Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 5, 2012, 09:46 AM   #1
aoaaron
macrumors 6502

iphone 4 home button... wil apple replace it?

Okay so i have an iphone 4 which is out of the year warantee.

the home button 'works'... but not very well. i have to press down multiple times sometimes and very hard before it responds. will apple fix/replace it? its out of warantee but honestly for the price i paid for an unlocked 32GB model, i expected it to last more than a year and a half!
aoaaron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 03:15 PM   #2
BrandonZ
macrumors regular

Happened to me three weeks ago. $150 for a replacement phone is probably what you will be told.
BrandonZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
How about getting the home button for $3.91 and replace it yourself?
Giuly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 03:27 PM   #4
angrydog
macrumors member

I have the same problem with the home button, but I recently got my phone unlocked by At&T so if I give them $150, will they give me a factory unlocked phone? I'm on T-mobile and I got it unlocked before they enforced the whole "you have to have an AT&T account to unlock" policy.

Not thread jacking, I have the same issue so why make another thread.
Old May 5, 2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

If you can't repair it yourself, there are plenty of people you can take it to for repair. As mentioned, the part itself is only a few dollars. A qualified tech can do the repair in 30-60 minutes, or even less if they are very good. This should cost much less than $150.

It is not a repair to take lightly though. You have to remove the logic board and LCD/digitizer assembly, and deal with a bunch of screws that make a grain of rice look big.

Apple will only give you a swap... I am not sure what AT&T will do but I think they have a better process now to clear replacements for unlocking. I have a 4S, 4, and original iPhone, the latter 2 unlocked by AT&T (and on TM now). My 4's home button was a pain too. But I just fixed it myself.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydog View Post
I have the same problem with the home button, but I recently got my phone unlocked by At&T so if I give them $150, will they give me a factory unlocked phone? I'm on T-mobile and I got it unlocked before they enforced the whole "you have to have an AT&T account to unlock" policy.

Not thread jacking, I have the same issue so why make another thread.
A replacement from Apple will have the same activation profile as the device it is replacing (i.e. an unlocked iPhone will be replaced with an unlocked iPhone).
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 04:30 PM   #7
angrydog
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
A replacement from Apple will have the same activation profile as the device it is replacing (i.e. an unlocked iPhone will be replaced with an unlocked iPhone).
Thanks dave, exactly what I was looking for.
Old May 5, 2012, 04:37 PM   #8
apolloa
macrumors 68040

First try this, recalibrate the button, works for many.

Open the included Stocks app, press the power button until the slide to turn off screen appears, then HOLD down the home button until the Stocks app force closes and you are back at the home screen.
Repeat a few times if needed and you will see an improvement.

EDIT:

A random You Tube search found lots of videos, they also have videos showing how to replace the button if you search:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cujErKjh85o

Last edited by apolloa; May 5, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:56 PM   #9
angrydog
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
... then HOLD down the home button until the Stocks app force closes
My home button is soo bad that I cannot even do that part & I also did try the USB connector trick (from youtube) and was deemed useless, my button is physically bad and no software nor physical gimmick will fix it; but I do appreciate the tips.
Old May 5, 2012, 06:54 PM   #10
apolloa
macrumors 68040

Quote:
My home button is soo bad that I cannot even do that part & I also did try the USB connector trick (from youtube) and was deemed useless, my button is physically bad and no software nor physical gimmick will fix it; but I do appreciate the tips.
Ah, sorry then. But I would go to an Apple store and ask what they will do. It's a common fault, I have known people in the UK get it fixed for nothing because of this.
Try and be fair but firm and polite and see where you get to? If it costs too much then see how much the button is and again watch You Tube videos to see how tricky it is to replace if you want to.
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 05:37 PM   #11
angrydog
macrumors member

UPDATE: So I went to the Apple Store and got a new iPhone 4. They did not give me a factory unlocked iphone, instead the "Genius" puts in a request ticket to Apple's unlock servers. I waited 20 minutes to turn the iPhone on as per "Genius'" request. Once I turned it on, the phone did accept my T-Mobile sim. Also the "Genius" told me I only have a 90 day warranty but I checked my serial on Apple's website and I have a full 1-year apple-care warranty.

EDIT: Yes, I did pay $150; To me it was plausible so don't give me the "you could have done it for $5" speech. Oh and the best part, I received a phone which was on 5.0.1 FW, Here I come untethered JB!

Last edited by angrydog; May 7, 2012 at 09:09 PM.
angrydog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 08:08 PM   #12
Peytah
macrumors newbie

Did you have to pay the $150?
Peytah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:50 PM   #13
oneapple
macrumors newbie

I realize this is a bit off topic since it's about apple replacing the phone, but I recently did the isopropyl alcohol fix on my iphone which would sometimes not register home button clicks, even if I pressed hard. Now the home button works like new! For others, this might be worth a try.
oneapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 12:02 AM   #14
ixodes
macrumors 601

I was forced to replace 2 iPhone 4 models & one iPhone 4S. All stopped working as the home button failed. I keep my phones exceptionally clean, carried in an enclosed case & never dropped.

Apple is generally considered as a premium company. To foist off these old low tech mechanical buttons is just dumb. None of my Androids with touch sensitive buttons have ever presented problems.

Why Apple clings to these cheap buttons, must be for planned obsolesce. It creates a ready market when they brick the phone.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:46 AM   #15
andyx3x
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Also the "Genius" told me I only have a 90 day warranty but I checked my serial on Apple's website and I have a full 1-year apple-care warranty.
That will correct itself in the next couple of days. It still has the previous owners warranty info under that serial number.
andyx3x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 06:57 AM   #16
zephxiii
macrumors 6502

Yea the home button is the disaster of the iPhone4 lol...had to get mine replaced.
zephxiii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 07:35 PM   #17
completing
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneapple View Post
I realize this is a bit off topic since it's about apple replacing the phone, but I recently did the isopropyl alcohol fix on my iphone which would sometimes not register home button clicks, even if I pressed hard. Now the home button works like new! For others, this might be worth a try.
Second this too.

I don't know why people don't try cleaning it first before going on doing useless software trick and repairs.

Dab some isopropyl alcohol on a cotton pad, press down the home, and clean the edges of home button area.

The fix worked for many iPhones so far including my friends.
completing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:08 AM   #18
MikeTheBike2010
macrumors newbie

Smile Alcohol is the answer

My better half has been having this issue with her Iphone for ages and we had resorted to the "virtual" home button as per accessibility options.
Whilst its always been an intermittent fault (and I for one dont fancy the 90 minute minute screw repair job mentioned) just wanted to say thank you for the Isopropryl cleaning tip.
I happened to have some lying around (what are the chances!) from working on my bicycles hydraulics and used a cotton bud whilst depressing the home button.
Early days but so far appears to have fixed the problem (and is a quick enough fix if I need to do it again every few weeks/months.

Thank you!
MikeTheBike2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone