Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 1, 2012, 08:49 PM   #1
PaulWog
macrumors 6502

New iPad built-in voice control

I'm curious if anyone knows anything about the privacy of the voice control feature on the new iPad. The information is supposedly sent into apple and then the text back to the iPad user. I'm wondering how much apple keeps.

Example: could someone be convicted of a crime for something they said on the mic.

Obviously I don't plan to commit a crime, but just using that as an example, is privacy ripped from you in those regards with this feature?
PaulWog is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 09:21 PM   #2
s15119
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulWog View Post
I'm curious if anyone knows anything about the privacy of the voice control feature on the new iPad. The information is supposedly sent into apple and then the text back to the iPad user. I'm wondering how much apple keeps.

Example: could someone be convicted of a crime for something they said on the mic.

Obviously I don't plan to commit a crime, but just using that as an example, is privacy ripped from you in those regards with this feature?
If you're talking about siri, it's not included in the new iPad. It's on the newest iPhone. I doubt if Apple saves your queries. But it's not secure communication.
s15119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 09:44 PM   #3
PaulWog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15119 View Post
If you're talking about siri, it's not included in the new iPad. It's on the newest iPhone. I doubt if Apple saves your queries. But it's not secure communication.
The technology is likely using the same parts of code Siri uses for voice recognition, but it's not Siri.

And yes, voice recognition is built into the new iPad. It's not an app: it is built in.
PaulWog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulWog View Post
Absent any case history, I think if you are, hypothetically, going to commit a crime, then you would be wise not to dictate evidence of it into the iPad. But whether or not Apple keeps the data, for how long, and if the data is stored in such a way so that a particular bit of dictation can be traced to a particular user... there's a lot of variables we don't know, and I doubt Apple is about to disclose them, either. Also, legally speaking, I'm not sure if there's been any cases testing how much discretion law enforcement has in accessing such data, and what the proper procedure should be in obtaining clearance for accessing that kind of data. So I wouldn't be surprised if one day someone is arrested for a crime based on evidence found in Apple's Siri / dictation database, but at the same time, I expect such an arrest would trigger a long and convoluted legal fight over whether that violates civl rights.
Night Spring is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:10 AM   #5
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
Absent any case history, I think if you are, hypothetically, going to commit a crime, then you would be wise not to dictate evidence of it into the iPad. But whether or not Apple keeps the data, for how long, and if the data is stored in such a way so that a particular bit of dictation can be traced to a particular user... there's a lot of variables we don't know, and I doubt Apple is about to disclose them, either. Also, legally speaking, I'm not sure if there's been any cases testing how much discretion law enforcement has in accessing such data, and what the proper procedure should be in obtaining clearance for accessing that kind of data. So I wouldn't be surprised if one day someone is arrested for a crime based on evidence found in Apple's Siri / dictation database, but at the same time, I expect such an arrest would trigger a long and convoluted legal fight over whether that violates civl rights.
Good points, but if CISPA passes, they may become, as they say, moot.
Old May 2, 2012, 01:01 AM   #6
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWheelMan View Post
Good points, but if CISPA passes, they may become, as they say, moot.
Didn't Obama say he will veto it? Even if he changes his mind and signs it, I bet there will be constitutional challenges against it.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad