Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 4, 2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Junkdumpster
macrumors newbie

Should I even bother keeping my Apple TV?

I bough an Apple TV 2 off of Craigslist not to long ago, primarily for the use of AirPlay Mirroring from my iPhone and iPad, and so I could finally watch my iTunes videos easily on my TV without having to first strip them of DRM and convert them, as well as all the wonderful features of jailbreaking. I also wanted a small device I could easily carry between TV's in my house.

From this point on, everything went downhill for my Apple TV. My lovely seller had decided to upgrade, meaning that I now only have a tethered jailbreak availible. So now the convinient lightweight little box requires me to bring my laptop along with me to do a tethered reboot whenever I switch TV's.

Secondly, I realized that I had poorly researched the topic and wasn't aware that the iPad 1 can not take advantage of airPlay mirroring. So while my iPhone 4S will mirror wih no problems, my iPad cannot, which is the device I really wanted for mirroring. I instead downloaded Cydia apps to my iPad, hooked up a Bluetooh mouse and video mirror through component cables.

Finally, I very recently discovered just how easy it is to use VGA to VGA cables to run Media Centers and similar video services (i.e: iTunes) to my TV. There went my last reason for the Apple TV.

If anyone can give me a solid reason why I shouldn't just hock this thig on Craigslist, please tell me so. I know sixty bucks isn't much, but this thing is just collecting dust.
Junkdumpster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 12:43 PM   #2
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkdumpster View Post
I bough an Apple TV 2 off of Craigslist not to long ago, primarily for the use of AirPlay Mirroring from my iPhone and iPad, and so I could finally watch my iTunes videos easily on my TV without having to first strip them of DRM and convert them, as well as all the wonderful features of jailbreaking. I also wanted a small device I could easily carry between TV's in my house.

From this point on, everything went downhill for my Apple TV. My lovely seller had decided to upgrade, meaning that I now only have a tethered jailbreak availible. So now the convinient lightweight little box requires me to bring my laptop along with me to do a tethered reboot whenever I switch TV's.

Secondly, I realized that I had poorly researched the topic and wasn't aware that the iPad 1 can not take advantage of airPlay mirroring. So while my iPhone 4S will mirror wih no problems, my iPad cannot, which is the device I really wanted for mirroring. I instead downloaded Cydia apps to my iPad, hooked up a Bluetooh mouse and video mirror through component cables.

Finally, I very recently discovered just how easy it is to use VGA to VGA cables to run Media Centers and similar video services (i.e: iTunes) to my TV. There went my last reason for the Apple TV.

If anyone can give me a solid reason why I shouldn't just hock this thig on Craigslist, please tell me so. I know sixty bucks isn't much, but this thing is just collecting dust.
Keep the ATV connected to one of the TVs and use the VGA cable solution for the second TV?
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Indohottie
macrumors 6502

do you need it jailbroken? Why not just revert to normal and use it that way.. if you are airplaying it should work fine..
Indohottie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 11:03 PM   #4
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

Right now Apple TV 2 sells for a premium because there is no JB for ATV 3. FYI.

Plug it into an UPS power back up... and move the ATV between the two TV's without powering down. : )

Sell the iPad 1 for $300+ and buy this refurb iPad 2 (32GB)for $399 (Or 16GB new):

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC770

http://preview.tinyurl.com/79gu5v4 (UPS $45)

Last edited by 8CoreWhore; May 8, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
8CoreWhore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:00 AM   #5
ljonesj
macrumors 6502a

you could just use itunes and home sharing with your apple tv and restore the apple tv to non jailbreak status and use it that way so you will not have to break drm at all
Old May 9, 2012, 10:15 AM   #6
s15119
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkdumpster View Post
I
this thing is just collecting dust.
If you don't use it, sell it and buy something you enjoy.
s15119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 10:36 AM   #7
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
keep it, and Keep it on the TV you use the most , one is better than nothing
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Junkdumpster
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I wrote this when I was mad and actually never came back to it. I tried selling it but couldn't make enough for it to be worth it, and right as I was about to put it in a drawer, boom, the new untethered jailbreak came out.

But I've actually purchased a DVD ripping program and have been importing movies, so home sharing is a lot more worth it now (I don't buy movies on iTunes very often, because I'm a need-a-physical-copy kind of guy). Hulu Plus also enabled airplay mirroring to the ATV with their most recent update, so now that I have Hulu and Netflix, the ATV actually covers my all of my streaming options and I'm a little happier.

My internet is still way too slow to take advantage of airplay mirroring on my iPhone, which is still a bummer. Additionally, my iPad still has unbearably low RAM, and I've been using it less and less, so I'm thinking I'll just load it with movies to stream so my computer doesn't have to be on all the time. Combined with Hulu, Remote, and several GB's of my video collection, it won't be much of an iPad, but will make a great remote with a killer large-screen GUI.
Junkdumpster is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater