Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Hey all,

I am getting a water-damaged iMac 2009 20" in the mail in a few days from eBay, however the catch is that it was all sealed in the box when the sprinklers accidentally went off soaking the box. The seller said there may or may not be signs of the water damage - some had corrosion - and that I'll be getting a random pick from the whole lot of the 16 that were in the school's storage facility where the sprinklers went off.

So I got it for $200 shipped - never been powered on and the seller didn't know whether it was working or not. If it works, amazing, if not, can resell for parts.

However, I'm on of the fence of whether I, when I get it, send it off to http://www.repairlabs.com and have them completely disassemble it, clean it all inside and externally, and give it a better chance of booting for the first time or even powering on, or NOT send it in anywhere and take the chance of it working.

I want/need to know if repairlabs/Fix-iphones.com is/are a legit, respectable, real site that has real certified Apple technicians who really do the work they say they do, and at the level of finesse they do it at.

Anyone have any experience with these people, and are they really the real deal?

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Hey all,

I am getting a water-damaged iMac 2009 20" in the mail in a few days from eBay, however the catch is that it was all sealed in the box when the sprinklers accidentally went off soaking the box. The seller said there may or may not be signs of the water damage - some had corrosion - and that I'll be getting a random pick from the whole lot of the 16 that were in the school's storage facility where the sprinklers went off.

So I got it for $200 shipped - never been powered on and the seller didn't know whether it was working or not. If it works, amazing, if not, can resell for parts.

However, I'm on of the fence of whether I, when I get it, send it off to http://www.repairlabs.com and have them completely disassemble it, clean it all inside and externally, and give it a better chance of booting for the first time or even powering on, or NOT send it in anywhere and take the chance of it working.

I want/need to know if repairlabs/Fix-iphones.com is/are a legit, respectable, real site that has real certified Apple technicians who really do the work they say they do, and at the level of finesse they do it at.

Anyone have any experience with these people, and are they really the real deal?

Don't know what you should do, but I would be completely staggered if it was working.

I don't know how honest the seller is, but can you honestly imagine selling an iMac yourself for $200 because you could not be bothered to turn it on and find that it works and you can sell it for $1000?

Or that it "may or may not" have signs of corrosion, when clearly if you were to look, and it has not, then it's worth more?

Maybe I am being cynical, but to me this eBay listing sounds like one where the seller knows exactly what's going on, and is trying to inflate the price as high as possible.

I strongly suspect what you buy will be a corroded dud. For your sake, I hope it is not.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Thanks for the reply

Yeah I know the stakes, however the listing seems 100% legit and I backtracked his image hosting website and there are TONS of Macs in this storage facility, so I think he really is simply trying to sell them off - and not powering them on is what gives him the ability to sell them faster.

Anyways, does anyone know of how legit Repairlabs.com is? IDK if I want to send the iMac straight to them after I get it or not. They "say" they do a complete water-damage cleaning of all the parts for $40.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.