Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 1, 2012, 11:18 PM   #1
adam044
macrumors 65816

Unknown Artists?!

starting today about 5-9 different artists on my iphone 4s 5.1 started showing Unknown. they artist will appear in the right order but say unknown. like bob marley it says unknown but it is listed in the right alphelbitical order as if it says bob marley, when i play a song from something that say inknown it has the right artist and everything under the name of the song. what is this? it just happened today after i played around with itunes match which i turned off and on and off again because i dont see the point to have it turned on, on a device
adam044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:31 AM   #2
Missjenna
macrumors 6502a

Have you tried removing the song and resyncing with iTunes? Might help.
Missjenna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Macman45
macrumors G5

This can also happen when songs are part of a compilation. I fixed a lot of mine by using a tip posted a while back.

Open itunes on your computer, and select the songs that have either no artwork, or are not recognised by name of artist. Hit CMD+I...a menu will appear, look for the check box that is marked "Part of a compilation" and uncheck it.

Repeat as required...It didn't fix them all, but most then showed up correctly, and some of the stuff I have is pretty obscure anyway.
Old May 2, 2012, 06:07 AM   #4
adam044
macrumors 65816

Yes I have tried resyncing and no change. Also nothing is part of a complication
adam044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:40 AM   #5
emjaycee18
macrumors regular

Double check the tagging in the song. It might appear in the right order becaue the album/track information is correct, but the artist or album artist isn't filled out.
emjaycee18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:51 PM   #6
holle8e3
macrumors newbie

Same thing

The same thing has happened to me.

I believe I messed this up because when I was downloading the music from iTunes match, I was updating to iOS 6.1 at the same time. This caused the music to not completely download. Then once iOS 6.1 was finished, the artist was listed as unknown but in the correct place among all the other artists. No these songs are not part of a compilation. I turned off iTunes match from everything (computer/iPhone), deleted all music from the iPhone and tried to sync old school way (USB). On the Mac the artist is correct. I selected only the one affected artist to sync. Synced it over to the iPhone, and it appears as unknown... Ive tried to erase everything then restart the phone with no music then turn on only itunes match and it still says the artist is unknown. who knows... at least its only one artist and its in the correct place.

Basically what I'm saying is that whatever I do, no matter the method (USB, WiFi sync, iTunes Match..), when the 4 albums from this one artist hit the iPhone's music library, they list as unknown.

weird.
holle8e3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:40 PM   #7
samanazadi
macrumors newbie

profile music unknown

Helping a friend to find details of this famous song
http://www.4shared.com/mp3/8SKmfVHw/a1_online.html?
samanazadi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 01:44 AM   #8
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
This can also happen when songs are part of a compilation. I fixed a lot of mine by using a tip posted a while back.

Open itunes on your computer, and select the songs that have either no artwork, or are not recognised by name of artist. Hit CMD+I...a menu will appear, look for the check box that is marked "Part of a compilation" and uncheck it.

Repeat as required...It didn't fix them all, but most then showed up correctly, and some of the stuff I have is pretty obscure anyway.
I think this is what i'm facing too.

Even worse, all it takes in a song/track not to be part of that album for it to make it as "Unknown."

You then have the long task of finding the song in question, or getting the the entire album again.

I guess this is what comes to getting stuff that's not on iTunes, since iTunes stuff would always be matched.

Most of my stuff IS mactched, but about half of my 900 songs could easily be scatted across albums (same version of the song, same artist etc).... but just because their not part of the album, makes it "umatched" and/or "unknown"

I dunno how you'd fix the missing covert art in this case. I don't even think you can.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone