Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 6, 2012, 05:02 AM   #1
VideoNewbie
macrumors 6502

My Granny's iPhone is Dropping Calls. Wants To Get it Replaced. Privacy Issues?

so my granny's iphone is dropping calls left and right. at&t has reset her network but the problem still persists. can we bypass the whole "try a new sim card" and just get a whole new phone? im told that if its within the one year that she can get the phone replaced?

second question is- what do i need to do to retain all the info on her current phone and transfer it over to the new one? the comptuer she used to set up the iphone initially is about 7000 miles away. i have my computer but will i be able to back up her phone on my computer and then restore the new phone that way?

third question- regarding security. when you guys get your phone replaced do you wipe the phone clean before trading it in ? or do you leave all of your info on it? if you wipe it clean how do you do this exactly and would it be completely safe to do as long as you back up the phone before doing it? any chance of not being able to get the info back?
VideoNewbie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 06:48 AM   #2
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoNewbie View Post
so my granny's iphone is dropping calls left and right. at&t has reset her network but the problem still persists. can we bypass the whole "try a new sim card" and just get a whole new phone? im told that if its within the one year that she can get the phone replaced?

second question is- what do i need to do to retain all the info on her current phone and transfer it over to the new one? the comptuer she used to set up the iphone initially is about 7000 miles away. i have my computer but will i be able to back up her phone on my computer and then restore the new phone that way?

third question- regarding security. when you guys get your phone replaced do you wipe the phone clean before trading it in ? or do you leave all of your info on it? if you wipe it clean how do you do this exactly and would it be completely safe to do as long as you back up the phone before doing it? any chance of not being able to get the info back?
Yes she can possibly get her phone swapped by Apple if they deam it necessary.

Secondly just back her phone up to iCloud and she will be good.

Third I've had my iPhone 4 swapped twice and never erased anything, yet never had a problem. The first time I didn't think about it nor did I think I'd get a new phone. The second time I couldn't connect via the 30pin connector so it wasn't possible. Hope that helps.
Old May 6, 2012, 06:51 AM   #3
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

1) You can go to an Apple Store and ask them to look at it. Explain that you already tried resetting the next work settings, but that it doesn't help. They might offer you a new iPhone (in warranty).

2) I'd suggest using iCloud. Just set up an iCloud account in the settings menu and create a back-up. If she gets a new iPhone, all she needs to do is login on iCloud and the back-up will be used to restore the phone.

3) I always wipe it, if possible. It's not like I store government secrets on the phone or anything; it is just nobody's business to look through all your data. You can restore (and thus wipe) the phone via the settings app.
ThatsMeRight is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 05:09 PM   #4
VideoNewbie
macrumors 6502

regarding the icloud suggestions...my understanding of icloud (i havent even used it myself) is that it stores your info in a database which you can access wirelessly correct?

if i were to backup 5gb worth of data on icloud ...wipe the phone clean & then restore from backup via icloud ...would i essentially be downloading 5gb worth of data over a wireless connection? if so this process would take
a mighty long time right? it already takes quite a while when connecting via a firewire cable..

can icloud also be used if one were to run out of space? i dont see the convenience of icloud ? say i were to transfer 3gb worth of photos on icloud so i can free up some space on my iphone. if i wanted those pictures again i would have to re-download each one right? how is that different from say uploading to flickr or photobucket?
VideoNewbie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 05:17 PM   #5
twigman08
macrumors 6502

Apple replaced my iPhone 4 at the Genius bar and once I got the replacement they did a complete wipe on my old one right before I left.
twigman08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Bobby.e
macrumors 6502

They should have you wipe it before they replace it. You don't have to be in front of a computer to wipe the phone. If you go to setting, then general, then reset, FInally erase all content and settings. That will take the phone back to brand new and ask to connect to iTunes. They can send it back in that state.
Bobby.e is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone