Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShrubbySoup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
UK
Hi I have a few questions that I want to out into one thread and not take up so much space.

1) Can the MBA run 1080p blu ray rips/film

2) are there any 'essential' MBA accessories

3) could the MBA play Diablo III

4) Is SDXC a good source of extra storage

5) Does the airport express extend third party wireless connections or is it only airport xtreme?

6) is the SuperDrive viable for buying or is it pretty useless as most things can be downloaded now anyway?

Thanks, shrubby, I promise this is my last post of today

EthanMiller

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Rip them into a standard format and it'll play it fine.

An external monitor is nice, but nothing's truly essential. Portability is a big reason I have an Air, at least, and so carrying accessories is less than ideal. Fortunately, you really don't need anything for standard use.

3) could the MBA play Diablo III

No idea.

4) Is SDXC a good source of extra storage

Not as good as a bigger internal hard drive. It's fine, but it's slow. I'd recommend a bigger internal. Also, it's a hack, which isn't a bad thing.

5) Does the airport express extend third party wireless connections or is it only airport xtreme?

It'll connect to any wireless anything else will.

6) is the SuperDrive viable for buying or is it pretty useless as most things can be downloaded now anyway?

It's not useless, but there are cheaper options that are just as good if you need the CD/DVD capabilities. With the remote disk functionality of the Air, I've never needed to use an external on mine. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1777?viewlocale=en_US

ShrubbySoup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
UK
Rip them into a standard format and it'll play it fine.

An external monitor is nice, but nothing's truly essential. Portability is a big reason I have an Air, at least, and so carrying accessories is less than ideal. Fortunately, you really don't need anything for standard use.

No idea.

Not as good as a bigger internal hard drive. It's fine, but it's slow. I'd recommend a bigger internal. Also, it's a hack, which isn't a bad thing.

It'll connect to any wireless anything else will.

It's not useless, but there are cheaper options that are just as good if you need the CD/DVD capabilities. With the remote disk functionality of the Air, I've never needed to use an external on mine. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1777?viewlocale=en_US

You are a god, and I love you.
Thanks very much

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas

Yes it will only extend the extreme, time capsule, or another express.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
5)Yes it will only extend the extreme, time capsule, or another express.
That is not true. It will extend any regular 802.11 network. I have it extending my 802.11g network from a Linksys E3000 router running TomatoUSB firmware.

I download 1080p br rips in mkv format often. It plays them fine, as long as the rip is done well. Honestly though, 720 is fine for the 13" screen and takes up much less space.

Soft-case, and a screen protector in my opinion.

I've been planning to buy it as soon as I need it. It's been ~9 months and I haven't needed it yet. Also, there are cheaper alternatives out there. $80 is pretty outrageous for an external DVD burner. Newegg has a few USB bus-powered slim external DVD burners for under $40.

ShrubbySoup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
UK
That is not true. It will extend any regular 802.11 network. I have it extending my 802.11g network from a Linksys E3000 router running TomatoUSB firmware.

I download 1080p br rips in mkv format often. It plays them fine, as long as the rip is done well. Honestly though, 720 is fine for the 13" screen and takes up much less space.

I've been planning to buy it as soon as I need it. It's been ~9 months and I haven't needed it yet. Also, there are cheaper alternatives out there. $80 is pretty outrageous for an external DVD burner. Newegg has a few USB bus-powered slim external DVD burners for under $40.

Thanks dude

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas

Unless it changed. I worked at Apple and fiddled around with them. As of 2 years ago they did not extend others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.