Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 2, 2012, 01:28 AM   #1
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Exclamation Why do I have to enter in my password every time I update apps?

Very, very obtrusive.
MattMJB0188 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:37 AM   #2
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

I for one applaud any security feature that safe guards me.

iPhone 6 Plus 16GB Space Grey - iOS 8.0.2
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 8.0.2
bandofbrothers is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:39 AM   #3
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
Because updating your app is a total security nightmare....
macsrcool1234 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:40 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5

^^^

It's there for your protection....I'm perfectly happy to type in my password each time i download an app....Much better than getting a bill for stuff somebody else downloaded on your device.
Old May 2, 2012, 01:42 AM   #5
RolandNights
macrumors 6502a

I don't mind typing in my password. I mean, you type it in once, you don't have to type it in again until it "times out."

However, I do mind going back to my homescreen every single time I update or download an app.
RolandNights is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:55 AM   #6
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsrcool1234 View Post
Because updating your app is a total security nightmare....
Because any security feature present is welcome in my opinion and experience.

Ive been a victim of having my bank account hacked in the past and such security features meant the hacker didn't get away with nearly 2,000.

back !!

iPhone 6 Plus 16GB Space Grey - iOS 8.0.2
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 8.0.2
bandofbrothers is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:43 AM   #7
emjaycee18
macrumors regular

It's because an app update is treated like a sale, even though it's free. You could use the same argument for not needing a password to download a free app. I would much rather type my password everytime, so I know that I'm authorizing each download.
emjaycee18 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:59 AM   #8
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

I hate it. For just updating...I think we should be able to choose to bypass typing a password.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:01 AM   #9
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandNights View Post
I don't mind typing in my password. I mean, you type it in once, you don't have to type it in again until it "times out."

However, I do mind going back to my homescreen every single time I update or download an app.
This. I find that to be the larger annoyance. IIRC my Droid would update on the same screen & I'd see the progress bars.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:29 AM   #10
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjack View Post
I hate it. For just updating...I think we should be able to choose to bypass typing a password.
Imagine you heard here on MacRumors that a certain upgrade to a certain app should be avoided. So you don't update. And your stupid little brother grabs your iPad or iPhone and updates it. Which he can because he doesn't need a password. And then he downloads a dozen free apps that you don't want.
gnasher729 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:40 AM   #11
pdqgp
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Imagine you heard here on MacRumors that a certain upgrade to a certain app should be avoided. So you don't update.
Then do like most PC's do and give us an option to choose to auto update apps. I would. I've never had an app that I didn't do an update on.

Quote:
And your stupid little brother grabs your iPad or iPhone and updates it. Which he can because he doesn't need a password. And then he downloads a dozen free apps that you don't want.
His point was that updates would be allowed but not purchases. Should be easy enough to implement too.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:07 AM   #12
sviato
macrumors 68010

There are some paid updates. So I guess it may be to prevent others from "buying" these updates for you
sviato is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:09 AM   #13
pooleman
macrumors 65816

I wish the app update could work with a 4 digit PIN the same as the locking feature on the phone. I'm all for passwords and security but my password is a pain to type and it's long. Using the 4 digit PIN is adequate for app updates I think. Especially since app updates are free and there is very little risk in updating an app.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:22 AM   #14
cynics
macrumors 604

Some could argue the more you use a password the less secure it becomes.

Im in the same boat and wish free updates did not require my main apple id. If someone has my phone and had beaten the pin well downloading any app is going to be the least of my worries, updating apps psshh that's minor.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:35 AM   #15
onthecouchagain
Banned

The thing that actually annoys me more is the fact that iOS pulls you out of the app store whenever you pick an app to download. It's as if apple think people only shop one app at a time all the time. Absurd.
onthecouchagain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:43 AM   #16
b24pgg
macrumors 65816

I agree, it's obtrusive and incredibly annoying. The "extra security feature" argument doesn't hold much weight since Android allows automatic updating in the background without having to type your password every time and it works perfectly fine.
b24pgg is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 09:16 AM   #17
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
The "extra security feature" argument doesn't hold much weight since Android allows automatic updating in the background without having to type your password every time and it works perfectly fine.
Huh?? Where's the connection to the iPhone? Because Android has poor security that makes it right?
Givmeabrek is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 09:22 AM   #18
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

It takes 5 seconds to type the password.

I'd rather have it there than not have it.

I think "very, very obtrusive" is a bit much, no?

Relax, enjoy life, love, and have peace of mind.

----------

Quote:
I agree, it's obtrusive and incredibly annoying. The "extra security feature" argument doesn't hold much weight since Android allows automatic updating in the background without having to type your password every time and it works perfectly fine.
I don't see much sense in your argument. That it "works perfectly fine" is completely different than a security measure.
RoboCop001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 09:43 AM   #19
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
I guess it can but Appe should give us the option to ask for it.

Quote:
If only iOS was like this that'd be great but this way isn't "safe" lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
Huh?? Where's the connection to the iPhone? Because Android has poor security that makes it right?
No fanboys allowed in my thread. Go away!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCop001 View Post
It takes 5 seconds to type the password.

I'd rather have it there than not have it.

I think "very, very obtrusive" is a bit much, no?

Relax, enjoy life, love, and have peace of mind.

----------

I don't see much sense in your argument. That it "works perfectly fine" is completely different than a security measure.
It is very obtrusive. My password is long and we SHOULD HAVE THE OPTION to turn it off. Of course options aren't possible with this company.

I'd liove to sit down with Scott Forstall and just ask why his believe iOS doesn't give me the option to tun off this annoyance.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 10:07 AM   #20
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaycee18 View Post
It's because an app update is treated like a sale, even though it's free. You could use the same argument for not needing a password to download a free app. I would much rather type my password everytime, so I know that I'm authorizing each download.
I agree.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:47 AM   #21
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

I can see requiring it for new apps, but it shouldn't need it for updating apps that I already have.

What really annoys me too is that there's no way to get rid of the badges for the App Store. I tried this patch from Cydia, but it didn't work for me. If anyone knows of a way to just permanently set the App Store badge to zero, please let me know. I would be fine with not knowing about updates until I plug into iTunes. I could put it on the 5th page of apps with all of the games, I'd probably almost never see it, but that's kind of a kludgy solution.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 10:48 AM   #22
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

It's a matter of having total control. I get annoyed sometimes when I'm updating an app, but I don't just think about how annoyed I am at the moment. I think about how annoyed I'd be if something bad happened.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:51 AM   #23
b24pgg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
Because Android has poor security that makes it right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCop001 View Post
That it "works perfectly fine" is completely different than a security measure.
Why does app updating require any security at all? You've already paid for the app.

Last edited by b24pgg; May 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
b24pgg is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 11:56 AM   #24
ElZeus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Why does app updating require any security at all? You've already paid for the app.

And FYI, Android's pattern lock has 389K combinations while Apple's PIN lock has 10K - something to consider before accusing Android of having "poor security."
Simple passcode off would like to have a word with you...
ElZeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:01 PM   #25
b24pgg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElZeus View Post
Simple passcode off would like to have a word with you...
Fair enough...I knew Android allowed a password lock but didn't realize iOS did as well.

My first point however is still valid; app updating shouldn't have any need for added security as you've already paid for the app. Having to type it every time and consequently the lack of automatic updating is just an annoyance.
b24pgg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone