Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roanmartigan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
This wait is excruciating ! I do not really need a new computer, but I would really like to upgrade my 2006 iMac to get a bigger screen and a zippier machine.

Why is Apple taking so long to even announce anything ... :mad:

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
This wait is excruciating ! I do not really need a new computer, but I would really like to upgrade my 2006 iMac to get a bigger screen and a zippier machine.

It's a new form of torture, called iTorture!

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002

I know your pain. I felt the same way in the Spring of 2011 :p

Let me just tell you though, the wait WILL be worth it.

Just hold on a little longer.

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
Since December that I'm waiting. Now, everyday, I have to force myself to convince myself to not order a 2011 iMac. It's a tough war.

thomasfrdavis

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
same feeling here..

my deadline is 15th due to Diablo 3. I'll get the 2011 if there's no news of the upcoming iMac.

now lets hope its within 2 weeks.. please apple, please....

ThisIsMe

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Amsterdam
Just buy and enjoy your new machine. Waiting for new and the latest is a fools game. Just buy it and it's a done deal.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
Just buy and enjoy your new machine. Waiting for new and the latest is a fools game. Just buy it and it's a done deal.

Considering how close the refresh is even if it's delayed all the way to WWDC, this has got to be the worst advice anyone ever posted here. Anyone who is still waiting at this point might as well wait the whole rest of the way to the refresh.

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
To me, it seems foolish to buy something as soon as the thought flits through someone's head.

There is such a thing as deferred satisfaction. Sometimes, making your current situation and tools stretch a little farther than is comfortable is the right decision.

Either way, it's certainly not foolish to postpone dropping 2G on a mostly luxury item (I know, you NEED it :))

The longer I wait to buy an iMac, the lower my current computer's cost becomes amortized over its used lifetime.

How is that foolish?

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Gotta love those first world problems. Must... S... Spend...Thousands... O... Of dollars...

;)

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
You may lose ODD on the refreshed model (personally don't believe this to be the case) and given the new processor is not likely to upgrade the 2011 speed too much on the desk tops (and may in fact disproportionately increase heat), why would you wait? Particularly as seemingly you are someone that runs their machines to the ground with your previous machine lasting you 6 years?

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Anyone who is still waiting at this point might as well wait the whole rest of the way to the refresh.

For sure, I can't believe anyone is actually planning on buying a 2011 model now. Even the generally accepted worst case scenario of June is now only a few weeks away. The number of people that absolutely, positively have to have a new machine now must be tiny. I wonder what percentage of purchasers have no idea how old the current model is and how close we are to the refresh. I guess in-store no reference is made to this and of course I wouldn't expect there to be.

This is going to be my first Apple desktop purchase and like many others I suspect, I'm now a daily visitor to this forum scouring the posts for any new clues about a release date. It's not important in the grand scheme of things and I'm certainly not taking it too seriously, but it's fun to be part of the community.

One quick question, will the release of new hardware work in a similar way to that of the iPhone and iPad, i.e. a staggered release or does the much smaller volume mean that they'll be available everywhere from day one?

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Can't take it anymore !

So how do you like your new iMac?

I mean if you really cannot take waiting anymore, you broke down and bought a new one .... right? :D

Anyone who is still waiting at this point might as well wait the whole rest of the way to the refresh.

Well if they wait that long, they might as well wait a little longer and get the next model after the next refresh because if the do not wait more, the refresh they do buy will become old and outdated when the next update is released! :D

tikitommy

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
So how do you like your new iMac?

I mean if you really cannot take waiting anymore, you broke down and bought a new one .... right? :D

Well if they wait that long, they might as well wait a little longer and get the next model after the next refresh because if the do not wait more, the refresh they do buy will become old and outdated when the next update is released! :D

Tech will always become outdated but there's a difference between knowing that the new version is under a month away versus i cant but i now cause a new one will come out in a year.

ThisIsMe

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Amsterdam
considering how close the refresh is even if it's delayed all the way to wwdc, this has got to be the worst advice anyone ever posted here. Anyone who is still waiting at this point might as well wait the whole rest of the way to the refresh.

lmfao hahaha!!!!!!:):):):):):):)

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/eurocom-racer-2-with-ivy-bridge/

Ivy Bridge and 7970M.

If a small-ish manufacturer like Eurocom has chips available, Apple almost certainly will too. Perhaps the cause of the delay is not part availability after all, but something else. Still in development?

Or perhaps no refresh is planned this year?

Hurry up Apple.

Parts are there, the only thing stopping Apple is the current model stock of iMac. It needs to dwindle the numbers to a point that is cost effective for a new model release. Soon, very soon.

With the dwindling of current stock before new model release in mind I actively encourage everyone of you to buy the current model ;)

Murtagh

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/eurocom-racer-2-with-ivy-bridge/

Ivy Bridge and 7970M.

If a small-ish manufacturer like Eurocom has chips available, Apple almost certainly will too. Perhaps the cause of the delay is not part availability after all, but something else. Still in development?

Or perhaps no refresh is planned this year?

Hurry up Apple.

Alienware and Eurocom are both offering the 7970M.
Note: Alienware won't offer the 7970m in crossfire (meaning two 7970m's) until the 10th for some reason?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

You've waited 6 years, few more weeks / months won't make adifference.

I upgrade on a 3 year cycle.

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Note: Alienware won't offer the 7970m in crossfire (meaning two 7970m's) until the 10th for some reason?

That's probably indicative of a supply restriction. They can stretch a limited number of chips further by selling only single-processor machines.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

Agreed.

If I had waited for the "refresh any time now" for my MBP, I would still not have a laptop. And I think it might even be until October for the iMac refresh because that's when they refreshed it for the i3/i5 CPU. So if there is any refresh that includes a serious upgrade in hardware, I would expect that the refresh wouldn't happen for a while and I also think that Apple wants to release OS X 10.8 with at least one refreshed Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.