Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Since I've had my ATVs -- one is jail broken, one isn't -- i havent experienced any power failures. but last night there was a storm and the power went out twice. both units are connected to good surge protectors and were in sleep mode. but this morning with the power back on, each ATV had been bumped out of sleep mode -- the front light was on -- and on the apple menu netflix had disappeared completely on both. I did a reset and netflix reappeared. to make a loooong story short, is there any way to actually protect the ATV from electrical surges or power outtages because they are ALWAYS actually on unless you pull the plug?

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
Seconded

Buying a better surge protector is your best option. The problem is of course not isolated to just your ATV - any of your home electronics are succeptible to a spike. You can also look for a product that combines surge protection with UPS capabilities, giving your the option to safely power down your equipment.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
you need a better surge protector, those thing usually need to be change every 12 month (nobody really do, but they are only rated for that, most of them).

If you want to keep power, you are going to need a UPS (overkill IMO for an ATV).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.