Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1
kangsw2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
iPad 3 issues (addressed from executive relations)

I sent an email to Tim Cook to initiate a service from executive relations.

the guy(Nelson) told me he is going to give a notice on the order ( so the factory worker/manager will check for the dead pixel, dust, yellow tint, etc)

I got an iPad today ( guess what? )

This iPad had three big dusts in the middle of the screen and green pixel and little crack on the bottom side of the iPad (wow)

So, I called him again, told the issue.

Now he said this is normal in the manufacturing process and there is no guarantee for the customer to receive normal one.

Please keep in mind I will disregard anything that is not related on this thread and this thread is for informative purpose.. not for some people who start to fight


UPDATED:

Executive relation said " Apple do not make a perfect device for your satisfaction. There are devices

that have dusts, debris, dead pixels, tints but these meets our manufacture standard and

the reason if applecare or genius bar exchange /refurb for these variation, this is solely for customer service".

He mentioned about the issue what we call "defect" is a simple variation from factory. So there is NO! DEFECTS EVER from APPLE DEVICES.

I also told this guy about posting this on Macrumors thread. He said " if our device that has variation does not meet people's standard, you can move on but returning and exchange or anything is up to them"

Last edited by kangsw2; May 8, 2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: updated from another conversation,
kangsw2 is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 12:44 PM   #2
rkahl
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Thanks and please keep us informed... along with the other 60 threads just like this on the 1st page.
__________________
Too much!
rkahl is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lindisfarena
Can you post a picture of it?
Eadfrith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 12:58 PM   #4
pward
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
You didn't really believe that someone at the factory would specifically check an iPad specifically for you did you? And then track that iPad through packaging, despatch and shipping so that you receive that specific device?

Never going to happen.
pward is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 01:05 PM   #5
kangsw2
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadfrith View Post
Can you post a picture of it?
Already sent back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
You didn't really believe that someone at the factory would specifically check an iPad specifically for you did you? And then track that iPad through packaging, despatch and shipping so that you receive that specific device?

Never going to happen.
Oh? Do you work for executive relation? if not, please do not create non sense..
kangsw2 is offline   -13 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 01:20 PM   #6
spcdust
macrumors 6502a
 
spcdust's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Alas, whilst dealing with Executive Relations is a good route to go I had the exact same experience when I had issues with my 2009 iMac - the replacement was worse than the one they were replacing. My advice though is to keep on good terms with your contact, express your disappointment and they will bend over backwards to assist you. It may take longer than you anticipated but hopefully it will get sorted.
__________________
27" Quad Core i7 iMac (Sandy Bridge), 12GB RAM, 2 TB HD
spcdust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lindisfarena
According to this website it was very much a "Plan B" hardware wise.

Last edited by Eadfrith; May 8, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Eadfrith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:43 PM   #8
sinser
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
To me the answer was fair. Did you really expect Apple to specifically manufactur a PERFECT device to meet your own quality standards ? This is an industrial, mass made product and there will always be some deviations of one product from an other.
sinser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:56 PM   #9
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadfrith View Post
According to this website it was very much a "Plan B" hardware wise.
Yes, they had to choose between a retina display that was available to be manufactured and a retina display that wasn't. In the end, you still got a retina display. So Plan B ended up being really the only available plan.
__________________
iPhone 5 16 GB black, iPhone 5 16 GB white, iPad Air 32 GB Verizon, 16 GB iPad Mini White, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic 120 GB, Macbook, 3rd Gen Apple TV, 2012 Mac Mini
spiderman0616 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 03:17 PM   #10
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangsw2 View Post
Already sent back!



Oh? Do you work for executive relation? if not, please do not create non sense..
Nonsense is expecting to get special VIP treatment above everyone else.
__________________
- "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." --Satchel Paige
TheWheelMan is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 04:16 PM   #11
kangsw2
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWheelMan View Post
Nonsense is expecting to get special VIP treatment above everyone else.
There is nothing mentioned about getting VIP treatment and I am posting this to let people know. Nonsense to see your reply.
kangsw2 is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Sylon
macrumors 68000
 
Sylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan/Ohio, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinser View Post
To me the answer was fair. Did you really expect Apple to specifically manufactur a PERFECT device to meet your own quality standards ? This is an industrial, mass made product and there will always be some deviations of one product from an other.

Not to mention, they are made by irregular employees picked up from outside on a daily basis, barely given any training, then asked to make the most popular piece of tech for the masses. Thats a receipe for disaster, yet somehow Apple has gotten away with it all these years without too much trouble. You are not going to get perfection like this, but they seem to be doing alright so far.
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro | 64GB iPhone 6 | 32GB iPad Air | TV
Sylon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 04:52 PM   #13
The Special One
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangsw2 View Post
I sent an email to Tim Cook to initiate a service from executive relations.

the guy(Nelson) told me he is going to give a notice on the order ( so the factory worker/manager will check for the dead pixel, dust, yellow tint, etc)

I got an iPad today ( guess what? )

This iPad had three big dusts in the middle of the screen and green pixel and little crack on the bottom side of the iPad (wow)

So, I called him again, told the issue.

Now he said this is normal in the manufacturing process and there is no guarantee for the customer to receive normal one.

Please keep in mind I will disregard anything that is not related on this thread and this thread is for informative purpose.. not for some people who start to fight


UPDATED:

Executive relation said " Apple do not make a perfect device for your satisfaction. There are devices

that have dusts, debris, dead pixels, tints but these meets our manufacture standard and

the reason if applecare or genius bar exchange /refurb for these variation, this is solely for customer service".

He mentioned about the issue what we call "defect" is a simple variation from factory. So there is NO! DEFECTS EVER from APPLE DEVICES.

I also told this guy about posting this on Macrumors thread. He said " if our device that has variation does not meet people's standard, you can move on but returning and exchange or anything is up to them"


In my experience their customer service is pretty good. They swapped out two for me and were pretty up front that all of these devices have some screen issues. I think it is new technology with QC issues plain and simple. They will get it right next generation, but this one is the guinea pig. Sooo, you either get one that you can live with, or stay with the 2 until the 4 comes out. This one is all about compromises that you either make or move on.
The Special One is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 06:25 PM   #14
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Agreeing with "The Special One" above:
Like I said at the release of this iPad, this device is a "crossover" type one. Like the first ipad was. ie...they are seeing how many retina displays they can mass produce, pulling statistics from complaints such as those seen here and balancing it out against produced numbers etc etc. It's the marketing that still pulls the customers in...we, the consumers are the guinea pigs. Apple act like they care about us, the customer, but they actually don't....if you believe they do, you are mistaken. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Next device, they will have worked out the screen issues and the device should be better overall. Until then, either you live with the problems, or you don't buy one...your choice! I am pretty happy with my current iPad, the screen is good, it does have a little "tint" but I don't care. I know I ll sell it in 10 months and get the next one, so putting myself through this replacement cycle is not something I want to do, worry about or fret over. It's only going to sit in my apartment and be a handy coffee table device. Hardly seems worth the hassle of exchanging again and again. The novelty is fast wearing off. The iPhone is more important to me.

Last edited by Defender2010; May 8, 2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Grammar
Defender2010 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 06:34 PM   #15
Ipadfever
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
To the op , did they ship it from china?
Ipadfever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 06:42 PM   #16
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Do you go actively looking for the dust or is it something you just notice without trying?
Fruit Cake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 06:48 PM   #17
kangsw2
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipadfever View Post
to the op , did they ship it from china?
shenzhen cn
kangsw2 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 06:54 PM   #18
rmeadejr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Francisco-Twin Peaks
I had the total opposite experience when I emailed Tim Cook. I hope everything works out for you.
rmeadejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 08:08 PM   #19
vjacques
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
pretty much same as op's experience here. the replacement "sent" by executive relations was absolutely horrible, one of the worst ipad 3 units i've experienced.
vjacques is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 08:41 PM   #20
Ipadfever
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjacques View Post
pretty much same as op's experience here. the replacement "sent" by executive relations was absolutely horrible, one of the worst ipad 3 units i've experienced.
Where did yours come from in china and did you return it?
Ipadfever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 08:58 PM   #21
Madjobs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Origially posted by spcdust

"Alas, whilst dealing with Executive Relations is a good route to go I had the exact same experience when I had issues with my 2009 iMac - the replacement was worse than the one they were replacing. My advice though is to keep on good terms with your contact, express your disappointment and they will bend over backwards to assist you. It may take longer than you anticipated but hopefully it will get sorted."

What a statement-wtf
So just keep your pos ,be happy,be a good fanboy and hopefully apple uses lubricant while they are screwing you.
This is unbelievable,again apple taking the route of gm in 60's and 70's
800 bucks for a device and put up with this crap?
Ok fanboys-not on my dime
Madjobs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 12:29 AM   #22
vjacques
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipadfever View Post
Where did yours come from in china and did you return it?
yes, sent from china. i returned it immediately and asked for it to be sent back to my executive relations representative.
vjacques is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 02:47 AM   #23
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
If you really buy the whole "executive customer relations" title, you really are a fool. They are still just customer service staff....dressed in a silly title, and they really don't give a damn about what quality of screen you get, as long as you get out of their hair. In the UK, even Carphone Warehouse and Currys/Pc World have these titles, and it means diddly squat! Their knowledge and skills are just as low as any other staff member, but if you are happy to have the wool pulled over your eyes, go ahead.
Now, I am off to speak to the Starbucks executive customer relations staff as my latte is a bit weak. They are standing behind the counter as I speak....oh, didn't you just make this drink? (Badly)
Some people will buy anything someone on the phone says, really, get real it's 2012! If they really cared about your iPad quality the replacement would be perfect, but all they do is hit a button and send a new random one to you. No executive required! Pah!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeadejr View Post
I had the total opposite experience when I emailed Tim Cook. I hope everything works out for you.
What did he do then? Drive over to San Fran and blow you?
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 02:54 AM   #24
rmeadejr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Francisco-Twin Peaks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
No, I am a realist. Stop living in a fantasy world.
This fantasy world(as you call it) got me a perfect iPad. So I will keep living in it. Thank you...
rmeadejr is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 03:00 AM   #25
mcdj
macrumors 604
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
I got involved with one of those executive relations guys. I didn't get any offer to have a hand picked iPad sent to me. He asked me to email pics of the screen, which I did. He said he was going to forward them to "engineering"...aka the guy in the next booth at the call center. Engineering reported back that my clearly dodgy screen was "within spec". The upside is they didn't spin my wheels by sending me a worse one.

Apple CS talks a warm fuzzy game, but they're no where near as warm and fuzzy as they were 5 years ago. They're too big now. They can't afford warm and fuzzy on the scale of customers they have these days.

Wait a minute. They're a multi billion dollar company, and by all accounts, they're idly sitting on the majority of their vast fortune. Aside from creative tax sheltering and a few million here and there in R&D, what are they doing with these billions? They can afford to keep up the warm and fuzzy, and the QC. They seem to be choosing otherwise.
mcdj is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WiFi AC - when will issues be addressed? Ifti MacBook Air 10 Jul 28, 2013 06:15 PM
Executive Relations Issue bwhli iPhone 7 Oct 24, 2012 03:07 AM
Email to Tim Cook (Executive Relations) mattkidd MacBook Pro 33 Aug 14, 2012 10:56 PM
Yoobao executive leather iPad 2 or 3 case...fit iPad 1? dsskid iPad Accessories 1 Jul 27, 2012 02:45 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC