Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old May 5, 2012, 10:21 AM   #1
tony3d
macrumors 6502

Is this ram any good?

Looking to fill my Mac Pro Early 2008 3,1 machine with this memory before giving it to my son. Is this memory reliable, and do they stand behind it?

http://www.memoryamerica.com/3fk225672800at.html
tony3d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 10:53 AM   #2
gpzjock
macrumors 6502a

I liked it so much I bought the lot.

I have 16 GB of Memory America RAM in my Mac Pro 3,1 it has a lifetime warranty on it. In 2009 1 stick went bad and they replaced all 4 sticks from that set for the price of the postage. In 2010 the same thing happened with the other set, 1 stick went bad, they replaced the lot for p&p.
Can't fault service like that.
gpzjock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:06 PM   #3
tony3d
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzjock View Post
I have 16 GB of Memory America RAM in my Mac Pro 3,1 it has a lifetime warranty on it. In 2009 1 stick went bad and they replaced all 4 sticks from that set for the price of the postage. In 2010 the same thing happened with the other set, 1 stick went bad, they replaced the lot for p&p.
Can't fault service like that.
The failures don't sound very good.
tony3d is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:21 PM   #4
YosemiteSam
macrumors member

I sure hope it's good, because I just added 8 GB from them this past week.

2008 Mac Pro 3,1. No problems so far... but obviously it's only been a few days.
YosemiteSam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 01:00 PM   #5
tony3d
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
I sure hope it's good, because I just added 8 GB from them this past week.

2008 Mac Pro 3,1. No problems so far... but obviously it's only been a few days.
The price is great? Isn't all this ram supplied by just a few manufactures anyway?
Old May 6, 2012, 01:54 AM   #6
gpzjock
macrumors 6502a

FB-DIMMs work hard and run very hot.

Fully buffered workstation memory is not like normal RAM, the error correction makes it work very hard and heat up significantly. My RAM regularly hits 70-80c during heavy use, even with the heat sinks attached this is strenuous for such components especially long term.
This is why you should only buy RAM with a lifetime warranty, you never know what could happen further down the line.
My Mac Pro has run 16 hours a day every day for 4 years, 2 sticks failing during this time is unlucky but not really unexpected considering such a high level of use. Memory America stand by every stick they sell and replace the whole shipment to ensure you retain matched pairs and avoid a repeat failure should that batch happen to have a manufacturing flaw.
If it all gets made in the same place then you should buy it from the company with the best pricing and returns policy. That would be MemAmericay then...
gpzjock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 02:15 AM   #7
tony3d
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzjock View Post
Fully buffered workstation memory is not like normal RAM, the error correction makes it work very hard and heat up significantly. My RAM regularly hits 70-80c during heavy use, even with the heat sinks attached this is strenuous for such components especially long term.
This is why you should only buy RAM with a lifetime warranty, you never know what could happen further down the line.
My Mac Pro has run 16 hours a day every day for 4 years, 2 sticks failing during this time is unlucky but not really unexpected considering such a high level of use. Memory America stand by every stick they sell and replace the whole shipment to ensure you retain matched pairs and avoid a repeat failure should that batch happen to have a manufacturing flaw.
If it all gets made in the same place then you should buy it from the company with the best pricing a
nd returns policy. That would be MemAmericay then...

Sounds good thanks. I'll get some next week.
Old May 6, 2012, 02:52 AM   #8
G4DP
macrumors 65816

when you get the ram, try running SETI@home or something similar, for 24 hours a day for a month. That will test it and will likely find a fault if one is present. I have not had and memory go bad. In any Mac.

Although I purchased my RAM from OWC, they offer the same lifetime service as MemoryAmerica.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro