Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 3, 2012, 10:50 AM   #1
dolphin842
macrumors 65816

SSD suddenly won't mount

Hi all,

I've been booting my Mac mini off of an external SSD. It's worked fine up until today... it won't boot or even show up in Disk Utility. I've tried a variety of enclosures and even hooked it up directly via SATA on an old MacBook, but it never shows up.

At this point I'm assuming the drive is dead, but I just wanted to check here to see if I should try any other troubleshooting methods before getting warranty service.
dolphin842 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 11:47 AM   #2
DanTheCru
macrumors newbie

SSD not recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin842 View Post
Hi all,

I've been booting my Mac mini off of an external SSD. It's worked fine up until today... it won't boot or even show up in Disk Utility. I've tried a variety of enclosures and even hooked it up directly via SATA on an old MacBook, but it never shows up.

At this point I'm assuming the drive is dead, but I just wanted to check here to see if I should try any other troubleshooting methods before getting warranty service.
What you can try to do is power cycle the drive. When you start your system hold the OPTION key and let it sit there for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes shut down the computer and wait 30 seconds. Than turn the system back on and hold the OPTION key again and wait another 30 minutes. After these steps are complete than you can try the drive again to see if it will be seen by the system. If it still isn't seen by the system than I would suggest getting it replaced. If it comes up ensure that you update the firmware on the drive to the latest version. It is a good thing to stay up to date with the SSD firmware updates.
DanTheCru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 12:29 PM   #3
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

What is the point of leaving the computer at the boot menu for 30 minutes?
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 09:40 AM   #4
DanTheCru
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezramoore View Post
What is the point of leaving the computer at the boot menu for 30 minutes?
If the drive isn't being detected than it is possible that there is an issue with the firmware on the drive. By performing the steps you are power cycling the drive and trying to correct any firmware issues.
DanTheCru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:41 AM   #5
dolphin842
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheCru View Post
If the drive isn't being detected than it is possible that there is an issue with the firmware on the drive. By performing the steps you are power cycling the drive and trying to correct any firmware issues.
Interesting, I hadn't heard of that before. I'll give it a try this afternoon.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:46 AM   #6
benthewraith
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin842 View Post
Hi all,

Could you give us more information, what's the brand and model of the SSD?
benthewraith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:49 AM   #7
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheCru View Post
Fascinating. Are you saying that the Mac will power cycle the device on the SATA bus or are you saying that the drive power cycles itself if you leave it powered up for 30 mins.?
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:00 PM   #8
dolphin842
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthewraith View Post
Could you give us more information, what's the brand and model of the SSD?
It's a SanDisk Ultra (the one with the older SATA II Sandforce chip).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help