Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old May 4, 2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Morod
macrumors 65816

iCloud and Snow Leopard (again)

Will this work?
If I were to buy a refurb iPod Touch with the latest iOS, this would give me access to iCloud, correct?
And with access to iCloud, I could keep my iMac on SL and be able to access iCloud from it, correct?
I don't need any of the syncing, which iCloud seems to mostly do. I only want iCloud to keep my mac.com email address.
So, will this work?
Thanks!
Morod
Old May 4, 2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Bruce59
macrumors newbie

iCloud mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morod View Post
Will this work?
If I were to buy a refurb iPod Touch with the latest iOS, this would give me access to iCloud, correct?
And with access to iCloud, I could keep my iMac on SL and be able to access iCloud from it, correct?
I don't need any of the syncing, which iCloud seems to mostly do. I only want iCloud to keep my mac.com email address.
So, will this work?
Thanks!
Morod
This idea has not yet worked for me. I have an iPod touch IoS5 and through it migrated to iCloud. My SL iMac coped for a bit, haltingly, but now insists that I have put in a wrong password for the mail prog. I have attempted the solutions that have been offered elsewhere here without success. I do not think the system likes me using my current email address to try and create what it thinks is a new one. I think we need a patient member, used to dealing with the less endowed, to give us a step by step process for achieving what others seem to have managed.

I may say I am only keeping SL so I can run Quicken 2007. I know all the arguments on that, but I am too old to change.

B
Bruce59 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:41 AM   #3
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce59 View Post
I may say I am only keeping SL so I can run Quicken 2007. I know all the arguments on that, but I am too old to change.

B
Did you hear that they updated Quicken 2007 so it works on Lion?
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:25 AM   #4
Morod
macrumors 65816

Update

Apple sent me an email, saying I could upgrade MM to iCloud. I did, and now I can access iCloud email with Snow Leopard. Yippee!
iCal and Address Book don't sync with iCloud but I never use that feature so it doesn't bother me.
Mail app in SL works fine with iCloud.
I really hope this will continue after June 30th.
ON EDIT:
Apple did not send me an email as stated above. I went to System Preferences>MobileMe, and under the Account tab was a new note saying I could transfer my mail to iCloud. I clicked on the corresponding button and here I am, running SL 10.6.8 with iCloud email.

Last edited by Morod; May 5, 2012 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Added info
Morod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 03:40 AM   #5
Bruce59
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
Did you hear that they updated Quicken 2007 so it works on Lion?
Yes, I did, for $15. But what happens when Mountain Lion comes along?

Bruce
Old May 5, 2012, 11:21 AM   #6
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce59 View Post
Yes, I did, for $15. But what happens when Mountain Lion comes along?

Bruce
The update that Intuit provided was primarily to remove the dependency on Rosetta - somebody will test it out before then like they do with all apps. My guess is that it will work though.

In general though, if you are worried about an app not getting updated, you should move away from said app or adapt to another solution. Holding yourself back to progress for one app is not something that I advise outside of extreme examples.

Right now Quicken is 100% supported on Lion. We cannot be absolutely sure about any support on anything with ML right now until the OS is officially released. Nobody that I know has tested it yet so we have to wait.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 04:47 AM   #7
Bruce59
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
The update that Intuit provided was primarily to remove the dependency on Rosetta - somebody will test it out before then like they do with all apps. My guess is that it will work though.

In general though, if you are worried about an app not getting updated, you should move away from said app or adapt to another solution. Holding yourself back to progress for one app is not something that I advise outside of extreme examples.

Right now Quicken is 100% supported on Lion. We cannot be absolutely sure about any support on anything with ML right now until the OS is officially released. Nobody that I know has tested it yet so we have to wait.
You are quite right, of course; this is what I should do.

However, I have now made the mail prog work with iCloud. Dunno how. I did what didn't seem to do it before, but now it has.

Bruce

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services