Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/31/rapper.slain/index.html
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Jam Master Jay, the DJ of the longtime rap group Run-DMC, was shot in the head and killed Wednesday night in a Queens recording studio, according to New York police.

Another man, Urieco Rinco, 25, was shot in the leg and taken to a local hospital, police said.

Police are investigating the shooting, which took place inside a studio on Merrick Boulevard about 7:30 p.m.

No arrests have been made in the case.

Jam Master Jay was born January 21,1965, as Jason Mizell in the middle-class Hollis neighborhood of Queens, New York, according to the group's Web site. He linked up with Run (Joseph Simmons) and D.M.C. (Darryl McDaniels) -- also from Hollis -- scratching turntables for the two rappers who had just graduated from high school.

A year later, in 1983, the group released its first single, "It's Like That" with a B-side, "Sucker MC's," which spawned a phrase used in rap songs decades later.

Known for their loose Adidas-brand shoes and thumping beats, the trio is credited with beginning the current trend of combining rap music and rock 'n' roll in their hit remake of Aerosmith's "Walk this Way" in 1986, teaming up with the band's lead singer Steven Tyler and guitarist Joe Perry.

The shooting death was met with shock by the group's fans who likened Run-DMC to the "Beatles" of rap music.

"May Jay remains an inspiration for us all -- a man with vision, creativity, generosity, and talent, one who condemned and spoke against violence, and was taken away from us, and his family, far too soon," one fan posted on the group's Web site.

News of Mizell's death evoked memories of the shooting deaths of rappers Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G. in the late 1990s.

Unlike other rap artists whose lyrics glorified gangsters and "thug life," Run-DMC tried to distance itself from that image.

"They say we're putting out bad messages to the kids," Run told "Rolling Stone" in a 1986 interview, in response to violent outbursts at several of the group's concerts. "Our image is clean, man. Kids beat each other's heads every day. They are fighting because they were fighting before I was born ... we're role models."

Several of Run-DMC's songs boast about Jam Master Jay's DJ skills, including "Jam Master Jammin'" on the group's 1985 album, "King of Rock":

He has a little soul, to rock n' roll

Every record that he touches turns to gold

He's well conducted, self-instructed

His styles were plied, heavily constructed

Mechanically inclined, and if you don't mind

We add spice to your life, time after time

And think about times, where he's a long laster

We rock our rhymes for the Jam-Master

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I don't think there is a single genre of music that has seen so much violence - it is truly amazing. I'm sorry to see another artist has been killed by what will probably end up being over something very stupid. Damn, not right at all......:mad: :(

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I couldn't believe it when I heard last night. Truly sad and shocking. I now more then ever feel that rap artists need to realize where there music is going and where their listeners are going and doing. They need to ease back on the 'I'm packing' in every verse and promote a more positive vibe. I hope the 'gansta rap' era is winding down, and we can get back to the roots of real hip hop. Although, one root was just shot in the head.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I was hoping that Rap music had outgrown all this...*sigh*

What's shocking about this is that he was not one of those in-your-face, suck my **** rappers. He was old school, and one of the reasons that rap music has succeeded as it has.

Why would someone do this? Jealousy...?

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
I'm truly sad about his death. I met him and he was actually really cool, none of that "I'm big and rich" attitude. The Hip Hop community has truly lost a great artist.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
"I don't think there is a single genre of music that has seen so much violence"

And why is that do you think? :rolleyes:

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
It's ****ing sick killing someone like him. I think the first Rap music I heard was from Run DMC. It's not fair that people with such influence and talent are often the one's who die like this.

I wouldn't even compare B.I.G. and Tupac to this guy, they're just ego boy MCs rapping lyrically stagnent crap about having a lack of respect for women, glorifying violence and bragging about their earnings from the mindless lyrical cheese they churned out.

I'm not saying any loss of life is worth more than another but when it's their legacy to music as a whole that's on the table, Tupac and and Biggie Smalls don't even have a legacy to speak of. I hate rap music these days, Run DMC/Jam Master Jay, Grand Master Flash, Public Enemy, Afrika Bambaata and to a lesser extent, NWA had a lot to say and a lot to be credited for as far as RAP/Hip Hop is concerned. All the modern day "Rnb with a rapper" type stuff is total crap and isn't going influence anybody. I'd class cypress hill and rage against the machine as RAP/Rock, that's a whole different thing entirely and they're masters of it.

And think about times, where he's a long laster

We rock our rhymes for the Jam-Master

pantagruel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2002
here and there
This is a real shame, but don't make the mistake of comparing this to the deaths of biggie and 2pac because the only things similar is that they were both involved in hiphop (not that i'd call what big and tupac were doing hiphop) but thats it. jam master and run dmc had no fueds going on with anyone and they werent a part of the west coast east coast bull**** (which seems to have setteled down anyways.) This is a real loss to hiphop and I hope we can get some details and why this went down soon.

peace jam master......:(

ear2ear

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2002
Toronto
This is foul.

This has nothing to do with Hip-Hop. Jam Master Jay didn't get killed because of some bull**** lyrics and petty beef. This is a happily married man with three young children who was a pioneer of entire culture.

To associate his death with a general ignorance of what Hip-Hop is all about is just wrong. How can you criticize a form of music when all you know about is what Viacom (MTV, BET, VH1) feeds you? This is not the place, and is certainly not the time.

I know my thoughts aren't as organized as they could be right now, but there's a lot of people out there who grew up with Run-DMC. I remember listening to "Mary, Mary" when I was in grade 2 and worrying about my mother hearing that the artists used the word, "damn". And Jay was THE DJ. He was the first to really hold it down. He didn't just play records, he made himself the show.

This sucks.

peace

"Goddamn that DJ made my day."

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
This is truly a tragedy. I was a big fan of Run DMC when I was younger. I stopped listening to rap when it started going "gangsta", when they stopped talking about "the street", and started glorifying violence. Of course, what did I know, I was just some small town/suburban white boy. Plus when I grew up, my music tastes changed. But I always liked Run DMC, they always seemed like real "artists". I just saw something about them on TV awhile ago. They came from nothing, and instead of losing everything to drugs or extravagance, built nice lives for themselves. Run is a preacher now, isn't he? They were pioneers, and helped to usher in a new kind of music (whether you like Rap/Hip-Hop or not).

Sorry to get so mushy, but don't think this was just some violent, wannabe criminal rapper who got shot. No one deserves that, but he was just a guy, with a family, trying to live a (fairly) normal life. He just happened to be a musician.

And a damn good one at that.

He will be missed, even by us middle-class white boys.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
At first, when I heard about the article and CNN, I thought it would be one of those spam reports, such as Britney Spears and the car accident. It was fake and removed...

But a search on the Altavista News with "Master Jay" fills up almost the entire first page of results with this.

Honestly, I never knew MJ, or his music. But I can tell he is well liked and respected. I find it ironic on three counts that it happened in NYC, today:
(1) October 31, where any insane people seem to become threatening
(2) NYC: Birthplace of the corpse floormat
(3) Someone against violence, especially in the lyrics, is murdered violently.

That rather pisses me off. Do you have to be a rapper spilling lyrics about killing others to stay alive? :rolleyes: :mad:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by DavidCL23
Who gives a S_%*$& this guy was trash neways.

Thank you for displaying complete ignorance on the subject and marring an otherwise respectful thread with trash like that.

What would make you say something like that in the first place? What's your basis for calling him trash?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by DavidCL23
Who gives a S_%*$& this guy was trash neways.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Thank you for displaying complete ignorance on the subject and marring an otherwise respectful thread with trash like that.

What would make you say something like that in the first place? What's your basis for calling him trash?

He doesn't have any reason to say this. This is the same guy who posted something in the For Sale/Trade section about how he just bought a PC notebook, and how much better it is than a PowerBook. Flame as you might people, I have a feeling he just posted this as flamebait and probably won't be coming back to this thread.

I feel sorry for people like him who have no value for human life, because their life is so pathetic they have to come her and harass us.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by solvs
He doesn't have any reason to say this. This is the same guy who posted something in the For Sale/Trade section about how he just bought a PC notebook, and how much better it is than a PowerBook. Flame as you might people, I have a feeling he just posted this as flamebait and probably won't be coming back to this thread.

I feel sorry for people like him who have no value for human life, because their life is so pathetic they have to come her and harass us.

I assumed so, but I thought I'd at least give him the chance to explain himself...regardless of how slight the chance is that he will reply.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

I assumed so, but I thought I'd at least give him the chance to explain himself...regardless of how slight the chance is that he will reply.

I have nothing to do right now (can't sleep, still on a candy high), so I took a look at some of his previous posts. I didn't go through all of them (I'm not that bored), but most of them seemed to be questions about PowerBooks and iPods and some other stuff. Nothing bad. I don't know if something, or someone, set him off or what, and I can understand being frustrated with Apple's current line-up (his other post that p*ssed a lot of people off), but this was uncalled for. Have a little respect, Man.

If you are reading this David, feel free to jump in with your side.

Just don't say "I was only kidding", because I don't think that'll cut it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The quality of trolls this site has attracted lately is embarrassing...

[Edit - Anti troll remark removed]

macmax

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2002
caribbean
Even thou i am a r&r man myself , i liked these guys.
I even had the chance to talk to them and the fat boys back in the 80's.

They were vacationing here in the caribbean.

Sorry to hear he is gone.

My condolences to his family and friends and i just wish that we as a race can stop all this hate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.