Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

touchtoplay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2012
Hello everyone,
So I have an iPhone 3GS currently jailbroken on firmware 4.3.3 (8J2). It's been awhile since I've jailbroken so I'm a little lost but I need to restore my iphone and re-jailbreak it. I know I have to check if I have my SHSH blobs saved but I can't check it from the wifi of my phone so I'm not sure how to check it on my computer.

That being said I have to get through this process without wifi access on my iPhone which I can't remember if that was required or not during jailbreaking. Also another important question, is SSH only enabled if I download the addon via Cydia after jailbreaking? In other words, is that capability only open by Cydia or does it unlock once I jailbreak? I would prefer to keep it locked at all times since I have no need for it.

I'm guessing I also have to download the new iTunes also?

Also, how do I go about backing up data that I want to restore? I'm pretty sure my contacts are on my sim so those should be fine (Using t-Mobile btw). I also want to backup songs, text messages, calendar events, photos, and notes. Can I just use iTunes backup for this one and then restore on the new jailbroken firmware or will it not be compatible?

BlueRaider

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Hello everyone,
So I have an iPhone 3GS currently jailbroken on firmware 4.3.3 (8J2). It's been awhile since I've jailbroken so I'm a little lost but I need to restore my iphone and re-jailbreak it. I know I have to check if I have my SHSH blobs saved but I can't check it from the wifi of my phone so I'm not sure how to check it on my computer.

That being said I have to get through this process without wifi access on my iPhone which I can't remember if that was required or not during jailbreaking. Also another important question, is SSH only enabled if I download the addon via Cydia after jailbreaking? In other words, is that capability only open by Cydia or does it unlock once I jailbreak? I would prefer to keep it locked at all times since I have no need for it.

I'm guessing I also have to download the new iTunes also?

Also, how do I go about backing up data that I want to restore? I'm pretty sure my contacts are on my sim so those should be fine (Using t-Mobile btw). I also want to backup songs, text messages, calendar events, photos, and notes. Can I just use iTunes backup for this one and then restore on the new jailbroken firmware or will it not be compatible?

WiFi access for your phone doesn't matter, you do have to have internet access though for your computer to be able to restore your phone. iTunes has to "phone home" or the restore process will fail.
The first thing I would do is to check to see if you have an old bootrom 3gs or new bootrom 3gs. If it's a new bootrom then you need to figure out which firmware versions you have SHSH blobs saved for. Download tinyumbrella on your computer and check to see which SHSH blobs you have saved with cydia. The good news is that if you want to stay on iOS 4 Apple is still signing iOS 4.1.

As far as the unlock goes you just need to keep in mind that you'll have to restore to a custom NO_BB firmware via Sn0wbreeze or Redsn0w. If you're phone is running one of the unlockable factory 3GS Basebands it's all the more important to update to the custom firmware because you don't want to lose the unlock. If you're running the 6.15.00 iPad baseband then you have to update with a custom firmware or your baseband will be in an inconsistent state which forces you to have to reflash.

If you could give some info about your phone, ie old bootrom/new bootrom and which baseband version you have it would be helpful.

Last edited:

touchtoplay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2012
Thank you for replying. I believe I have the 3GS with the new bootrom if memory serves me right but I definitely know I'm on the older/not iPad baseband. Just in case, how do I check the bootrom?

I do want to hacktivate it though. And importantly, I don't care about going to the newer firmwares, staying on 4.3.3 is completely fine with me. So I'm not sure how to go about doing this. But I do know that I want to:

1) Keep files like music, notes, calendar events, photos (Not sure if I can backup wifi passswords?)
2) Jailbreak (Obviously)
3) Hacktivate my iPhone
4) Keep SSH off at all costs since I'm on campus

Not sure the best way to go about this. I know there are tutorials everywhere but jailbreaking seems to be very specific to model, firmware, baseband, etc. So I would just like guidance. Do I just download TinyUmbrella and connect my iPhone via USB to see the blobs? I'm pretty sure I have some blobs saved but can't remember which. If I don't have 4.3.3 blobs, can I just do it right then without having to connect my iPhone to wifi? (I do have access to computer internet)

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
1) make a backup in itunes, it will save all your personal stuff and settings

2) Open cydia, at the top you'll see which SHSH's cydia has, you can also download TinyUmbrella and check and see what SHSH's are on there, also in the advanced tab check to see that the Set Host to Cydia is CHECKED.
I guess you don't need an unlock, so dowload 4.3.3 IPSW from here:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750
Put your phone in DFU and ALT-restore(mac) or SHIFT-restore(win) in itunes with your stock IPSW.
Now jailbreak with redsn0w 09.9b9d from here:
http://www.redsn0w.ws/direct-links-to-download-all-versions-of-redsn0w-for-mac-os-x

3) in the process select activate to hacktivate the phone.

Now restore your itunes back-up.

4) Change your default alpine password to have ssh available, see cydia for instructions.

touchtoplay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2012
I forgot that blobs have to be saved on a certain computer and I saved my blobs on another laptop so I just saved them again now.

It gave me a message box when starting up the program saying "Request SHSH from Cydia is currently set" and that it can cause issues. They did save successfully though as I see 4 of them in the 'All Saved SHSHs' box (4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3.3, and 4.3.5).

The second one though says I have set "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit". Then at the end it says if I use stock apple firmware my baseband will likely update which worries me. Am I doing anything wrong and if I used the firmware 4.3.3 on iclarified will it update my baseband?

Also it says my current installed baseband is 06.15.00-6.4_M3S2 so I can still unlock right? And the bootloader is 6.4_M3S2 btw.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.