Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

install.jpg

Apple issued a software update for OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3 this evening. Apple released Developer Preview 3 to developers. The update brings the build number of Mountain Lion up to 12A193i (from 12A178q).
If you already have Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3 installed, choose Software Update from the Apple menu to download the update from the Mac App Store. Download Xcode 4.4 Developer Preview 4 from the Mac Dev Center to continue building apps for Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3 Update.
One change noted by 9to5Mac is the addition of a "Do Not Disturb" setting to Mountain Lion's Notifications Center:

ncdnt.png

Besides the Notification Center, Mountain Lion also borrows a number of other features from iOS, such as Reminders, Messages, and Game Center. Apple first previewed Mountain Lion back in February and promises deliver to customers in late summer 2012.

Article Link: Apple Issues Update to OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Xcode

"Xcode 4.4 Developer Preview 4 for Mountain Lion" is available as well.

Edit: Original post mentions that.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
There's one thing I have started to hate about Apple - Bad UI design.

I mean - we have great UI experts at Apple and some of the UI elements on OS X and iOS are just so bad-looking.

Just look at the volume bar or status bar on iOS, notification centre on iPad and OS X, now this switch button with the exact same UI from iOS, the whole final cut pro in helvetica.

There's something wrong going on in 1 Infinite Loop. Apple needs to come up with much more innovating and better looking UI designs even those these ones solve a purpose and do it just fine. It's all we Apple geeks have craved for years - great UI design and its implementation.

EDIT: Apple needs to fix the font in the notification centre on OS X- Helvetica is not suitable for low PPI displays running OS X and it looks crippled.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
I havent heard to many complaints about bug issues for the last dev beta. That gets me excited, especially since its may now. We could just a few short months from a GM. Idk about anyone else, but i still have a soft spot for Mac OS X, iOS is great and by far more popular, but my love for Apple goes back well before iOS :) :apple:

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
while i feel that lion has stabilized, i hope they continue to work on improving overall performance for mountain lion

Last edited:

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
EDIT: Apple needs to fix the font in the notification centre on OS X- Helvetica is not suitable for low PPI displays running OS X and it looks crippled.

This is true. Best practice (before Apple took over the world, lol) was to use Arial(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) on websites, because it is nicely hinted for the 72dpi crapmachines of the 90s and 00s.

...that's about the only good thing about it BTW:p

amanpatel

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
What is that icon after Spotlight, anyone have any ideas?

That's the notifications drawer icon (but in do not disturb mode).

Also, I think no body mentioned this, but you can activate the notification drawer via a drag from left gesture with 2 fingers (trackpads). It only activates if you are doing the gesture from the edge of the trackpad, so as to keep the 2 finger swipe gestures working correctly most of the time (except when you really want to get the notifications drawer out).

Works well in practice.

kenboy127

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Older Macs

Anyone know how it runs on older Macs? More specifically, a 2.26 core 2 duo with 4gb RAM?

Thanks

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Been running DP3 for two weeks now on my MBA and it runs pretty smooth, also in combination with the apps I used most.

This update does take a while to install, though.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
Updated But Can't Find "Do Not Disturb" Toggle

I updated on my 13" 2011 MBP and cant find the toggle. Does anyone else have the toggle?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 2.53.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 2.53.21 AM.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 8,952
  • Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 2.53.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 2.53.35 AM.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 8,908

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Some pro-Apple people on this forum are seriously butthurt over any critical comments made. Sad thing, is they fail to understand that this is for our benefit as well as for Apple.

This was used to be a constructive forum - now its just people getting butthurt over any critical comments made on Apple or Apple products. Grow up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.