Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 4, 2012, 07:09 PM   #1
fazox
macrumors member

Possible problem for those using unlimited data 4G sims in VZ iPads

I am currently using my 4G microsim with unlimited data from another phone in my iPad and it works great. I just got off of the phone with Verizon CS because i was getting charged for text messages that I can't make from the iPad. The Rep took care of the charges for the texts but told me that the setup I have for the iPad was acceptable, but that eventually my unlimited 4G line would be "scrubbed for compatibility" and be disconnected because the iPad is not a phone. He then said at that point I would have to choose a tiered plan for data.

I informed him of Verizon's own policy about sim cards at http://support.verizonwireless.com/i...ion/4gsim.html

Specifically this:
Q: Can I use my Verizon Wireless 4G SIM card in a 4G LTE device not purchased from Verizon Wireless?

A: Yes. You may activate any 4G LTE device that has been certified by Verizon Wireless to be compatible with our 4G LTE network, including devices not purchased directly from Verizon Wireless. Simply activate your 4G SIM card on a Verizon Wireless price plan

He then said that that doesn't apply to the iPad because it is not a phone (even though the policy states "device") and then tried to persuade me into switching to a tiered plan.

Have any of you heard of line "scrubbing," or was the rep just trying to scare me into switching to tiered?

Last edited by fazox; May 4, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
fazox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:15 AM   #2
bursthead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazox View Post
I am currently using my 4G microsim with unlimited data from another phone in my iPad and it works great. I just got off of the phone with Verizon CS because i was getting charged for text messages that I can't make from the iPad. The Rep took care of the charges for the texts but told me that the setup I have for the iPad was acceptable, but that eventually my unlimited 4G line would be "scrubbed for compatibility" and be disconnected because the iPad is not a phone. He then said at that point I would have to choose a tiered plan for data.

I informed him of Verizon's own policy about sim cards at http://support.verizonwireless.com/i...ion/4gsim.html

Specifically this:
Q: Can I use my Verizon Wireless 4G SIM card in a 4G LTE device not purchased from Verizon Wireless?

A: Yes. You may activate any 4G LTE device that has been certified by Verizon Wireless to be compatible with our 4G LTE network, including devices not purchased directly from Verizon Wireless. Simply activate your 4G SIM card on a Verizon Wireless price plan

He then said that that doesn't apply to the iPad because it is not a phone (even though the policy states "device") and then tried to persuade me into switching to a tiered plan.

Have any of you heard of line "scrubbing," or was the rep just trying to scare me into switching to tiered?
Did you ever find any more information about this?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Jades
macrumors regular

The rep definitely doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Most Verizon reps I speak to are not fully trained and think they know it all

When Verizon acquired the 700 MHz block C spectrum, they were required to agree to certain terms. One of them was to allow sim swapping without messing with the end user's data plan

So I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing to note, however, is whenever you make changes on your account, or to that line in particular, just put the sim inside a phone and wait few minutes to register in Verizon's system. Then the rep will be on the same page as you.
Jades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:21 AM   #4
jonfarr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazox View Post

Specifically this:

I believe he was just trying to upsell you. Thats all he was doing.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:59 PM   #5
christof
macrumors 6502

Is this allowed: I can swap my SIM from iPhone 5 to iPad mini at any time without any problems? This is making me rethink keeping my AT&T Unlimited LTE iPad data plan.
christof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:12 PM   #6
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Is this allowed: I can swap my SIM from iPhone 5 to iPad mini at any time without any problems? This is making me rethink keeping my AT&T Unlimited LTE iPad data plan.
if you search a ton of people have been doing this. I don't have unlimited on verizon so I can't but its actually quite genius for those who do.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:32 PM   #7
christof
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinNguyen View Post
if you search a ton of people have been doing this. I don't have unlimited on verizon so I can't but its actually quite genius for those who do.
It appears that the FCC requires Verizon to allow SIM swapping with any device: phone, hotspot, iPad… http://www.phonenews.com/verizon-aff...te-ipad-20053/

Last edited by christof; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
christof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:41 PM   #8
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
It appears that the FCC requires Verizon to allow SIM swapping with any device: phone, hotspot, iPadů http://www.phonenews.com/verizon-aff...te-ipad-20053/
Nice! I'm jealous haha
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:26 PM   #9
fazox
macrumors member

All is well, my plan remains unchanged. The rep was just trying to scare me into a tiered plan.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad