Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 7, 2012, 12:11 AM   #1
-BigMac-
macrumors 6502

FireWire 800 to iPhone Connector

Hey guys,
probably has been asked before (couldnt find it though..)

Title says it all. Anyone know where to get one?
Got a Mac Pro, looking for quicker file transfers to my iPhone/iPad.

As always, thanks a lot
-BigMac- is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 12:29 AM   #2
screensaver400
macrumors 6502a

Not possible. One of the later models of the original iPod (I think it was the 5th gen) removed FireWire support, and it was never restored. No iOS device or current iPod includes FireWire chipsets.
screensaver400 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 12:31 AM   #3
-BigMac-
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
Not possible. One of the later models of the original iPod (I think it was the 5th gen) removed FireWire support, and it was never restored. No iOS device or current iPod includes FireWire chipsets.
wow. thats an eye opener!! ..and a seriously questionable decision by Apple.

Makes syncing 7000 songs a little bit of a pain..
-BigMac- is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 01:03 AM   #4
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BigMac- View Post
wow. thats an eye opener!! ..and a seriously questionable decision by Apple.

Makes syncing 7000 songs a little bit of a pain..
I think Apple is doing away with firewire in favor of Thunderbolt. Expect more incompatibility with firewire in the future.

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 01:06 AM   #5
-BigMac-
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormSD View Post
I think Apple is doing away with firewire in favor of Thunderbolt. Expect more incompatibility with firewire in the future.
not a good sign. at all.
lots of MP owners will be extremely angry about this.
Theres no thunderbolt on the current MP, if an upgraded model comes out.. updating it for a new model will cost several thousands.

Apple is really not looking out for the prosumer at all.

I'm not complaining about Thunderbolt, im complaining about Apples neglect of one of Mac Pros most useful current ports
-BigMac- is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 09:18 AM   #6
d0vr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
not a good sign. at all.
Theres no thunderbolt on the current MP, if an upgraded model comes out.. updating it for a new model will cost several thousands.

I'm not complaining about Thunderbolt, im complaining about Apples neglect of one of Mac Pros most useful current ports
Why would a prosumer need a Mac Pro? Get a MBP or an iMac if you're just a prosumer.

Didn't this change happen a long time ago?
Old May 7, 2012, 09:23 AM   #7
blueroom
macrumors 603

Quote:
not a good sign. at all.

Gotta move with the times. RS232, Centronics (parallel), Floppy, PS/2, FireWire, Optical drives, PATA, VGA... are all either gone or on the way out.

Since it's the Mac Pro I'm sure third party adapters will be available.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 09:27 AM   #8
RolandNights
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdover View Post
Why would a prosumer need a Mac Pro? Get a MBP or an iMac if you're just a prosumer.

Didn't this change happen a long time ago?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but n terms of upgradeability, the MBP and iMac can't even compare to the Mac Pro.

In any case, there has been speculation that Apple may be moving away from the Mac Pro. I haven't heard anything about Firewire 800 vs. Thunderbolt.
RolandNights is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

God, haven't we been over the whole Mac Pro debate before? Sadly, that is the only way - USB. Probably the only thing you can do is start it and then take a nice nap.
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 09:54 AM   #10
d0vr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandNights View Post
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but n terms of upgradeability, the MBP and iMac can't even compare to the Mac Pro.
Of course, it's one of the best features for a professional. But what does a prosumer need it for, that the alternatives can't do? Besides, you can buy thunderbolt to pci adapters if absolutely required, I know it's more expensive but hopefully it won't always be.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:31 AM   #11
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Your best bet, actually would be to sync over wireless if you have an 802.11n network, as you can get faster than USB 2.0 speeds on it (n maxes out at 600Mb/s if you configure your router for a 40MHz channel width). When I synced my iDevices for the first time, I just let them run wirelessly overnight.

Honestly, it's pretty clear that Apple's big play with these devices is to have iCloud and wireless syncing be the primary way to transfer content to and from them, over the long term. With gigabit WiFi on the horizon, I wouldn't be surprised at all if in the next few years, iPhones and iPad don't have a sync port at all, and have perhaps a small charge port (if they don't go with wireless charging outright).

In any case, Firewire was done away with on iPods and iPhones mainly because the majority of users weren't really using it, it was an added expense to include the chip, and also took up a lot of additional space.

Regarding firewire 800: there will be thunderbolt docks that include Firewire 800, USB 3.0 and other ports. So even if Apple chooses to do away with the port on the Macs themselves, third party docks will help you retain compatibility.

Quote:
This isn't really the place to argue the point (while the camera is impressive for what it is, I wouldn't call iPhones "prosumer" gear), but it's pretty clear that "Prosumers" would be best suited getting a higher-end iMac. Mac Pros, too have their uses for professional applications. In any case, Apple hasn't said either way what they're going to do about FireWire or about the Mac Pro line, so I think ranting about it is a little premature.

Tim Cook's statements lately have been a bit reassuring though. Apple doesn't seem to be going in the "Desktop is dead" direction that Microsoft seems to be going for.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:42 AM   #12
WRP
macrumors 6502a

They went to USB on ipods when they wanted to make them easily compatible with windows systems as most don't have FW. It was actually the smartest thing they could have done.

I have an old firewire wall plug for an old ipod and it won't even charge the iphone or newer ipods.
WRP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 01:14 PM   #13
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
...and, in any case, firewire support was just for charging.

Quote:
Citation? They're apparently not a significant enough group for Apple to separately develop firewire sync.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 03:58 PM   #14
screensaver400
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
...and, in any case, firewire support was just for charging.
No, actually. FireWire allowed for both syncing and charging on early iPods, and then only charging for a time until that support was also removed (the original iPhone and iPod touch supported FireWire charging, but not syncing).

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...wire-usb2.html
screensaver400 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
800, connector, firewire, iphone, ipod