Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
You can't beat the price of $199 for logic 9 at the Apple app store but what happens if you purchase Logic 9 and a week later Logic 10 is released.

Will you have to fork over another $199. If so then $199 isn't such a great price but about what most other major Daws charge for a full version upgrade.

dj-anon

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
You have to compare Logic with the full fledged versions of its competitors. Even if you end up buying Logic twice it would be less than buying Cubase once or Ableton Suite.

I know that is not reassuring, but if you really want to use Logic, right now you have to take the risk. There is nothing that clearly indicates that Logic 10 will come soon.

Kenaudio

macrumors member
May 6, 2012
Europe
Usually...they...

...will give a free upgrade to those who recently bought the before-version. Of course there is a certain period of time in which they offer a free upgrade...Anyway...normally updates or upgrades from one version to another are NOT that expensive like the complete purchase is.
So...I wouldn't mind and buy it!!!

Cheers,
KA

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You can't beat the price of $199 for logic 9 at the Apple app store but what happens if you purchase Logic 9 and a week later Logic 10 is released.

Will you have to fork over another $199. If so then $199 isn't such a great price but about what most other major Daws charge for a full version upgrade.

In the past Apple has had upgrade pricing and offered a free upgrade to those who bought the product in the last month or so.

I'd say if you need Logic today, buy it today. If you don't need it then don't buy it. Waiting is never a good plan if you have nothing to use now

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Thanks for the replies

I have a DAW(Metro 6) for composing but I would like to learn a DAW with more audio capabilities for studio recording. I bought DP6 which now doesn't work with Lion and I am hesitant to invest anymore time and money in it.

I'll just wait for the next version of Logic.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Well I just bought Logic 9 two days ago at the app store and have been really happy with it so far. Honestly, I can't imagine that the current feature set wouldn't keep me happy for some time to come. I am still running other old professional applications like Final Cut Pro 6 and VectorWorks 2008. They still do the same things they did when I first bought them, and still do what I need.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Well I just bought Logic 9 two days ago at the app store and have been really happy with it so far. Honestly, I can't imagine that the current feature set wouldn't keep me happy for some time to come.

I know Logic 9 is a top DAW but I'm hoping for some major new features for Logic 10 and hopefully Apple will rewrite parts of it that i've read are still not very Apple like. Maybe even voice and touch control.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Well I suppose "Apple-like" is subjective. I bought my first Apple computer in 1978 and have watched the software evolve over the years. To me, Logic Pro is completely "Apple-like", in the tradition of their other Pro Apps that I have been using for 10 years - Final Cut Pro, Motion, DVD Studio, etc. That was one reason why I decided to buy it, because I felt right at home.

If voice and touch control are what lies ahead in Logic 10, then I'm even happier that I got Logic 9. IMO, we are witnessing the "dumbing down" of Apple products in response to the popularity of the iPad. I think the touch interface on my iPhone is brilliant because it puts a computer in my pocket, so I'm willing to accept compromises.

On my desktop, I want a "real" computer with a keyboard, mouse and control surface. I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, but if I wanted an iPad interface, I'd buy an iPad. I got one for my kids and my Granddaughter was using it before she was one year old. That's nice, but I want a "grownup toy" myself. :D

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Well I suppose "Apple-like" is subjective. I bought my first Apple computer in 1978 and have watched the software evolve over the years. To me, Logic Pro is completely "Apple-like", in the tradition of their other Pro Apps that I have been using for 10 years - Final Cut Pro, Motion, DVD Studio, etc. That was one reason why I decided to buy it, because I felt right at home.:D

Well I suppose "Apple-like" is subjective. I bought my first Apple computer in 1978 and have watched the software evolve over the years. To me, Logic Pro is completely "Apple-like", in the tradition of their other Pro Apps that I have been using for 10 years - Final Cut Pro, Motion, DVD Studio, etc. That was one reason why I decided to buy it, because I felt right at home. :D

In 1978 as a post hippie musician computers were not on my radar yet. It was all acoustic, electric, microphones and tape.

Apple has made major changes to Logic since it's acquisition in 2002 but from what I have read in reviews there are still user unfriendly features left over from it's Emagic days such as the Environment. I think Opcode's Studio Vision could have been a better product for Apple to acquire but unfortunately Gibson bought Opcode it in 1998 and killed Studio Vision in 1999. These were pretty dark days for Mac applications.

I don't have an iPad but have used Moog's Animoog on my iPhone for one piece of music. I think the touch interface along with voice is probably the future of computing and that apple will be the first company to eliminate the keyboard and mouse from it's full product line, what ever that product line looks like in the future.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Well, of course we all have our own needs and preferences. Personally I would think that touch and voice input would appear in something like GarageBand before Logic.

But I really have no idea. Under Tim Cook, it seems Apple is more likely to give the masses what they want instead of following some kind of personal vision. Touch and voice are probably high on that list. They just aren't on my list.

All I know is that I'm happy with Logic 9. I hope Logic 10 does everything that you want.

metasone

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
"but from what I have read in reviews there are still user unfriendly features left over from it's Emagic days such as the Environment"

I don't really agree with this..... although I'm way off comprehending the environment i love that it's there and my personal lack of understanding doesn't restrict me using Logic in many other ways....

It'd be a real shame if the environment was ditched because there's so much that can be achieved with it.

and as for voice command - i really can't see that being of any use what so ever.... Turning my monitor's down every time i want to carry out a function, ? recording in the control room and whispering into my mac, ? hmmm...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I don't have an iPad but have used Moog's Animoog on my iPhone for one piece of music. I think the touch interface along with voice is probably the future of computing and that apple will be the first company to eliminate the keyboard and mouse from it's full product line, what ever that product line looks like in the future.

Voice is generally a poor interface for many kinds of tasks. Let's say you are designing a magazine cover. Just try and imagine how hard that would be using a voice command system.

Touch sounds nice too. Have you tried to sign your own name using fingers on an iPad. Let a lone calligraphy. Touch only works for very simple things

Music is the exception. Drummers and pianists depend on touch and it can cary over to and iPad. But except for Music touch only "works" for media consumers, not media creators.

Typing and voice are the same thing except many people type faster.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Voice is generally a poor interface for many kinds of tasks. Let's say you are designing a magazine cover. Just try and imagine how hard that would be using a voice command system.

Touch sounds nice too. Have you tried to sign your own name using fingers on an iPad. Let a lone calligraphy. Touch only works for very simple things

Music is the exception. Drummers and pianists depend on touch and it can cary over to and iPad. But except for Music touch only "works" for media consumers, not media creators.

Typing and voice are the same thing except many people type faster.

Yes, all true if one is talking about present technology. I was talking about several years in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.