Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
So Mountain Lion may not work for the Mac Pro 1.1, but how about updates such as Safari, flash, and other big important programs? Will they still be supported for the Mac Pro 1.1 for the coming years?

Just trying to see if the G5 change that happened years ago would happen again: i.e no more support for PowerPC software, no more safari, etc.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Probably not. Eventually my 2004 PowerBook rev D would not take to the newest flash install.

nycaleksey

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
So Mountain Lion may not work for the Mac Pro 1.1, but how about updates such as Safari, flash, and other big important programs? Will they still be supported for the Mac Pro 1.1 for the coming years?

Just trying to see if the G5 change that happened years ago would happen again: i.e no more support for PowerPC software, no more safari, etc.

The change from PowerPC to Intel architecture was fundamental, the changes between various subsequent Mac Pro models are far less substantial.
That being said, we will see apps not being supported by MP1,1 some day due to Mountain Lion not being supported. So once ML-only apps will start being released, those will not be compatible with 2006/2007 MPs.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I am inclined to say that Apple will be the first to start releasing their own Applications/Services that will require Mountain Lion for compatibility.

You can be assured that all 2012 3rd party applications, such as the Adobe CS6 suite are all compatible with the 2006 Mac Pro or the 32-bit EFI Intel Macs. Probably even CS7 will still be compatible will the 2006 Mac Pro as well.

iCloud requires at least Lion for compatibility, and the 2006 Mac Pro can run Lion, so it is fine. Newer Mountain Lion-specific services like Gatekeeper will be incompatible with Lion, etc probably. I am guessing that at some point, Apple programs like iPhoto, iMovie, and the like will only be developer for Mountain Lion and beyond, but you can be assured that Apple will be developing iTunes for Lion for awhile, as they had supported iTunes for PowerPC up until recently, and PowerPC was phased-out in 2006.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.