Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 2, 2012, 01:03 PM   #1
marty1990
macrumors 6502

iTunes Preamp and EQ

Just a couple of questions regarding the sound quality through iTunes. I found somewhere online that through iTunes if you higher the preamp setting through the EQ it highers the volume overall for music on iTunes. I tried it, and it sure worked, but am wondering if I should do it? I don't wanna blow my speakers, so at the moment, I've set it back the default 'middle'.

Also, I read that this;

http://haggis.tumblr.com/post/874477...ting-ive-found

... supposedly the best EQ setting for iTunes? Is it? Most places I've looked seem to follow that pattern. Is it?
marty1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Kenndac
macrumors regular

There's no such thing as a universal "perfect" EQ setting, since it depends on the speakers you're using. My speakers have great bass response, so I wouldn't want to up the bass in an EQ, where another set of speakers with poorer bass response will gain more benefit.

The same applies across the whole spectrum.
Kenndac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:24 AM   #3
marty1990
macrumors 6502

I generally use my built in speakers or a small portable speakers with my MacBook Pro.

I just tried the setting they gave with my speakers, and it sounded louder, but kind of.. I dunno... harsh on the ears. I've set it to iTunes default 'rock' setting and it sounds good.

What's the default iTunes setting, 'flat'?

And the preamp setting, should I leave it at the default position, or can I higher it to add a boost to the volume? Or could that mess up my speakers?

Thanks.
marty1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 12:53 PM   #4
tug
macrumors 6502

it cant hurt your speakers, although depending how much gain youve got below 1k you could get distortion. but dont worry 'bout hurting them they will be fine.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store