Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old May 2, 2012, 11:04 PM   #1
ceet12
macrumors newbie

New mbp, Changing hd- help installing lion (from preinstall)

Hello all

i have just recently bought a mbp, with lion pre-insstalled
im still finding it a bit difficult to use coming from windows, but the help from the tutoprials on this site is a godsend

basically ive read a couple of posts regarding this and a few of the replies, but am a bit miffed

Im am going to buy an ssd hard drive, and i am going to change it to the boot drive of my mbp

i want to make a fresh install of lion to the new ssd, however as apple dont provide backup media, it has been a bit difficult

am i correct in saying if i hold alt and r down at boot it should take me to the recovery console? but how can it take me to the recovery console on the new drive?, as there will be no recovery partition on it as its a new drive?

is the recovery section part of a bios so its always available when changing to any hd at any time? and in theory the internet recovery takes over>?

im a bit stuck to be honest

ive read about creating a usb recovery assistant to make a usb disk, and could start with that, im not sure?

also how would it be possible to also create the recovery partition on the new hard drive, so the new drive also has the recovery partition?

any help would greatly be appreciated

Regards
ceet12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Ccrew
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceet12 View Post

am i correct in saying if i hold alt and r down at boot it should take me to the recovery console? but how can it take me to the recovery console on the new drive?, as there will be no recovery partition on it as its a new drive?

is the recovery section part of a bios so its always available when changing to any hd at any time? and in theory the internet recovery takes over>?
Mac;s don't have BIOS, they use EFI, and yes, that functionality is there on a newer Mac so that booting to internet recovery will function just fine.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 01:20 AM   #3
ceet12
macrumors newbie

thanks ccrew

but when i change the hard drive, does the internet recovery automatically make a recovery partition on the new installed drive?

any help appreciated

regards
ceet12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion