Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
So I'm looking for an external monitor for my 5DII.

I'm mostly in between an affordable lilliput that's 7" or the smallHD 5.6"

Links:

Lilliput: http://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-inte...TF8&coliid=I1BB8ACOGG0J7J&colid=323IBU7OBEVLX

SmallHD: http://www.smallhd.com/Store/5-6-HD-Field-Monitors

The price difference is pretty big ($200 vs $900) but my main question is that the lilliput states that it's 1080p, and the smallHD is only like 1280x800. How is a monitor that's 4 times cheaper have 1080p res? (It states it in the amazon product description) Could someone clear this up?

Thanks in advance!

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Specs list the resolution of the Lilliput as 800x400 (up to 1920x1080), which leads me to believe that 800x400 is the actual panel resolution although it will accept (and downconvert) video signals up to 1920x1080. With that being the case, the smallHD monitor has twice the resolution in a smaller package.

Other differences in price can be attributed to build and image quality.

However, since there is such a price difference, I would recommend trying the Lilliput out first. You're essentially looking for a monitor for framing and focusing purposes. Seems like from some of the reviews that a lot of customers are happy. If you get your hands on it and don't find that it suits your needs, then you can always return it.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Oh that makes a lot more sense now, thank you!

I think I'll probably get the lilliput within the next couple days unless smallHD releases another wave of B-stocks of that monitor (that costs $600). I'd rather get a great monitor that's future proof.

digizure

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Check out Marshall 7". I'm thinking about getting that one for my 60D the next few days.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
The SmallHD is great for DSLR.
However we didnt buy it for that.
It didnt pan out as a RED MX display.
It lasted long enough till our RED BOMB and display arrived :)
There was some minor issues with power but they we're great at quick replacement.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
It didnt pan out as a RED MX display.

Well that's a whole other price range, not what I'm looking for as of now.

Check out Marshall 7". I'm thinking about getting that one for my 60D the next few days.

I think for the price marshall monitors aren't that great. I wouldn't want to view my 1920x1080 video on a 800x480 screen. I guess it's good specifically for focus pulling but I also want to see details on the screen rather then have to wait for them to be uploaded to a computer or played back on a big screen.

They cost $500, but a Stock-B smallHD is $600.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Well that's a whole other price range, not what I'm looking for as of now.
Sorry to sound negative, meant that it didnt work out for what we needed it for. It took a few hacks at getting it to work via HDMI.
We had to test 6 different (brands and length) cables to get it right.
Worked great on a few shoots but got borrowed for a DSLR project and never bothered to reclaim :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.