Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheOriginalKi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Belfast
I am considering getting an Apple TV 3 purely for mirroring from my macbook pro which I hope to leave in the office while streaming to the Apple TV in the living room. Do I have to leave the lid open or can I close it? Assuming I have a Bluetooth keyboard and wireless mouse connected and the power cable in.

So you are basically wanting to work with your macbook in clamshell mode... Yeah I wish that were possible too... but I don't know. In fact I would probably purchase a bluetooth keyboard and trackpad if this were possible.

another feature I wish would/could be implemented is dual monitors using airplay. APPLE MAKE IT SO!

After they fix the issues with a single monitor please :)

But yes, multiple monitors would rock

are you referring to issue with full screen apps? (I've never actually dual monitored my Mac, so I don't know if there are any other issues)

I'm happy to report that I just submitted both of these requests to Apple. :) I figure that would be a more likely place for Apple to read my requests than this MR forum. :p edit: for good measure I submitted the request both as a ML feature and an ATV feature

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
are you referring to issue with full screen apps? (I've never actually dual monitored my Mac, so I don't know if there are any other issues)
No, I meant airplay mirroring. High amounts of lag, non-1080p for MBA, no TV only option, etc. To me, those should be resolved prior to adding a second receiver option. I was extremely disappointed with it when I tried it out.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Has anyone been able to test this out? Looking to buy Apple TV for this purpose.
I'm too lazy to try. :D

I suspect our macs will simply sleep. Otherwise, if one would have AirPlay on by accident, then close their lid thinking they were putting in sleep... we'll, Apple says we're all stupid and we can't be doing that now, can we?

Would be cool though.

Of course using dual monitors in full screen mode would be cool too.

Nevw

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2013
Yes it's possible, I do this using the very handy 'NoSleep' utility - http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37991/nosleep

Just click on your Zzz icon in the menu bar, start up your video, then shut your macbook. Voila.

Will it work with running software as well as a Video.

Intention is to start software, connect to Apple TV and the apple TV Box plugged into a TV with a HDMI Cable,
when connected close the lid and use a Bluetooth Keyboard and USB Mouse.

to control hte software.

Nev

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Will it work with running software as well as a Video.

Intention is to start software, connect to Apple TV and the apple TV Box plugged into a TV with a HDMI Cable,
when connected close the lid and use a Bluetooth Keyboard and USB Mouse.

to control hte software.

Nev
Anyone have any idea on this? I have NoSleep installed, it allows audio to continue, so my MacBook isn't going to sleep, but i'm not getting video, just a black screen.

skierguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
you can use dual monitors in airplay. Im using it right now. You go into display preferences and then when you are in airplay mode, you click the tab called arrangements and uncheck the box that says mirror displays, thus separating them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.