Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
^^^

It's there for your protection....I'm perfectly happy to type in my password each time i download an app....Much better than getting a bill for stuff somebody else downloaded on your device.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
I don't mind typing in my password. I mean, you type it in once, you don't have to type it in again until it "times out."

However, I do mind going back to my homescreen every single time I update or download an app.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Because updating your app is a total security nightmare....:rolleyes:

Because any security feature present is welcome in my opinion and experience.

Ive been a victim of having my bank account hacked in the past and such security features meant the hacker didn't get away with nearly £2,000.

:rolleyes: back !!

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
It's because an app update is treated like a sale, even though it's free. You could use the same argument for not needing a password to download a free app. I would much rather type my password everytime, so I know that I'm authorizing each download.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I hate it. For just updating...I think we should be able to choose to bypass typing a password.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't mind typing in my password. I mean, you type it in once, you don't have to type it in again until it "times out."

However, I do mind going back to my homescreen every single time I update or download an app.

This. I find that to be the larger annoyance. IIRC my Droid would update on the same screen & I'd see the progress bars.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I hate it. For just updating...I think we should be able to choose to bypass typing a password.

Imagine you heard here on MacRumors that a certain upgrade to a certain app should be avoided. So you don't update. And your stupid little brother grabs your iPad or iPhone and updates it. Which he can because he doesn't need a password. And then he downloads a dozen free apps that you don't want.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Imagine you heard here on MacRumors that a certain upgrade to a certain app should be avoided. So you don't update.

Then do like most PC's do and give us an option to choose to auto update apps. I would. I've never had an app that I didn't do an update on.

And your stupid little brother grabs your iPad or iPhone and updates it. Which he can because he doesn't need a password. And then he downloads a dozen free apps that you don't want.

His point was that updates would be allowed but not purchases. Should be easy enough to implement too.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
There are some paid updates. So I guess it may be to prevent others from "buying" these updates for you

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I wish the app update could work with a 4 digit PIN the same as the locking feature on the phone. I'm all for passwords and security but my password is a pain to type and it's long. Using the 4 digit PIN is adequate for app updates I think. Especially since app updates are free and there is very little risk in updating an app.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Some could argue the more you use a password the less secure it becomes.

Im in the same boat and wish free updates did not require my main apple id. If someone has my phone and had beaten the pin well downloading any app is going to be the least of my worries, updating apps psshh that's minor.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The thing that actually annoys me more is the fact that iOS pulls you out of the app store whenever you pick an app to download. It's as if apple think people only shop one app at a time all the time. Absurd.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
I agree, it's obtrusive and incredibly annoying. The "extra security feature" argument doesn't hold much weight since Android allows automatic updating in the background without having to type your password every time and it works perfectly fine.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The "extra security feature" argument doesn't hold much weight since Android allows automatic updating in the background without having to type your password every time and it works perfectly fine.

Huh?? Where's the connection to the iPhone? Because Android has poor security that makes it right? :confused:

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It takes 5 seconds to type the password.

I'd rather have it there than not have it.

I think "very, very obtrusive" is a bit much, no?

Relax, enjoy life, love, and have peace of mind.

----------

I agree, it's obtrusive and incredibly annoying. The "extra security feature" argument doesn't hold much weight since Android allows automatic updating in the background without having to type your password every time and it works perfectly fine.

I don't see much sense in your argument. That it "works perfectly fine" is completely different than a security measure.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I for one applaud any security feature that safe guards me.

I guess it can but Appe should give us the option to ask for it.

If only iOS was like this that'd be great but this way isn't "safe" lol.

Huh?? Where's the connection to the iPhone? Because Android has poor security that makes it right? :confused:

No fanboys allowed in my thread. Go away!!!

It takes 5 seconds to type the password.

I'd rather have it there than not have it.

I think "very, very obtrusive" is a bit much, no?

Relax, enjoy life, love, and have peace of mind.

----------

I don't see much sense in your argument. That it "works perfectly fine" is completely different than a security measure.

It is very obtrusive. My password is long and we SHOULD HAVE THE OPTION to turn it off. Of course options aren't possible with this company.

I'd liove to sit down with Scott Forstall and just ask why his believe iOS doesn't give me the option to tun off this annoyance.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It's because an app update is treated like a sale, even though it's free. You could use the same argument for not needing a password to download a free app. I would much rather type my password everytime, so I know that I'm authorizing each download.

I agree.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I can see requiring it for new apps, but it shouldn't need it for updating apps that I already have.

What really annoys me too is that there's no way to get rid of the badges for the App Store. I tried this patch from Cydia, but it didn't work for me. If anyone knows of a way to just permanently set the App Store badge to zero, please let me know. I would be fine with not knowing about updates until I plug into iTunes. I could put it on the 5th page of apps with all of the games, I'd probably almost never see it, but that's kind of a kludgy solution.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
It's a matter of having total control. I get annoyed sometimes when I'm updating an app, but I don't just think about how annoyed I am at the moment. I think about how annoyed I'd be if something bad happened.

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Why does app updating require any security at all? You've already paid for the app.

And FYI, Android's pattern lock has 389K combinations while Apple's PIN lock has 10K - something to consider before accusing Android of having "poor security."

Simple passcode off would like to have a word with you...

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Simple passcode off would like to have a word with you...
Fair enough...I knew Android allowed a password lock but didn't realize iOS did as well.

My first point however is still valid; app updating shouldn't have any need for added security as you've already paid for the app. Having to type it every time and consequently the lack of automatic updating is just an annoyance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.