Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 8, 2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Jessay
macrumors member

Should I return my iPad 3?

Okay, so I got my iPad 3 two weeks ago this Friday. I plug it in my computer and get an error saying that the USB device is drawing too much power and to unplug it immediately. I found out the USB is defected because my old USB chords work fine with it. I haven't even used the new wall plug because I am paranoid and afraid that it may be defected, too. Also, I did notice backlight bleeding on my screen, which I find to be quite odd because it is a retina display. I also believe my screen has a rosy tint to it. What should I do?
Old May 8, 2012, 02:32 PM   #2
musty345
macrumors regular

It says that the iPad 3 has a 70% larger battery here http://www.intomobile.com/2012/03/09...attery-ipad-2/
I'd definitely let Apple take a look at it now just to make sure. Just go to a store and see what they say. If you can't get to a store then I'd try see if the screen problems go away after two weeks and then send it to them.
21.5" iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPod Classic
musty345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:32 PM   #3
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a

I don't think the USB thing has anything to do with the iPad being defective, it's just letting you know that that USB port doesn't output enough power to charge the iPad. Not all USB ports are able to power devices, especially devices that need as much power as the iPad. And I don't understand why you would think that has anything to do with plugging it into the wall? If that was a defect, instead of avoiding it you'd need to find out if it was broken so that you could take the iPad back.

As for the bleeding, you have to decide that for yourself. But I'm pretty sure the USB message has nothing to do with a problem with the iPad.
Old May 8, 2012, 02:56 PM   #4
sparkhill
macrumors regular

Your computer USB port is not putting out enough power to charge the iPad; you need about 10W and some older computers can't provide that much power.

As far as the rosy tint goes, that is your call.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:10 PM   #5
robeddie
macrumors 6502a

Better yet. Take it back, get a refund, and get a real computer you can do much more with, like a Macbook Air.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:03 PM   #6
melva
macrumors member

Charging Block is for CHARGING

It comes with a charging block for a reason. Use it!
melva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 06:09 PM   #7
jj48
macrumors regular

Take it back, get a refund and use the money to fund a plane ticket to somewhere you've never been before. The world is one giant retina display - without any backlight bleed at all.
jj48 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 06:26 PM   #8
robeddie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj48 View Post
Take it back, get a refund and use the money to fund a plane ticket to somewhere you've never been before. The world is one giant retina display - without any backlight bleed at all.
+1
Thank you. Even better than my suggestion!
robeddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 08:42 PM   #9
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Just because you do not see a need for an iPad, does not mean others feel the same way. I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad and I use the iPad a lot more in bed than a laptop. Sometimes, a touch screen/tablet is better for the use. That being said, telling someone to return it is their decision - not yours.
Old May 9, 2012, 05:46 AM   #10
Dkorda
macrumors 6502

Take it back the.. Get a refund..

Buy and Android tablet, then you'll see why iPad is the best selling tablet on the planet.
Dkorda is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad