Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
As a non-American reader, does anyone else think that US network specific posts should be placed in the iOS blog, rather than main page?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
As a non-American reader, does anyone else think that US network specific posts should be placed in the iOS blog, rather than main page?

Apple is an American Company and MacRumors is an American website, so no.

I really think that this is just a natural movement for wireless carriers, but as others have mentioned, there is no way AT&T is going to let their customers save money. Just glad I am still grandfathered into the unlimited plan

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Apple is an American Company and MacRumors is an American website, so no.

Sorry, but this is the worst response I've heard. Apple also sells it's iPhone to some 90 countries, on hundreds of networks, and Macrumors is accessible around the world. What makes American networks so special?

How many other carriers support data sharing? I've only recently discovered that our family account had sharing already in it by default. A whole 9GB (6 x 1.5GB) of data I could've been using every month.

AFAIK, Optus and Telstra here in Australia support it.

You wouldn't find the information here, since Macrumors seems to only believe that American networks are worthy of reporting on.

Last edited by a moderator:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Sorry, but this is the worst response I've heard. Apple also sells it's iPhone to some 90 countries, on hundreds of networks, and Macrumors is accessible around the world. What makes American networks so special?

There have been a lot of stories about non-American iPhone developments. They get less hits. Macrumors is a business. Give your customers more of what they want.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

I guess i should have said, deal with it, because it's not going to change.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009

So, Macrumors (.com, mind you) must then cater to all countries in which Apple products are sold, simply because you find it unfair that American news is covered on an American website?

I'd like to know what T-Mobile Germany is doing, since I live in Germany. Do I demand Macrumors and 9to5mac to cover T-Mobile Germany? No, I go to apfeltalk.de

Here, **************************: http://www.mactalk.com.au
(it's in English!)

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
If anything it should be the opposite, and no-US carrier specific threads should not appear on the front page.

But, I think things can just stay how they are now.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Just skip over it.
News topics that are non-US are also posted on the front page too, you know.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

No. Most readers here are American. Apple is American. In short, American news pertains to a ton of readers. MR has to adress the appropriate audiences

If you don't like it, you can always gloss over it...It is what I do with news that doesn't pertain to me.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Many of the responses were in the right vein, but here's an official response: Yes, Apple is a U.S. company and a majority of our readers come from the U.S. Consequently, there is significantly greater overall interest in topics affecting U.S. customers.

Today has certainly been a carrier-heavy news day, but that's the way the news flows sometimes.

Not everything will appeal to every reader and that's fine. We've got tons of people waiting for Mac news, but things have been very scant on that front despite things seeming to be coming together for a huge number of updates.

We work with what we've got, and experience helps guide us as to what people will be most interested in reading about and discussing. We're not perfect in our decisions, but we do our best.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
So, Macrumors (.com, mind you) must then cater to all countries in which Apple products are sold, simply because you find it unfair that American news is covered on an American website?

I do not think it is unfair, but I think that the carrier specific news should be moved to the iOS blog such that Americans are still able to view it, and the main page does not get clogged.

Just skip over it.
News topics that are non-US are also posted on the front page too, you know.

Yes, I understand this, but non-US carrier-specific news is not. Although I am not wishing for this to happen, I believe that it should be moved to the iOS blog as it more or less concerns iOS only.

Many of the responses were in the right vein, but here's an official response: Yes, Apple is a U.S. company and a majority of our readers come from the U.S. Consequently, there is significantly greater overall interest in topics affecting U.S. customers.

Today has certainly been a carrier-heavy news day, but that's the way the news flows sometimes.

Not everything will appeal to every reader and that's fine. We've got tons of people waiting for Mac news, but things have been very scant on that front despite things seeming to be coming together for a huge number of updates.

We work with what we've got, and experience helps guide us as to what people will be most interested in reading about and discussing. We're not perfect in our decisions, but we do our best.

Thanks for the response, WildCowboy; I appreciate it amongst the other flaming replies. As mentioned above, I just think that carrier-specific news could be moved to the iOS blog as is concerns iOS.

Ishmumrhmn

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2012
I really don't think Apple knows that there are more countries in the world other than USA.

Siri does not work fully outside the states

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
To be fair sometimes there are articles specifically about carriers from other nations, not often but they still get posted. Not every article can cater to everyone, just don't read it.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

You obviously do not know that America is the center of the universe!

Ergo, it makes perfect sense that everything American should have a place of prominence.

You foreigners...really!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Go Ahead…F*** With Me.png
    Go Ahead…F*** With Me.png
    612.4 KB · Views: 88

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
I really don't think Apple knows that there are more countries in the world other than USA.

Siri does not work fully outside the states

... From Apple itself, in case you weren't to believe me:
Siri works exclusively on iPhone 4S. Siri understands and can speak the following languages:

English (United States, United Kingdom, Australia)
French (France)
German (Germany)
Japanese (Japan)

The only thing that is not functional is finding businesses etc, which I can only assume is not completely in Apple's control, unless they were to log all businesses around the world themselves.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Stay on topic, and please leave the PRSI stuff out of the discussion.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Personally, I would like to keep seeing carrier news on the front page, as my cluttered life usually keeps me lurking on the mainpage and mainpage forum threads only of late. I can definitely see the OPs point, but I think that iPhone carrier info is important enough to qualify for the main feed (particularily in a slow news week).

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yes, I understand this, but non-US carrier-specific news is not. Although I am not wishing for this to happen, I believe that it should be moved to the iOS blog as it more or less concerns iOS only.

They try to get other carrier news on the page too, but they won't get everything.

In essence, that's like going to apfeltalk.de and asking them to put German carrier news on a different pane since there isn't any news about Vodafone or Telstra.

After all, this is an American website.

Ishmumrhmn

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2012
You obviously do not know that America is the center of the universe!

Ergo, it makes perfect sense that everything American should have a place of prominence.

You foreigners...really!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"America is the center of the universe"

where'd you get that from? Wikipedia?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.