Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 4, 2012, 07:50 PM   #251
landscapeman
macrumors regular

One thing I regret is not calling you a douchebag from the beginning.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:50 PM   #252
Stevamundo
macrumors 6502

So probably a billionaire (or at least a millionaire) is "laying awke at nights" worrying about imessage? POOR GUY!

OK everybody, send your checks to this poor guy. Obviously he needs more money to survive. I'M GOING TO FREAKIN THROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 4, 2012, 07:51 PM   #253
derickdub
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by conartist4u View Post
true that... logical post apart from the fact that your messaging alone is a cause of their worries unless of course you have all you can eat data
I got rid of unlimited messaging the day I could. Only saved me money, so why not? Kind of ironic really, since AT&T is claiming unlimited data was costing them yet they're getting less out of me by getting rid of it.
derickdub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 07:53 PM   #254
conartist4u
macrumors regular

there's got to be one satisfied customer in this thread somewhere.
conartist4u is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 07:53 PM   #255
Flitzy

Disrupting revenue because of iMessage and Skype?

Um, HELLO. You're getting a consistent payment EVERY MONTH from the user.

Personally, I'm glad I went over to Sprint. I couldn't be happier with them!
Flitzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 07:54 PM   #256
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe98 View Post
oh you can, can you? Using what phone app? It doesn't exist on the iPad.
Here's just a guess, but by using the Ooma app.
cmwade77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 07:54 PM   #257
SirHaakon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
You think Apple is being civil?
They're exploiting their customer's loyalty by charging as much as humanly possible for their products and then sticking it to the service providers by demanding high subsidies.
Trust me on this... Apple will see the carriers begin to revolt on the subsidy very soon.
If the data is correct, the ROI on each subsidized phone will hit negative territory in the next year. Carriers will have no reason to offer them at that point.
Apple will be forced to drop the subsidy requirements or lower the retail price.
A popular phone is meaningless if the carrier can't make money off of it.
I made no comments about Apple, only AT&T.

The carriers may choose not to carry Apple products if they do not wish to pay the subsidies, no one is forcing them.
SirHaakon is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 07:56 PM   #258
conartist4u
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickdub View Post
I got rid of unlimited messaging the day I could. Only saved me money, so why not? Kind of ironic really, since AT&T is claiming unlimited data was costing them yet they're getting less out of me by getting rid of it.
So it was true, you being on an unlimited plan. Now they want you to believe having you on the plan is their sacrifice, lest do they know consumers are sharpening their axes to get back at an innocent ploy to win their hearts over by you know who.
glad you saw the light, wifi it is
conartist4u is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 07:59 PM   #259
Macboy Pro
macrumors 6502a

Wow look at all the classy people flaming this guy. He was being honest AND he is correct. Clearly he understands business which is why AT&T is extremely successful.

oh, and I love hearing the folks who are switching to Sprint because they are being throttled LOL You are going to Sprint so you can be throttled ALL THE TIME?

This forum is full of brilliant folks...
Macboy Pro is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:00 PM   #260
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

I like that there was an At&t ad banner at the bottom of my window... :P

I really wish one of these companies made a fair all data and voice VOIP plan. Or just allowed a all data plan that allowed you to use google voice. Since that's the only number I give out now anyway.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:01 PM   #261
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
I guess that makes you a troll then. I suppose you think 20 cents a text (the equivalent of $1,310 per megabyte) is perfectly reasonable? Didn't think so. Cry me a river.
A popular but totally incorrect analogy.

A text is not the equivalent of sending data out over the internet. For one thing, it's not charged by the byte. It's the same price whether you send just one character or the SMS limit. For another, it requires the use of quite a few carrier resources that data does not, including the need for store-and-forward.

A text is not a data connection. It is a very short phone call and thus is billed that way, usually starting at 10 cents a minute minimum... or less if you've made a deal.
kdarling is online now   -3 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:02 PM   #262
Arcady
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
If I only made three and a half BILLION dollars in 3 months, I'd stay awake at night too... drinking and gambling.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:02 PM   #263
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickdub View Post
They were the cheapest of the big carriers for sometime, still don't know if they are. That's being competitive to me. All of the major phone companies are just as guilty as AT&T of "nickel and diming".
Huh? What world do you live in?
AT&T offers no unlimited data, their plans are sky high, etc.

T-Mobile offers unlimited everything starting at $35 per line (two line minimum), yes they have throttling, but you can pay a little extra to get more high speed bandwidth. That being said, even when throttle my wife's Android phone has a faster data connection on T-Mobile than mine does when not throttled on AT&T.

Sprint has lower priced plans than AT&T, so does Verizon.

Of course, then you look at the prepaid market like Straight Talk and you can get even cheaper (and have all taxes included).

I still maintain that a nationwide Wi-Max (or some equivalent) network and phones that can connect to it could be a viable and inexpensive alternative though.
cmwade77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:02 PM   #264
damage00
macrumors member

Oh...

...cry me a [______] river.

Maybe he needs better business models? Maybe he needs to do his homework? Maybe he needs to refer his customers to Sprint? Maybe he needs to step down if he's not getting enough sleep.

And CISPA will let this guy listen to my phone calls and read my texts...?! I'll be damned if that's allowed to happen. (Find and write to your senators to stop it.)
damage00 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:02 PM   #265
SDub90
macrumors 6502a

As much as I don't like what he said.... I can't blame him.

If they had started with $30 for 2GB plans, we'd still be paying it without complaining until a worth while competitor came along with a truly unlimited data plan for the same device and performance.
SDub90 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:04 PM   #266
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
A text is not the equivalent of sending data out over the internet. For one thing, it's not charged by the byte. It's the same price whether you send just one character or the SMS limit. For another, it requires the use of quite a few carrier resources that data does not, including the need for store-and-forward.

A text is not a data connection. It is a very short phone call and thus is billed that way, usually starting at 10 cents a minute minimum... or less if you've made a deal.
I'm sorry, but this is just nonsense.

A text message is not "a very short phone call". SMS was designed to utilise a part of the GSM system that wasn't able to carry any useful data.

60 SMS, each sent a second apart would not use the same amount of capacity on the network as a one minute phone call.

I'm not shocked to hear that the US still has per minute billing though - itself another rip off.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:05 PM   #267
VanNess
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Speaking at a conference this week, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson noted that he only had one regret about AT&T being the first cellular carrier to support the iPhone. As reported by the New York Times:
Since then, AT&T has discontinued offering unlimited data plans to new customers, as well as throttling users who have been grandfathered in from older plans.
Ya Randy, you the man! Who wants to invest capitol anyway? That's for suckers!

You get millions of new subscribers? Take the money and run baby!!!
Old May 4, 2012, 08:05 PM   #268
mac.cali
macrumors 6502a

This guy is an idiot!! I'm so glad I ditched AT&T. Verizon at times can be frustrating with their slower 3G speeds. However when he says ****** like this makes me so glad I'm not an AT&T customer.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:06 PM   #269
SirHaakon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Okay, it's Friday. I'm happy. I'll bite

How is bandwidth at the cell or backhaul not a finite resource?
It is not possible to use it up to the point that none exists, like a physical resource. We can't ever "run out" of it like water or oil.

What is limited are the structures that provide it, and certainly the demands for it are ever increasing (and it costs money to provide it). But it's incorrect to say that bandwidth itself is a resource that is will deplete over time with continued use. It's an infinite resource with limited means to access it.
SirHaakon is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:06 PM   #270
Mr. F
macrumors newbie

Only 3.5 billion dollars profit this quarter!
... how will they ever manage to get by?

Greedy! Greedy! Greedy!

Why not take say a billion or two of that and invest it in improving their lousy system instead. Who knows, maybe they'd get more customers out of it. This guy has his head straight up where the sun don't shine. Yet another "business leader" leading us out of the first world.
Mr. F is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:06 PM   #271
Macboy Pro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Huh? What world do you live in?
AT&T offers no unlimited data, their plans are sky high, etc.

T-Mobile offers unlimited everything starting at $35 per line (two line minimum), yes they have throttling, but you can pay a little extra to get more high speed bandwidth. That being said, even when throttle my wife's Android phone has a faster data connection on T-Mobile than mine does when not throttled on AT&T.

Sprint has lower priced plans than AT&T, so does Verizon.

Of course, then you look at the prepaid market like Straight Talk and you can get even cheaper (and have all taxes included).

I still maintain that a nationwide Wi-Max (or some equivalent) network and phones that can connect to it could be a viable and inexpensive alternative though.

And you think AT&T and T-Mobile are equal carriers? If so, WHAT WORLD ARE YOU LIVING IN? Coverage, speed, etc? Please.

Do you complain when Apple charges you a 50% premium so they can build up their $100B bank account? Probably not. The Hypocrisy in this forum is incredible.
Macboy Pro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:08 PM   #272
petsounds
macrumors 65816

Huh. Well, my biggest regret is sticking with AT&T.
petsounds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:10 PM   #273
conartist4u
macrumors regular

how quickly we strayed away from the topic at hand. the CEO just said he had one regret only, was that not justified? I guess it was the only reason for variance that was attributed by the business analysts who surveyed the operational financials and gave their only reasoning. Now we talk about gsm architecture and how AT&T sucks in ways that Sprint does'nt. Let's hear it for T-Mobile.
conartist4u is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:11 PM   #274
verniesgarden
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to verniesgarden
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozo View Post
He's not running it well.
he's running it pretty damn well honestly, they are growing, getting more customers daily and are larger than other mobile carriers. if that's not successful, what is?
Old May 4, 2012, 08:12 PM   #275
derbothaus
macrumors 601

Whah effing whah! No one would want to be on your network without the iPhone. Only regret was not understanding how to screw users from the get-go. If you don't have the infrastructure you don't get to sell the phone. Pretty simple. What a cry baby. I am sick of the corporate sympathy card they keep playing. Even reading these comments. Look at all the corporate sympathizers. Like I give a ****. They exist for one thing. To sell you stuff. If they stop giving you value, you stop buying. You don't get all emotional over their existence. Fuk em. The entire cell industry model is absurd and frankly I can't understand how people let contracts and the like even slide to begin with.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion