Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2, 2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Hally231
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Buying new Mac Pro to replace my 2007 one

As the title suggests - my mac pro is getting close to 5 years old now and believe it is a good time to sell before any hardware problems develop

Here are some screen shots of what i have got:





I have a raid card installed and 4x 2tb hard drives with a 80gb SSD for the OS

Do you guys recommend i buy a brand new mac pro or just upgrading to a 2009 model off eBay?

Also, how much do you think i could get for my mac in GBP.

Thanks
Hally231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
robbie12345
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: United States
WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT AND I MEAN DONT, get a new mac pro. they are about to be updated and the current hardware in them is pretty much 3 years old.

there is a new mac pro on the horizon and because your computer is still in good condition you can probably wait another month or so
robbie12345 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 02:25 AM   #3
cperry2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Most definitely wait to the update and go from there. Probably get a new one if you can afford it. Having the thunderbolt ports will probably be a boon for storage expansion in the future.
cperry2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 03:51 AM   #4
Hally231
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie12345 View Post
WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT AND I MEAN DONT, get a new mac pro. they are about to be updated and the current hardware in them is pretty much 3 years old.

there is a new mac pro on the horizon and because your computer is still in good condition you can probably wait another month or so
Im just not sure whether they will bring out a new one as i have heard they're killing the line off, but what you say about 3 year old technology is very true. With student discount i can get around 600 off a 8 core machine, however i will wait patiently for the update.

When does everyone think its getting updated?
Hally231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Vantage Point
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Jersey
Rumors are rumors. It's been almost 2 years since the last update - the longest lag for a new model. Hopefully, if this happens it will be within 60 days. If you need one now consider a refurb
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro
__________________
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4Ghz i5, 8GB RAM (2010), 750GB WD Scorpio Black + NEC 26" LCD2690W2-BK-SV Monitor
iPhone 5 iPad2 Wi-Fi
Vantage Point is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:36 AM   #6
bottleneck
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
I would not buy one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally231 View Post
Im just not sure whether they will bring out a new one as i have heard they're killing the line off, but what you say about 3 year old technology is very true. With student discount i can get around 600 off a 8 core machine, however i will wait patiently for the update.

When does everyone think its getting updated?
Don't help Apple to sell ther overpriced old products, even if you get a sweet discount. I'm in the same position as you. If they don't launch a new Mac Pro soon or at least a nonglossy iMac I'll build either a hackintosh or go back to windows workstations.

No one should buy a single dinosaur Mac Pro anymore. It won't push them to launch new ones or make fair prices for their dinosaurs, but it hopefully makes them think what to do with their stock.

The Mac Pro isn't bad, but it isn't worth the money for sure! And if you compare it to new HP workstations they seem like a rip off.
bottleneck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:45 AM   #7
foodog
macrumors 6502a
 
foodog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally231 View Post
Im just not sure whether they will bring out a new one as i have heard they're killing the line off, but what you say about 3 year old technology is very true. With student discount i can get around 600 off a 8 core machine, however i will wait patiently for the update.

When does everyone think its getting updated?
Apple has been killing off the Mac Mini for a lot longer.
__________________
][+ (48K Ram) to Mac Pro 2013 and many Apple computers between.
foodog is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Silencio
macrumors 68000
 
Silencio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodog View Post
Apple has been killing off the Mac Mini for a lot longer.
It's funny, but lately I've been thinking the same thing: the parallels between the Mac Pro situation of today and the Mac mini situation of several years ago are strikingly similar: the mini languished for quite some time without an update, and people were convinced Apple was going to kill it off. At long last, Apple introduced a significantly improved Mac mini that has maintained a very healthy niche within Apple's product line.

I expect the same thing will happen with the Mac Pro. Intel hasn't given Apple much new to work with in the Xeon line for some years, but now they have. It's just a matter of time.
__________________
"The times they are a changin', and some traditional PC folks feel like their world is slipping away. It is."
Silencio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 11:01 AM   #9
FF_productions
macrumors 68030
 
FF_productions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Send a message via AIM to FF_productions Send a message via Skype™ to FF_productions
As the others have said, don't even look at these current models. I can't believe they are taking so long to update this model.

I find it hard to believe that because of Intel, apple hasn't updated the mac pro line in two years. Maybe the sales numbers would be better if they updated it every 6 months instead of every year or 2?? The PC world moves very fast, and apple doesn't care to be caught up on current tech.


Also, to the OP: I have that same Mac Pro @ home, and I have no reason to believe that it's going to crap out any time soon. These are server grade workstations built to last for a long time. I figure I can get another 3-5 years out of mine before having to upgrade it.
__________________
Home: Mac Pro, Quad 2.66
Work: Mac Pro, 12 Core
FF_productions is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 11:40 AM   #10
foodog
macrumors 6502a
 
foodog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_productions View Post
As the others have said, don't even look at these current models. I can't believe they are taking so long to update this model.

I find it hard to believe that because of Intel, apple hasn't updated the mac pro line in two years. Maybe the sales numbers would be better if they updated it every 6 months instead of every year or 2?? The PC world moves very fast, and apple doesn't care to be caught up on current tech.


Also, to the OP: I have that same Mac Pro @ home, and I have no reason to believe that it's going to crap out any time soon. These are server grade workstations built to last for a long time. I figure I can get another 3-5 years out of mine before having to upgrade it.
Home computers are constantly swapping out hardware for slight performance increases. A Mac Pro shouldn't be compared to these. Servers and high-end workstations do not do this. Stability and constant updating do not go hand in hand. Intel hasn't come out with any Xeon since 2010 (the last Mac Pro update) that is significantly better until just last month. At least they delivered something.... I'm still waiting for a G5 laptop.
__________________
][+ (48K Ram) to Mac Pro 2013 and many Apple computers between.
foodog is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Pro linked to MacBook Pro 17" (Nov 2007) roskruge Mac Pro 3 Mar 29, 2014 05:41 PM
How feasible is an iMac Pro, to replace Mac Pro? iBug2 Mac Pro 17 Nov 4, 2012 06:02 AM
Mac mini 2011 Server to replace 2008 Mac pro akuma13 Mac mini 6 Aug 12, 2012 09:56 AM
Buying a new battery for a 2007 Macbook Pro.. Need help. PhaserFuzz MacBook Pro 3 Jul 28, 2012 08:10 PM
Anybody replace Mac Pro with MacBook Pro Retina? steffi MacBook Pro 3 Jul 17, 2012 06:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC