Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2, 2012, 01:28 AM   #1
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816
 
MattMJB0188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Exclamation Why do I have to enter in my password every time I update apps?

Very, very obtrusive.
MattMJB0188 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:37 AM   #2
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040
 
bandofbrothers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Uk
I for one applaud any security feature that safe guards me.
__________________
MacBook Air 11 Core i5 1.6GHz 4GB 128GB 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5.

iPhone 6 Plus 16GB Space Grey - iOS 8.0.2
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 8.0.2
bandofbrothers is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:39 AM   #3
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
I for one applaud any security feature that safe guards me.
Because updating your app is a total security nightmare....
macsrcool1234 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:40 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
^^^

It's there for your protection....I'm perfectly happy to type in my password each time i download an app....Much better than getting a bill for stuff somebody else downloaded on your device.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:42 AM   #5
RolandNights
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
I don't mind typing in my password. I mean, you type it in once, you don't have to type it in again until it "times out."

However, I do mind going back to my homescreen every single time I update or download an app.
RolandNights is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:55 AM   #6
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040
 
bandofbrothers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsrcool1234 View Post
Because updating your app is a total security nightmare....
Because any security feature present is welcome in my opinion and experience.

Ive been a victim of having my bank account hacked in the past and such security features meant the hacker didn't get away with nearly 2,000.

back !!
__________________
MacBook Air 11 Core i5 1.6GHz 4GB 128GB 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5.

iPhone 6 Plus 16GB Space Grey - iOS 8.0.2
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 8.0.2
bandofbrothers is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:43 AM   #7
emjaycee18
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
It's because an app update is treated like a sale, even though it's free. You could use the same argument for not needing a password to download a free app. I would much rather type my password everytime, so I know that I'm authorizing each download.
emjaycee18 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:59 AM   #8
Blakjack
macrumors 65816
 
Blakjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tallahassee Fl.
I hate it. For just updating...I think we should be able to choose to bypass typing a password.
__________________
1.051.855.000
Blakjack is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:01 AM   #9
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandNights View Post
I don't mind typing in my password. I mean, you type it in once, you don't have to type it in again until it "times out."

However, I do mind going back to my homescreen every single time I update or download an app.
This. I find that to be the larger annoyance. IIRC my Droid would update on the same screen & I'd see the progress bars.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:29 AM   #10
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjack View Post
I hate it. For just updating...I think we should be able to choose to bypass typing a password.
Imagine you heard here on MacRumors that a certain upgrade to a certain app should be avoided. So you don't update. And your stupid little brother grabs your iPad or iPhone and updates it. Which he can because he doesn't need a password. And then he downloads a dozen free apps that you don't want.
gnasher729 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:40 AM   #11
pdqgp
macrumors 65816
 
pdqgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Imagine you heard here on MacRumors that a certain upgrade to a certain app should be avoided. So you don't update.
Then do like most PC's do and give us an option to choose to auto update apps. I would. I've never had an app that I didn't do an update on.

Quote:
And your stupid little brother grabs your iPad or iPhone and updates it. Which he can because he doesn't need a password. And then he downloads a dozen free apps that you don't want.
His point was that updates would be allowed but not purchases. Should be easy enough to implement too.
__________________
Family Currently uses: iP3g, (2) iPH4s, iPad Mini Retina, iPad Air Latest Generation, Kindle Paper white, Fire & my Galaxy Note 3 & an iPhone 6
pdqgp is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:07 AM   #12
sviato
macrumors 68010
 
sviato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: HR 9038 A
There are some paid updates. So I guess it may be to prevent others from "buying" these updates for you
sviato is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:09 AM   #13
pooleman
macrumors 65816
 
pooleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eastern CT
I wish the app update could work with a 4 digit PIN the same as the locking feature on the phone. I'm all for passwords and security but my password is a pain to type and it's long. Using the 4 digit PIN is adequate for app updates I think. Especially since app updates are free and there is very little risk in updating an app.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus, AT&T 64GB Space Gray!!!!!!!Mac Mini (latest model), iBook G4, Mac Mini (mid 2007), iPhone, iPhone 4, ATV3, iPad 2, iPad Mini, iPad Air.
pooleman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:22 AM   #14
cynics
macrumors 604
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Some could argue the more you use a password the less secure it becomes.

Im in the same boat and wish free updates did not require my main apple id. If someone has my phone and had beaten the pin well downloading any app is going to be the least of my worries, updating apps psshh that's minor.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:35 AM   #15
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
The thing that actually annoys me more is the fact that iOS pulls you out of the app store whenever you pick an app to download. It's as if apple think people only shop one app at a time all the time. Absurd.
onthecouchagain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:43 AM   #16
b24pgg
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
I agree, it's obtrusive and incredibly annoying. The "extra security feature" argument doesn't hold much weight since Android allows automatic updating in the background without having to type your password every time and it works perfectly fine.
b24pgg is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 09:16 AM   #17
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
The "extra security feature" argument doesn't hold much weight since Android allows automatic updating in the background without having to type your password every time and it works perfectly fine.
Huh?? Where's the connection to the iPhone? Because Android has poor security that makes it right?
Givmeabrek is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 09:22 AM   #18
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
It takes 5 seconds to type the password.

I'd rather have it there than not have it.

I think "very, very obtrusive" is a bit much, no?

Relax, enjoy life, love, and have peace of mind.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
I agree, it's obtrusive and incredibly annoying. The "extra security feature" argument doesn't hold much weight since Android allows automatic updating in the background without having to type your password every time and it works perfectly fine.
I don't see much sense in your argument. That it "works perfectly fine" is completely different than a security measure.
RoboCop001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 09:43 AM   #19
MattMJB0188
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
MattMJB0188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
I for one applaud any security feature that safe guards me.
I guess it can but Appe should give us the option to ask for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
I agree, it's obtrusive and incredibly annoying. The "extra security feature" argument doesn't hold much weight since Android allows automatic updating in the background without having to type your password every time and it works perfectly fine.
If only iOS was like this that'd be great but this way isn't "safe" lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
Huh?? Where's the connection to the iPhone? Because Android has poor security that makes it right?
No fanboys allowed in my thread. Go away!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCop001 View Post
It takes 5 seconds to type the password.

I'd rather have it there than not have it.

I think "very, very obtrusive" is a bit much, no?

Relax, enjoy life, love, and have peace of mind.

----------



I don't see much sense in your argument. That it "works perfectly fine" is completely different than a security measure.
It is very obtrusive. My password is long and we SHOULD HAVE THE OPTION to turn it off. Of course options aren't possible with this company.

I'd liove to sit down with Scott Forstall and just ask why his believe iOS doesn't give me the option to tun off this annoyance.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 10:07 AM   #20
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaycee18 View Post
It's because an app update is treated like a sale, even though it's free. You could use the same argument for not needing a password to download a free app. I would much rather type my password everytime, so I know that I'm authorizing each download.
I agree.
__________________
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?
ucfgrad93 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 10:47 AM   #21
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
I can see requiring it for new apps, but it shouldn't need it for updating apps that I already have.

What really annoys me too is that there's no way to get rid of the badges for the App Store. I tried this patch from Cydia, but it didn't work for me. If anyone knows of a way to just permanently set the App Store badge to zero, please let me know. I would be fine with not knowing about updates until I plug into iTunes. I could put it on the 5th page of apps with all of the games, I'd probably almost never see it, but that's kind of a kludgy solution.
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 10:48 AM   #22
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
It's a matter of having total control. I get annoyed sometimes when I'm updating an app, but I don't just think about how annoyed I am at the moment. I think about how annoyed I'd be if something bad happened.
__________________
2013 iPad air space grey 64gb, 2012 Retina Macbook 15 (base model), iPhone 5 white 32 gig, Macbook pro 13inch (late 2011), iPhone 4s 32gb
Soulweaponry is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 10:51 AM   #23
b24pgg
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
Because Android has poor security that makes it right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCop001 View Post
That it "works perfectly fine" is completely different than a security measure.
Why does app updating require any security at all? You've already paid for the app.

Last edited by b24pgg; May 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
b24pgg is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 11:56 AM   #24
ElZeus
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
Why does app updating require any security at all? You've already paid for the app.

And FYI, Android's pattern lock has 389K combinations while Apple's PIN lock has 10K - something to consider before accusing Android of having "poor security."
Simple passcode off would like to have a word with you...
ElZeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:01 PM   #25
b24pgg
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElZeus View Post
Simple passcode off would like to have a word with you...
Fair enough...I knew Android allowed a password lock but didn't realize iOS did as well.

My first point however is still valid; app updating shouldn't have any need for added security as you've already paid for the app. Having to type it every time and consequently the lack of automatic updating is just an annoyance.
b24pgg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to re-enter password after jailbreaking ATV? Rockabill Apple TV and Home Theater 0 Apr 2, 2014 10:35 AM
MS Office update produces a different language when asked to enter OS X password Padaung Mac Applications and Mac App Store 6 Oct 15, 2013 10:13 AM
Still have to enter password to update apps Hudzilla iOS 6 8 Sep 26, 2012 07:56 AM
I still have to enter my password to download free apps... HoopTrundler iOS 6 8 Sep 22, 2012 10:25 PM
iOS 6 Beta Removes Requirement to Enter Password to Download Free Apps and Upgrades [Updated] MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 97 Jul 25, 2012 10:03 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC