Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enter360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Texas
Hello World,

I have a new Macbook Pro and a 4th Gen iPod touch. I am tired of taking so long to sync my iPod so I did some research and found a firewire 400 cable for an iPod and an adaptor from firewire 400 to 800. When I plug the iPod in to my MBP iTunes doesn't read the iPod. It does not show up any where. On the screen I get a warning that charging is not supported with this accessory. Other than that nothing happens. Does anyone know what could be going wrong ?

On a side note my iPod is a 64GB model and only shows 58GB capacity is that normal ? If not does anyone know how to do a master reset to get back to factory state ?

I have my iPod backed up so reseting it does't bother me if I can get the firewire issue fixed.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
The Firewire compatible iPods are the 1st to 4th Gen and the iPod Mini.

After that most charge via Firewire but require USB to sync with a host computer. Everything from the last few years is USB only and gives the "charging is not supported with this accessory" message.

enter360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Texas
Thanks for the explanation guys. incase anyone was wondering it doesn't work with iexplorer either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.