Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3, 2012, 01:22 AM   #1
NZed
macrumors 65816
 
NZed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada, Eh?
Is Canon EOS 7D still a good buy?

Well, I think its time. I've been with the 450D since it first released. Full of opportunity back then. Now, its just full of limits for me. Its been almost 5 years with this camera and i think its time.

From you photographers out there, I'm kinda on low budget and have been eying the 7D for a while. Is it still a good buy?

THanks!
__________________
Marty: Wait a minute, Doc. Are you telling me that you built a time machine, out of a DeLorean?
NZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 05:28 AM   #2
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
I've had mine for a couple of years now. It's an amazingly capable camera. So much so I don't think I'll be upgrading when the MkII comes out...
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 05:48 AM   #3
skuid87
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
The obvious questions is how will you be using it? My primary need focused around capturing HD Video. So I went for the EOS 60D. I was tempted by the 7D's weatherproofing, but ultimately decided that the manual audio adjustments and tilt/swivel screen of the 60D were more important.

Does your budget strech as far as to consider a 5D mkII? Since the mkIII came out, a whole bunch of them have hit the second hand market. It's worth a look...
__________________
27" iMac 2.8Ghz i7 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1TB HDD | OSX Lion
13" MacBook Air 1.8Ghz i5 | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | OSX Lion
iPad3 32GB
iPhone 4 32GB
skuid87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 05:54 AM   #4
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuid87 View Post
Does your budget strech as far as to consider a 5D mkII? Since the mkIII came out, a whole bunch of them have hit the second hand market. It's worth a look...
Whilst this is good advice you also potentially have to factor in new lenses. NZed has a 450D right now. S/he (sorry: don't know which) may have some EF-s lenses. Replacing these could be very expensive. For example if they needed a new standard zoom how much is a 24-70 L?
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 05:55 AM   #5
mulo
macrumors 68020
 
mulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Behind you
Send a message via MSN to mulo
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuid87 View Post
Does your budget strech as far as to consider a 5D mkII? Since the mkIII came out, a whole bunch of them have hit the second hand market. It's worth a look...
5D mkII is pretty outgunned by the 7D though..
also rumor has it the 7D wil see a software update soon rather then a refresh.

I bought my 7D two months ago, and I cannot see what more I could want, even when looking at the 1D X, except for faster FPS and larger buffer.
__________________
iPhone 5 Black 64GB.
17" MBP 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM.
Canon 7D + grip, 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM.

Last edited by mulo; May 13, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
mulo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 08:25 AM   #6
sapporobaby
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 3 earth minutes from your location....
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuid87 View Post
The obvious questions is how will you be using it? My primary need focused around capturing HD Video. So I went for the EOS 60D. I was tempted by the 7D's weatherproofing, but ultimately decided that the manual audio adjustments and tilt/swivel screen of the 60D were more important.

Does your budget strech as far as to consider a 5D mkII? Since the mkIII came out, a whole bunch of them have hit the second hand market. It's worth a look...
Pretty solid advice. I am primarily a street scene/sports shooter so I went with the Nikon D4. I have incredible low light capabilities with very little noise. The camera suits the way I shoot, however I like to shoot landscapes and panoramas from time to time so I am considering picking up a Nikon D800 for these needs. In short, fit the camera to your needs and work from there. There are other considerations such as lenses, accessories but these are secondary.
sapporobaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020
 
Kebabselector's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulo View Post
5D mkII is pretty outgunned by the 7D though...
Probably only in the AF department to be honest. Other than that I think the 5D MkII wins.
__________________
Mac Mini 1.66Ghz/2gb - 2.3/i5/8gb - MacBook 2.0Ghz/2gb
iPhone 6 64gb - iPad Mini Retina 16gb wifi
Others: Canon Eos Stuff - Passat B6 - Smeg - Firewire devices - Prefers Matte
Kebabselector is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 08:48 AM   #8
sapporobaby
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 3 earth minutes from your location....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebabselector View Post
Probably only in the AF department to be honest. Other than that I think the 5D MkII wins.
I'm not a Canon guy and have known this for quite a while.
sapporobaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 08:51 AM   #9
mulo
macrumors 68020
 
mulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Behind you
Send a message via MSN to mulo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebabselector View Post
Probably only in the AF department to be honest. Other than that I think the 5D MkII wins.
wins in terms of image quality, other then that I think the 7D wins.
__________________
iPhone 5 Black 64GB.
17" MBP 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM.
Canon 7D + grip, 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM.
mulo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 08:54 AM   #10
WRP
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulo View Post
5D mkII is pretty outgunned by the 7D though..
also rumor has it the 7D wil see a software update soon rather then a refresh.
Come on dude... he gave it a CR1. Which means "plausible". I wouldn't plan my purchasing on something based on a CR1. And it was ONE rumor from ONE person.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebabselector View Post
Probably only in the AF department to be honest. Other than that I think the 5D MkII wins.
Me too. But I'll lump in burst rate as well. I'm getting a new 5d2 now that the 3 is out. I will still keep my 7D for when I need the reach or shooting sports, but the 5d2 will be my go to for everything else. And I don't use all the crazy AF stuff. Center point for me all the time.
WRP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 08:54 AM   #11
sapporobaby
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 3 earth minutes from your location....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulo View Post
wins in terms of image quality, other then that I think the 7D wins.
The 5D II had/has a terrible AF problem. It has been well documented. This is why many Canon shooters are happy to see the 5D III or are making the jump to the Nikon D800. What good is IQ (Image Quality) if it isn't in focus, and IQ is very, very, very much dependent on the lens involved rather than the camera so much. I think you got your facts wrong here.
sapporobaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:01 AM   #12
mulo
macrumors 68020
 
mulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Behind you
Send a message via MSN to mulo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
The 5D II had/has a terrible AF problem. It has been well documented. This is why many Canon shooters are happy to see the 5D III or are making the jump to the Nikon D800. What good is IQ (Image Quality) if it isn't in focus, and IQ is very, very, very much dependent on the lens involved rather than the camera so much. I think you got your facts wrong here.
fact: the 5D mk II resolves more detail and dynamic range given the same lens and perspective compared to the 7D
fact: the 7D has more AF points.
fact: the 7D shoots more then twice as many frames every second
fact: the 7D has a more zones in its metering system (presumably leading to more accurate exposure)
fact: the 7D has a more accurate viewfinder
fact: the 7D accepts more lenses then the 5D
subject to discussion: the 7D has greater weather sealing
subject to discussion: the 7D has greater ergonomics and handling
subject to discussion: the 7D has more accurate exposure
subject to discussion: the 7D has more accurate AF
__________________
iPhone 5 Black 64GB.
17" MBP 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM.
Canon 7D + grip, 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM.

Last edited by mulo; May 3, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
mulo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:08 AM   #13
sapporobaby
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 3 earth minutes from your location....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulo View Post
fact: the 5D mk II resolves more detail and dynamic range given the same lens and perspective compared to the 7D
fact: the 7D has more AF points.
fact: the 7D shoots more then twice as many frames every second
subject to discussion: the 7D has greater weather sealing
subject to discussion: the 7D has greater ergonomics and handling
Uhhhhh.... Your point being? I think I agreed that the 7D is better than the 5D in many categories. You seem to be mixing apples and oranges. Fact, the 5D's AF is abysmal compared to other cameras in its class. Fact, the 5D is the camera that many to most DSLR videographers turned to (well until now that the D4/D800 have arrived. Time will tell). IQ is still much more a function of lens build and quality than camera bodies.
sapporobaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:42 AM   #14
NZed
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
NZed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada, Eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuid87 View Post
The obvious questions is how will you be using it? My primary need focused around capturing HD Video. So I went for the EOS 60D. I was tempted by the 7D's weatherproofing, but ultimately decided that the manual audio adjustments and tilt/swivel screen of the 60D were more important.

Does your budget strech as far as to consider a 5D mkII? Since the mkIII came out, a whole bunch of them have hit the second hand market. It's worth a look...
I dont need the full frame factor. Although i like my picture sharp and crisp, I'm not gonna blow my pictures up 100 times that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
Whilst this is good advice you also potentially have to factor in new lenses. NZed has a 450D right now. S/he (sorry: don't know which) may have some EF-s lenses. Replacing these could be very expensive. For example if they needed a new standard zoom how much is a 24-70 L?
Yea and lens is another problem.

I've been borrowing the 70-200 and 24-70 from my friend for months now(he rarely use his camera nowadays). The lens is more expensive than my current camera.

Anyways guys, i'll probably wait another month then buy it. I've made the decision. Thanks guys!
__________________
Marty: Wait a minute, Doc. Are you telling me that you built a time machine, out of a DeLorean?

Last edited by NZed; May 3, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
NZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:48 AM   #15
sapporobaby
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 3 earth minutes from your location....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZed View Post
I dont need the full frame factor. Although i like my picture sharp and crisp, I'm not gonna blow my pictures up 100 times that.



Yea and lens is another problem. The 5D mk2 is almost 2000 dollars more expensive. I can get a L lens around that price.

I've been borrowing the 70-200 and 24-70 from my friend for months now(he rarely use his camera nowadays). The lens is more expensive than my current camera.
Have you ever shot at full frame? I can't name one photographer that has shot at FX who decided to go back to DX. Welcome to being the first. It has nothing to do with blowing up a photo but to include a larger area of focus but whatever.

As far as price, you pay for what you get, and here's a big hint. Lenses usually cost a bit more than bodies because good glass can last for years and years while bodies come and go. My Nikon D4 has about 2 years in it and I will move on to something else but my 25k+ worth of lenses will last many more years to come.

You have a very nice friend or he is a bit clueless to what he has in terms of lenses.
sapporobaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:50 AM   #16
NZed
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
NZed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada, Eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
Have you ever shot at full frame? I can't name one photographer that has shot at FX who decided to go back to DX. Welcome to being the first. It has nothing to do with blowing up a photo but to include a larger area of focus but whatever.

As far as price, you pay for what you get, and here's a big hint. Lenses usually cost a bit more than bodies because good glass can last for years and years while bodies come and go. My Nikon D4 has about 2 years in it and I will move on to something else but my 25k+ worth of lenses will last many more years to come.

You have a very nice friend or he is a bit clueless to what he has in terms of lenses.
I understand what youre saying and although i do like FX, i have no use for it. Yes I want it, but I dont need it. As a photographer, i have certain limits(money). Being stuck with the 450D for a while, I'm sure that 7D is what i need, not the 5D. Mainly, the price is the factor here. Yes i would like the 5D more, but can i afford it is another story.
__________________
Marty: Wait a minute, Doc. Are you telling me that you built a time machine, out of a DeLorean?
NZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:53 AM   #17
sapporobaby
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 3 earth minutes from your location....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZed View Post
I understand what youre saying and although i do like FX, i have no use for it. Yes I want it, but I dont need it. As a photographer, i have certain limits(money). Being stuck with the 450D for a while, I'm sure that 7D is what i need, not the 5D. Mainly, the price is the factor here. Yes i would like the 5D more, but can i afford it is another story.
I feel you pain mate. Love your "eh" in your signature by the way. Funny. Reminds of my Canadian friends. What you might want to do is to pick up a good used 5DII or even 7D now that the 5DIII is out and the 1DX is coming in a few weeks (months considering they are late by months still). I can't with to see how the 1DX stacks up against my D4. Should be interesting.
sapporobaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 04:51 PM   #18
Phrasikleia
macrumors 68040
 
Phrasikleia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Over there------->
All I can say is that I'm having a heck of time parting with mine. I keep listing it for sale and then pulling the ad. My main reasons for keeping it have now been obviated by my purchase of a 5D Mark III, but letting go of the 7D is proving to be difficult for me. Selling my 5D Mark II was a lot easier, probably because it was getting a replacement. The 7D has been such a champ, and it has been nice having the extra "reach" it provides when situations call for it. It feels every bit as up-to-date as the 5D3, and I remain impressed by its image quality.

So yes, I think the 7D is still a very good buy...and a very good camera to keep around if you already have one...unless you can talk yourself into selling it because you know you could use the money for something else...sooo hard to decide...
Phrasikleia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 06:22 PM   #19
fitshaced
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasikleia View Post
All I can say is that I'm having a heck of time parting with mine. I keep listing it for sale and then pulling the ad. My main reasons for keeping it have now been obviated by my purchase of a 5D Mark III, but letting go of the 7D is proving to be difficult for me. Selling my 5D Mark II was a lot easier, probably because it was getting a replacement. The 7D has been such a champ, and it has been nice having the extra "reach" it provides when situations call for it. It feels every bit as up-to-date as the 5D3, and I remain impressed by its image quality.

So yes, I think the 7D is still a very good buy...and a very good camera to keep around if you already have one...unless you can talk yourself into selling it because you know you could use the money for something else...sooo hard to decide...
I feel the same and will be keeping my 7D. Sure, the difference low light performance is staggering between the 7D and 5D MK III. But, like you say, the 7D gives you that 'reach'.

I'm unlikely to need the extra 2 frames per second on high burst but for those who don't have even 6fps on their current camera, this is a great feature.

Plus, having a good backup camera is never a bad thing. Them both having very similar controls and ergonomics is very pleasant.
__________________
Lots of stuff.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsbykev/
fitshaced is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 01:33 AM   #20
Mac In School
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I upgraded from the 450D to the 7D a few years ago, and it's been fantastic.

I've since upgraded to the 5DMIII and the jump is just as good. I still love my 7D enough, however, that I kept it. It's a great camera.
Mac In School is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 02:57 AM   #21
flosseR
macrumors 6502a
 
flosseR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: the cold dark north
Send a message via MSN to flosseR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
Have you ever shot at full frame? I can't name one photographer that has shot at FX who decided to go back to DX. Welcome to being the first. It has nothing to do with blowing up a photo but to include a larger area of focus but whatever.
yea you do.. me!
But then i went back to FF..

To the OP. good choice, I think the 7D will serve you very well and its a damn good upgrade from the 450D... you will be blown away...
__________________
Nikon D-750 , 35mm f1.4, 85 f1.8,70-200 VR, 2 Yongnuo 560s, DL380 with 16TB iSCSI NAS, 100mbit fiber to my house UNCAPPED!
flosseR is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 03:04 AM   #22
sapporobaby
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 3 earth minutes from your location....
Quote:
Originally Posted by flosseR View Post
yea you do.. me!
But then i went back to FF..

To the OP. good choice, I think the 7D will serve you very well and its a damn good upgrade from the 450D... you will be blown away...
Yeah but you're special....
sapporobaby is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 07:42 PM   #23
looneyflyer
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
So many good comments already. I've also recently bought a 5DIII but there's no way I'm letting go of my 7D. I used it over the weekend to shoot a kitesurfing competition and got some fantastic shots from it with the extra reach.

To the O.P. I would just get yourself a 7D and start enjoying it!
looneyflyer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 02:48 AM   #24
Nostromo
macrumors 65816
 
Nostromo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZed View Post
Well, I think its time. I've been with the 450D since it first released. Full of opportunity back then. Now, its just full of limits for me. Its been almost 5 years with this camera and i think its time.

From you photographers out there, I'm kinda on low budget and have been eying the 7D for a while. Is it still a good buy?

THanks!
There is canonrumors.com. They have a rumor the release of the 7D mark ii might be around the corner.

Generally, if you'd get a 5D markii (the mark iii is much more expensive) you'd get a sensor twice the size. The "outdatedness" of the autofocus is overplayed. People even do birding with that camera, and I get no more than one out of focus image per 500 frames.

If you're a journalist or someone who doesn't care a lot larger sensor, the 7D might be a good choice for its speediness, but at this time I wouldn't pay full price. (It's like buying a Mac Pro now)
Nostromo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 09:22 AM   #25
-hh
macrumors 68020
 
-hh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NJ Highlands, Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
There is canonrumors.com. They have a rumor the release of the 7D mark ii might be around the corner.
If one's definition of "around the corner" is sometime after September (6+ months from now).


Quote:
Generally, if you'd get a 5D markii (the mark iii is much more expensive) you'd get a sensor twice the size. The "outdatedness" of the autofocus is overplayed. People even do birding with that camera, and I get no more than one out of focus image per 500 frames.
The 5DMk3 wasn't developed for no reason. The problem with the 5Dmk2's AF system was that it was utterly unchanged from the 5D .. and it (the original 5D) wasn't really cutting edge back then, either, since it was borrowed from the Canon 20D (2004 intro). So sure, while people *can* do XYZ with it, the simple reality is that the 5D & 5Dmk2 series weren't competitive with its contemporaries.

...and given that I've had two 20D bodies (essentially the same AF system as in the 5D & 5Dmk2) and lots of out-of-focus bird shots, I'm a bit cynical about a success rate of 499/500 ... perhaps it is because I also try to capture photos of birds in flight? Yes, raptors are relatively straightforward in comparison to kingfishers, rollers and bee eaters (typically a more cluttered background for these latter), so it will also depend on how you shoot.

In looking at tech specs:

2004
Canon 20D: 9-point TTL

2005
Canon 5D: 9-point TTL .
... plus 6 "Invisible Assist AF points"

2009
Canon 5Dmk2: 9-point TTL
... plus 6 "Invisible Assist AF points"
... and Centre point cross type F5.6 or faster
...and Center point additionally sensitive with lenses of F2.8 or faster

Which are all pretty much the same core tech.

2010
Canon 7D: 19 cross-type AF points (f/2.8 at centre)
...with Center point additionally sensitive with lenses of F2.8 or faster

2012
Canon 5Dmk3: 61-points...etc


FWIW, I looked at the 5Dmk2 in great detail when it came out, to decide if it was the right camera for me to invest a bigger chunk of change in putting it into an underwater housing. The lack of improvements to its AF system was pretty much the key factor in my deciding to pass on it; I ended up building the UW system around the 7D.


Quote:
If you're a journalist or someone who doesn't care a lot larger sensor, the 7D might be a good choice for its speediness, but at this time I wouldn't pay full price. (It's like buying a Mac Pro now)
Within reason, we always want a bigger/better sensor, since that's what is what gives is image quality. But there are trades such as its cost. If I were shooting static landscapes on fair weather days, I would have been content with a 5D or a 5Dmk2 ... but that wasn't my only interest. Until the 5Dmk3 shipped, the 7D was the superior AF Canon short of the 1D series ... and even now after the 5Dmk3 has shipped, one of the desirements for the 7D remains its extra reach from being a crop sensor.

Insfoar as price, of course it would be nice if it were cheaper today than in 2010...and at $1550 from a reputable retailer, it is indeed discounted some. Based on the 5D, I'd expect the 7D to have a three year product refresh cycle, which means that a notional 7Dmk2 is probably still a year off.



-hh

Last edited by -hh; May 22, 2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: early "submit" button press.
-hh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon EOS Rebel T4i vs. Canon Mark 5D dvoros Digital Photography 26 Feb 21, 2014 11:16 AM
Canon EOS Txi DSLR --- which one? NeverhadaPC Digital Photography 22 Sep 12, 2013 09:50 AM
Canon EOS utility closes cableguy619 Mac Basics and Help 2 Sep 20, 2012 10:22 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC