worse than cnn blogs.. i was just having fun and doing some creative writing.

sorry that bothered you with my "1st world problems".. (which by the way is such a trendy saying it makes me sick)

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
by the way, i was venting a little and having some fun. that macbookpro was a blast and for the first tme in 5 months i sat down to do a little project all for myself. fun. no dailies, no directors, no budget meetings.. had a blast.

why am i being called pathetic and to go find some friends? venomous. this place is as bad if not worse than cnn blogs.. i was just having fun and doing some creative writing.

sorry that bothered you with my "1st world problems".. (which by the way is such a trendy saying it makes me sick)

Id overall people on forums nowadays are less inclined to help and support other people on forums, I guess its a generation thing, 10 years ago on computerforums there were much less aggressive attitudes and less sarcasm, but maybe thats just my experience.

Also its probably a bit due to the fact that everyone is on edge waiting/hoping for some new releases, I know Im frustrated, I know Im not alone, take away a heroinists heroine and see what happens, haha, nevermind the sulkers. I know the feeling, the Mbp cant be compared with any other laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.